Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I check out eBay a lot, and I'm glad I do. There was a listing last week for a mint condition JPM shifter for 129.99, so I know I couldn't pass that up. I received it in the mail today and installed it within 45 minutes of getting the package. Boy am I impressed! I didn't realize how bulky and imprecise the OEM shifter was compared to this aftermarket one. Not only that, but it looks beautiful. Install was a breeze. The allen head screw came out within 30 seconds of me simply tugging. Anyone who is on the fence of purchasing one, just go for it. I couldn't wait to get off work today just to drive her :)

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I have the same shifter from JPM. I love it!!!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but the JPM simply substitutes another lever for the stock item, with a different ball on top, ergo the ratio is unchanged unless you get a shorter lever (which is mentioned in Rob's referenced thread).

So shifting with a stock length JPM shifter should feel exactly like a stock one, no? And a short lever will make it seem faster shifting, although it you are the type that holds the shifter around the lever/ball instead of with your hand on top, there will be no difference at all except aesthetic (and I happen to prefer the look of the stock shifter ball, so have never been inclined to change mine).

The current production seem to be adjustable length over 5" (which is quite a bit) and it looks like a very well executed product, and if I thought I needed/wanted a shorter shifter (I don't as I hold mine around not over) or a different knob (I don't, see above) I'd have no hesitation going for this.

Maybe you could sell your stock shifters to Colorado owners as special sport shifters, as I imagine they had much longer shifters stock (didn't they?):devil:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong
OK, I will. ;)

The JPM lever is a bit shorter than stock. It also removes the heavy steel castings at the top and bottom of the stock rod (actually forms part of the stock knob)... for which there are pros and cons depending on your viewpoint.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Great find, good deal.

Yep, love mine, but have to admit it rattles now because their no bushings to absorb the transmission vibrations. Another feature is being able to replace the shifter w/custom aftermarket shifters.

HotRodShiftKnob.com :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Mine is also adjustable for height. So in addition to the second radius of gyration improvements, I can tune the length for my driving style.

the threaded portion is long and comes equipped with a lock nut, so you can raise or lower the shift ball a considerable distance. Also you can go with a standard threaded ball which the stock shifter precludes. And the mass and inertia of the JPM shifter is much less than the factory unit.

:thumbs:

Radius of gyration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moment of Inertia and Radius of Gyration | Engineering Mechanics Review

·
Registered
410 Posts
Really wish the jpm auto shifter still existed. Mine is all worn out from its previous owner. That and I would prefer a nicer look to it

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know this has been beat to death somewhere, I contemplated this short throw shifter, just to put a different shifter knob on top, but I still can't break that $$#!!!$ allen head bolt loose, and I have TRIED...... Looks like I am going to take it to my garage next week, just to pay the labor to get it loosened so I can change it when I wish.....I tried the finger nail polish remover thing, to "supposedly" dissolve any locktite or what ever is there.....I just can't break it free, no amount of extra leverage made it budge......anyone else know of any tricks???

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
I used a soldering iron to heat the screw slightly and then used a hammer on the end of the Allen wrench and it broke lose.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I know this has been beat to death somewhere, I contemplated this short throw shifter, just to put a different shifter knob on top, but I still can't break that $$#!!!$ allen head bolt loose, and I have TRIED...... Looks like I am going to take it to my garage next week, just to pay the labor to get it loosened so I can change it when I wish.....I tried the finger nail polish remover thing, to "supposedly" dissolve any locktite or what ever is there.....I just can't break it free, no amount of extra leverage made it budge......anyone else know of any tricks???
You need significant heat, and a sturdy allen socket.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used a soldering iron to heT the screw slightly and then used a hammer on the end of the Allen wrench and it broke lose.
Thanks!.....:thumbs:

Say I read something earlier about "armor insiginia" on shift knob didn't I....would this have anything to do with, say, Army or Marines, as in (well in my case, Army 19kilo M1A1 tanker)....??....

Just wondering....

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have had my JPM shifter for a couple of years now and love it. Every time I get into the car I have to admire the look and the feel. Unlike some people I have not experienced any vibration or rattling. I had problems getting the allen screw out when I installed it. I tried squirting acetone around the screw with no results. I twisted a couple of allen wrenches into pretzels before getting a socket type allen wrench, which along with heat from a pencil style butane torch, finally did the trick. I am heading for NASSM next summer and intend on purchasing one of Dave's short throw shifters. I think the JPM and DDM combination will be outstanding.

Don from Nanaimo currently in Puerto Vallarta

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Thanks!.....:thumbs:

Say I read something earlier about "armor insiginia" on shift knob didn't I....would this have anything to do with, say, Army or Marines, as in (well in my case, Army 19kilo M1A1 tanker)....??....

Just wondering....
Yes
anything starting with an M but before the M1

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I have had my JPM shifter for a couple of years now and love it. Every time I get into the car I have to admire the look and the feel. Unlike some people I have not experienced any vibration or rattling.
When I got my JPM shifter (with Hurst shift ball) I started to hear this horrible buzzing noise, when accelerating in 1st & 2nd. I honestly thought something was wrong in my transmission :(

Then it twigged that it might be the shifter itself - and with judicious use of mastic and a hand-hammered spacer that allowed me to tighten the shift ball really well (yet still keep the shift pattern straight). I could make the noise go away. Still it would re-occur from time to time and I'd have to remove/repeat.

Said this before, but I'll repeat - the GREAT news, is that since I got the DDM short-throw kit, it has deleted that resonance and I have NO noise issues any more. Yay, DDM Dave!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
The JPM looks awesome but the internals are the same as stock. the DDM short throw repositions the yoke higher which reduces movement. Both are a nice upgrade though.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
The JPM looks awesome but the internals are the same as stock. the DDM short throw repositions the yoke higher which reduces movement. Both are a nice upgrade though.
I agree. I like the appearance of the stock shifter/knob. I looked at the JPM and figured there was no point - no gain in shift ratio and I didn't want to change to the (for me) uglier after market knobs.

The DDM is a different animal though - a very significant improvement in throw and feel. I'm enjoying mine!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts