Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with Pontiac? So far, I've been to three Los Angeles area Pontiac Dealers, and none of them are prepared to start a waiting list. I've offered to leave a deposit to no avail. Mercedes has a waiting list program.....years in advance. I put a deposit down in October of 1999 for the next generation SL. I was seventh on the list and took delivery of my car in June of 2002. Wake up Pontiac and get with the program!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Maybe they figure that the production volume will be high enough that a waiting list won't be necessary. Another possibility is that those particular dealers want to price gouge the first couple of cars they get. I imagine that California might be one of the hot markets for the car given the climate and life style.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well you're also talking about a Mercedes. I'd expect most Mercedes dealers to have long term waiting lists. The waiting lists for a car are usually something instituted by the dealers. Like if you read some of the areas on the forum we have two dealers on here who have started waiting lists for people already. The Solstice doesn't have enough renown yet I'd bet to warrant waiting lists at most dealers. Since as we've also seen most dealers don't even have a clue what the Solstice is. When we hit the 6 month count down to release, I'm betting we'll see dealers with more info and waiting lists forming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm on a waiting list....

I am on the waiting list here in Las Vegas. I went to the Courtesy Pontiac dealer and they were more than willing to put me on a waiting list, either with a deposit or with out, the deposits take presidence but as of two weeks ago there were only four people on the list.

I do kind of like this one though, the dealer sent me a letter from the sales manager, I quote it below.

"...I was disappointed to hear from [Salesman Name] that you did not drive home in that new Solstice you looked at. I want you to know how important your business is to us. I would personally like to talk to you. I have the authority here at Courtesy GMC-Pontiac-Buick to make every deal happen."

I'm just wondering if I should call the sales manager and if so what I should say??

I really just couldn't hold my laughter, it's hilarious how these dealerships work!! :glol

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
hehehe that is pretty hilarious. ask him if you can come in tomorrow and drive home in the new Solstice :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It’s the dealers you went to and not Pontiac. The dealers are basically on their own to set up waiting lists and deposits if they chose to. Pontiac will probably be taking actual orders from dealers for cars sometime over the winter and/or into the spring. Usually a few months in advance of the expected delivery date of the first vehicles.

My guess is that the dealers you visited are waiting for final ordering information from Pontiac before creating a waiting list. However, there are some dealers who have waiting lists started too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The one and only Pontiac dealership in Bakersfield won't make a waiting list until 2005. He claims that his accounting system won't handle it right this year. Oh, yeah?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
hoffman said:
The one and only Pontiac dealership in Bakersfield won't make a waiting list until 2005. He claims that his accounting system won't handle it right this year. Oh, yeah?
Bah. They can make their own un-official waiting lists that don't necisarily take deposits. Then when their system permits it then get the actual deposits from people. Or they could at least just setup some sort of waiting list at least.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
hoffman said:
All he needs is a sheet of paper labeled “Solstice waiting list” and be done with it. He could refuse deposits until after Jan 1, or whenever he decides he is ready for them.

I would think any dealer would really be interested in getting contact information from interested buyers. They know the car will be available sometime in 2005, and they will want to find buyers for them eventually. So why not have a list of people dying to plunk down money on them as soon as possible.

As soon as they get the ok to place factory orders, they could call anyone on the list, inform them orders are being taken, and offer to let them come in, chose what they want on the car and place a deposit at that time. If they don’t, another dealer might.

These are the buyers they want too. Guaranteed sales as soon as the car hits the lot. No interest or insurance payments to GM on the car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Expect the dealers do not want to accept any deposits until they know how far they can mark the Solstice up. Am sure a few are willing to put down deposits without knowing the price but I work for a living.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
padgett said:
Expect the dealers do not want to accept any deposits until they know how far they can mark the Solstice up. Am sure a few are willing to put down deposits without knowing the price but I work for a living.
Good point. There will obviously be dealers who mark these things up, and they are not going to want to tie up the first cars in pre-orders at or under MSRP. Some dealers may have questions on what kind of allocation they will receive too before deciding on a pricing strategy and how many pre-orders they will accept.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Money shouldn't get in the way.

If one has a passion for something, money becomes secondary. Some people commented that; "they work for a living", meaning I suppose that they "work" for their money while others may not have to. Sounds like someone that didn't have the common sense to go to a good college and get themselves a career. Either that or someone who married their high school sweetheart, started having kids in their early 20's, and is forced into driving a pick-up or minivan. Bitterness is an ugly thing my friends. Financial success isn't all that hard to come by. Planning and common freaken sense is most that you'll need.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Oh good! He's back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts