Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Now if only GM will anounce that motor with a turbo/supercharger attached and available at the start of production... :lol

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, see how the 4 cubic feet are layed out. And if we're really lucky there might actually be a roof in there :D

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I've perused that photo many a time over the months. Anyone here like the engine cover? Doesn't the Ecotec have the spark plugs mounted directly vertical over the cylinders, about where those 4 bumps are? Seems to me that you could make that attractive without just slapping a piece of plastic over it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
As I said on a previous thread several months ago, the area in front of the radiator appears to be under utiltized. The flat pieces of sheet metal that connects the frame rails to the inner fenders could be replaced with covered pans that extend up to just under the hood and headlights. Between these two compartments, this would increase the storage space by as much as 1.5 cubic feet. When you've only got 2 cubic feet of trunk space (with the top down), it would make quite a difference.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
I've perused that photo many a time over the months. Anyone here like the engine cover? Doesn't the Ecotec have the spark plugs mounted directly vertical over the cylinders, about where those 4 bumps are? Seems to me that you could make that attractive without just slapping a piece of plastic over it.
Using plastic covers is all the rage these days in engine bays. That way they don't have to try and make all the wires and hoses for the computer and emissions equipment look pretty. I'd rather the cover not be there, but I'll likely leave it too.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
From a marketing and sales point of view the covers are a great idea. From the point of view of a mechanic they suck. Anything that makes the engine bay look clean, organized and high tech will help sell cars to people that will never work on their own car. We are used to seeing messy looking engine bays with hoses and wires going everywhere, and when we see something that is neat clean and even styled, then it gives the impression of advancement over your current car or cheaper cars with out covers.

Making an engine bay look neat, simple and organized with all of the requirements of smog and electronic controls without a cover is a daunting task. The cover makes this pretty easy and cost effective. If it helps sell cars they should do it. Everyone is doing it, and if Pontiac doesn't, it looks to be lower tech to people who don't know or care about mechanicals. This is most buyers. The good news is, if you don't like the cover, you don't need it. Yank it off and look upon all the techno speghetti in all it's glory. If you plan to service your own car, this is definately the thing to do. It will also reduce the weight of your car by about 1lb! :cheers

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
...Seems to me that you could make that attractive without just slapping a piece of plastic over it.
AeroDave said:
From a marketing and sales point of view the covers are a great idea. From the point of view of a mechanic they suck. Anything that makes the engine bay look clean, organized and high tech will help sell cars to people that will never work on their own car....

Actually,

engine covers have a very important purpose. They contribute SIGNIFICANTLY to sound isolation and creation of a "quality" engine sound. It might not seem like it, but a simple plastic engine cover with a moderate hood blanket can make a car that normally sounds like a john deere sound more like the machine it's supposed to be. They make the dash mat even that much more effective.

VW has done this for ages - many folks love the sound of the engine in their VW. Caddy has done this too. Even the SSR.

And if you are going to put one in, might as well have it look good, rather than just a chunk of black plastic with some sound deadener over the top.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Using the covers for sound isolation and control is a great idea. Good thought! We certainly do not want to be driving a John Deer Solstice!

·
Registered
72 Posts
They can also protect the unsuspecting person/child :nono from burning themselves on the headers or other very hot engine parts wile looking at the beauty that is a GM engine. :cool

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
Actually,

engine covers have a very important purpose. They contribute SIGNIFICANTLY to sound isolation and creation of a "quality" engine sound. It might not seem like it, but a simple plastic engine cover with a moderate hood blanket can make a car that normally sounds like a john deere sound more like the machine it's supposed to be. They make the dash mat even that much more effective.

VW has done this for ages - many folks love the sound of the engine in their VW. Caddy has done this too. Even the SSR.

And if you are going to put one in, might as well have it look good, rather than just a chunk of black plastic with some sound deadener over the top.
I have never owned a car with an engine cover before. I did not realize they had any sound deadening properties. The hood blanket I knew about, it deadens sound, helps regulate engine temps by keeping it more constant and helps protect the paint on the hood. Do the covers have the dense fiber material in them? I imagine they cut down mostly on valve clatter and induction noise. Good idea. I thougth they were primarily a marketing tool, but if they have a practical function, that's even better. I'll probably keep mine on then. Might try it both ways just to see the difference in sound just for kicks. Thanks for the info. That's a reason I love this forum, I learn things.
:cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Me too, I wanna see inside the trunk. :D Hope theres enough room for my golf clubs......... :smile :smile :smile :smile

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Interesting, obviously golfers are attracted to roadsters. On this site, the number one item most people seem concerned about being able to stow is golf clubs. It comes up again and again. It's becoming clear that roadster designers need to start designing storage just for golf clubs in the car. The goofy box thing that goes on the bumper hitch mount is a reasonable aftermarket solution, or maybe a luggage rack, but it seems designers need to concider this need and possibly provide a good spot. Could give a company an edge over another.

As for the Solstice, my guess is you'll have to put them on the passenger seat, or in back using a luggage rack, or the bumper hitch mod.(kinda lame looking.) It's a tough one for designers, they want to keep a roadster light, small, balanced and compliant to Gov. regs., but we want to have all that, and still carry our usual stuff around. Some of you may have to wait for a coupe (either the Solstice coupe concept, or Nomad concept springs to mind.:thumbs) or a larger Kappa variant.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not sure everyone golf’s, but golf bags have become somewhat of a standard for measuring useable trunk space. They are big, bulky things that eat up a lot of room, and if you can stuff a couple of them into a trunk you know that you have some reasonable trunk space. So even if were all not golfers we all have an idea of how much useable space there may be if we can say 2 bags will fit, or 3 bags, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
BMW actively promotes the fact that the Z4 can carry a golf bag in their trunk. It would be a selling feature.

:cool

1 - 20 of 41 Posts