Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I'm new to Synthetic oil ( I'm thinking about Mobile 1 15,000 mile )
and wonder about it benefits over conventional oil.

Is it worth the extra money???

If its 15,000 then do you just change the filter every 5000 miles or so???

I have the convenience package, which will say:
oil life = 92%.
but this is based on 5 or 6,000 miles, ... right????
Could this be reset for a 15,000 interval????

There are alot of questions, I know....

Maybe it would be easier to stick with the conventional oil...????

PS: I think I saw a synthetic oil on the shelves that was not rated for 15,000 miles but for 5,000 mile intervals......

Is there much benefits from hte synthetic stuff?????

thks
frank
:willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
515 Posts
There's a ton of info out there, but you can boil it down to a few things.
  • Stands up to high temps better
  • Is a better lubricant
  • Bonds to engine parts
A friend of mine is an engineer for a major engine component supplier [edited, just in case]. Since they switched their test stands to synthetics, lifespan has tripled. Once burn in is over, I will switch to synthetics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some reasons

There are almost too many benifits to using synthetic oil over conventional oils that can be listed but here are a few and the miles depends on the type or brand you use but any synthetic oil will last over 5k miles easy.
When mobil 1 first came out to compete with Amsoil they stated their oil would last 25k miles/one year as Amsoil claimed (which they still do and have too many years of proof that it does last that long and still protects as long as you change the oil filter every 6 months. I've done this over 9 years. If you buy their most expensive oil (Amsoil again) the series 2000 it's rated up to 35k or one year. Either way you save money in oil costs and less pollution goes back to the earth.
Synthetic oils (I will only state Amsoil or mobil 1 in any example as I don't have any experience with other brands) have a lot more additives which helps them last longer, cause less friction and keeps them from oxidizing (sorry about the spelling) so you get either very little or no sludge buildup in the motor.
They have the same (again the spelling) molecular size with all weights and a lot higher flashpoint so you don't burrn off the lighter weights and the oil doesn't get thicker with age as does conventional oil so it keeps it's viscosity and you don't use as much oil.
If you live in hot or cold weather and cold weather is really important here because of their wider pour ratings which means if it's below freezing you know how thick regular oil gets and this can cause most engine damage at startup which is where most wear happens anyway, with synthetics it pretty much stays the same thickness so it flows freely at startup. The same with hot weather, it won't thin out like regular oils do. The cold part is why the military uses it in alaska and for the heat range they use it in jet engines where regular oil couldn't keep up.
You get better gas mileage, it keeps the engine almost wear free and sludge free. If you use it in the transmission and rearend as I do the gas mileage is more noticeable I've found and the shifting is much smoother all around but mostly when the car is cold as regular gear oil is VERY thick at cold temps.
If you decide to use it great, I've used 3 different types over the years and have found differences in them but everyone has their favorite so I'm not going to recomend any brands, that's up to you, do some research, there is tons of information on the web about them, comparisons and so forth and I've found them to be pretty true by personal experience but the difference only shows with the top of the line make of a companies syn. oil. The next level down is pretty much the same as the other brands pretty much.
The car I have now is a Audi Quattro, with regular oil that it came with and it was fresh or pretty new the hyd. lifters made a racket for about 10seconds after startup which my cousin who I got the car from told me it did it from day one so it was normal. After going to synthetic the lifters make noise for never more than 2 seconds and mostly less than one second. The engine change was fantastic in smoothness and how much quiter it runs. I didn't really notice the gas mileage increase until I changed the trans and rear end along with the engine of course but after that it was noticeable, about 3mpg or so. Mobil one's curent high mileage campain is a joke though, their oil always could last that long but they were after the profits and finally are bending to pressure from car companies and enviromental concerns. It was treated a lot different in Europe car manuals for oil change lenghts using synthetics for quite a while before it started in the U.S. That's the second reason I never cared for that brand of oil, I don't like to be B.S.'d....
But do your own research anyway, that is what the web is good for, you'll find a ton of stuff about this subject. I think I just gave about a half a ton right here, sorry about the long post. Good luck...

G

·
Run dino oil for the first 1000 - 1500 miles, and then switch to full synthetic. Don't forget to buy a good filter too.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll make this a priority :thumbs:

·
Registered
265 Posts
well, now my question is, is the oil filter in a place you can actually get to it and change it yourself easily? what about the oil plug to drain it out (though i'm guessing it's gotta be relatively easy to reach from underneath..) hmm. getting under that 3" is gonna be tough.

·
Registered
169 Posts
first 1k said:
Hi all...

I have the convenience package, which will say:
oil life = 92%.
but this is based on 5 or 6,000 miles, ... right????
Could this be reset for a 15,000 interval????

:willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy:
I am also wondering about using synthetic.
As to the DIC in the car, I thought that it actually monitored the oil life and wasn't just set for mileage intervals. does any one know for sure out there? :confused:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nope, the DIC just counts up to 3000 miles . I don't know of any vehicle that has an oil age sensor.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
bgfpt said:
I am also wondering about using synthetic.
As to the DIC in the car, I thought that it actually monitored the oil life and wasn't just set for mileage intervals. does any one know for sure out there? :confused:
GM engineers took this knowledge of operating parameters and oil life and built a mathematical model that is run by the car's powertrain control computer. The Oil Life System monitors engine temperature, combustion events and other parameters to gauge the oil's life.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/news_issues/news/oillife_monitor_041603.html

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/news_issues/news/oillife_how_041603.html

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/news_issues/news/oillife_qa_041603.html

here are several GM links that describe the GMOL system that is part of the DIC

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
JimmyMood said:
Nope, the DIC just counts up to 3000 miles . I don't know of any vehicle that has an oil age sensor.
the GMOL as part of the DIC.....isnt part of a mileage count down so to speak...at least not the one in my chevy...based on the parameters above..the algorithm calculates the % of oil life....not based on miles alone..but you are correct ..there isnt a oil sensor

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks PAO :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Chris said:
There's a ton of info out there, but you can boil it down to a few things.
  • Stands up to high temps better
  • Is a better lubricant
  • Bonds to engine parts
A friend of mine is an engineer for a major engine component supplier [edited, just in case]. Since they switched their test stands to synthetics, lifespan has tripled. Once burn in is over, I will switch to synthetics.
Are the synthetic oils compatable with the ploymer coating on the pistons?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I am all for synthectic I'd wait till the car has 6,000 miles on it before i switch. Change the oil twice with regular oil before its got 6,000 miles. It gives the motor time to for seat the valves.STICK ALWAYS TO SYNTHECTIC AFTER .

·
Registered
496 Posts
Synthetic Oil

dave clancy said:
I am all for synthectic I'd wait till the car has 6,000 miles on it before i switch. Change the oil twice with regular oil before its got 6,000 miles. It gives the motor time to for seat the valves.STICK ALWAYS TO SYNTHECTIC AFTER .
If you use Synthetic oil, do you have to keep the recommended Dino oil change frequency to maintain the GM New Car warranty coverage?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I dont beleive there is a standard GM interval change././.this gets us back in the debate of the every 3k oil change....remember some GM cars have the GMOL in the information center.....that is the GM oil life monitor....which indicates % of oil life remaining before a recommended change.......Im running synthetic...and average oil changes between 6-7K..and still have 40-50% left on my GMOL monitor in my 04 chevy.....

Im not sure if the solstice will have the GMOL in the DIC or not......anyone have an answer to this one??

·
Registered
417 Posts
gosh an oil thread i havent seen one of these since my motorcycles. btw if you buy a mercedes benz your engine warranty is voided if you dont use mobil 1. true. its in the manual. ive switched to mobil 1 in my prius and for the first time in my life ive comfortably switched from 3000 miles to 5000mile change which is what toyota recommends. no drawbacks except price. bfd so to speak
fred from nashville ;)

·
Registered
621 Posts
When's the best time to put synthetic in the differential and gear box? Would Red Line oil be the best to use?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Drex said:
When's the best time to put synthetic in the differential and gear box? Would Red Line oil be the best to use?
i would make the change at the first recomended fluid change for those, which i believe is 12 months or 12k miles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
synthetic since '70's

Have used Mobil 1 since it came out. original story in "Popular Science" sometime in the '70's. drove a Lincoln for 100K miles, just changed filters and added one qt. of oil every 25K mulie. engine @ 100k when torn down was within new engine specs. That sold me, been using ever since, changing every 10K miles. Good filter is a must.

My '03 Bravada has an oil % indicator, at 10K it still reads 30-35% besides changing every 10K vs every 3K actually saves money. 3 oilchanges @ $20 vs 1 oil change @ $35 do the math.

I change at 3K and 10K for first two changes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts