Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a very good battery tender for my 08 GXP being wintered over in the garage here in the Boulder, CO area. There will be some very nice sunny winters days here, and the forecast is for a milder winter in Colorado, but still need a battery tender for the worst stretches of weather.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've had very good luck for 20+ years with the actual Deltron Battery Tender brand on my motorcycles and seasonal cars. That said, none of them have Li or gel batteries. For something like my Solstice & and old Studebaker with virtually no load while in hibernation I just use the .80 amp output Battery Tender Jr. and for occasional use on my van and winter car I plug in the regular 1.25 amp Battery Tender Plus. The plus has a feature where the green "charged" light begins to blink when the charge level has risen to over 80%. IMO, it's nice to have that because it gives an idea of where the charge is/was when you plug in. On my motorcycles I expect the green to start blinking within an hour. When used on winter stored cars, I use a digital appliance timer and cheap power strip with all the Tenders pugged into it, to come on every Saturday at 9am, for 26 hours. Any battery not at green light on Sunday morning is considered suspect.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Anymore I think most of them are coming from the same factories in China anyway. I would be wary of the cheaper ones out there more for reliability concerns. It would stink to think your battery is being tended when your car is idle only to find out it wasn't.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a CTEK MXS 5.0, I've been really happy with it. I mostly use it just as a top-up charger/reconditioner and not a tender, but it functions in both roles. I'd recommend it highly.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
Both the factory batteries lasted much longer than we ever thought. We changed both ours at 7 years. They were still working but were on the knee of the curve so it was time. We did not use battery tenders but instead made sure that we started and thoroughly warmed up the car and / or took a drive every 10 - 14 days mostly to keep the batteries conditioned.

But as we observed reports of battery failures and knowing that once a lead acid battery is discharged it is permanently damaged, we began to experience BATTERY ANXIETY!

This presents itself as late night sweats and questions. Did I run the cars this week? Will they start this weekend? If Lovie takes out the Dragon will I get the dreaded phone call "I'm at the mall and my car wont start so I'm going shopping till you get here . . ."

I decided it was time to treat for BATTERY ANXIETY and just get the battery tenders. Which I did. One for the Dragon and two for the PunisheR. Actually three for PunisheR. PunisheR has the normal automotive system battery and a second battery in the trunk for the security systems. And a third battery that is taken to shows and powers the special effects.

Now my routine is I back the cars into the garage, open the hoods, install the hood locks and hook up the battery tenders. No more BATTERY ANXIETY. I sleep better and I exercise the cars when I want not when I get the night sweats.

I agree with the above post, the specific brand is in my opinion not as important as the fact that the tender has reliable performance and a proven history. Over charging a battery can be nearly as bad as letting it go dead. In the "old days" we used to have chargers but no one had a "tender". Now you can find battery tenders just about everywhere. >:)

I have had 8? tenders and never had one malfunction or quit. They tend to walk out of the shop into a club members garage and not make it back home . . but I have never had one just stop charging or cause a battery problem.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a Stanley tender. It has a magnet on the bottom and it stays on my windshield frame on top of the cover. My power cable goes up to an outlet on the ceiling.

Tim.

·
Registered
26 Posts
is it better to leave plugged in live all the time, or following suggestion of putting on a timer to charge sat to Sunday?
I'm in Ontario, and last my battery was completely fried, which I didn't know until I tried to use a battery tender.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is my 08 GXP battery a "Gel Cell"?

Battery Tender 021-0156 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger True Gel Cell Model.

What's a Gel Cell?
The Gel Cell battery is similar to the AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery in that its contents are sealed, but different because technically the AGM battery is still considered to be a wet cell. The guts of a Gel Cell contain a silica additive that causes it to set up or stiffen, first like Jell-O, then after subsequent discharge/charge cycles more like peanut brittle. Micro-cracks form in this gelled electrolyte that provide paths for the oxygen recombination reactions between the positive and negative plates. The recharge voltages on this type of cell are lower than the other styles of lead acid battery making it probably the most sensitive cell in terms of adverse reactions to over-voltage charging, and thus needing special care.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
Rob, What did you mean by "hood Locks"?
If the hood slams shut it can damage the paint on the hood and or fenders. We make hood locks that hold the hood open for club members

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Been discussed on the forum before and can read up using a few basic searches. You'll get a lot more info from a few searches than from a few posts in a new thread.

I recommend a smart battery tender. I chose a battery tender plus because it has a higher charge rate than many other trickle chargers and a 4 step charging mode. It has a great warranty and I've used it without issue for >10 years.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
is it better to leave plugged in live all the time, or following suggestion of putting on a timer to charge sat to Sunday?
I'm in Ontario, and last my battery was completely fried, which I didn't know until I tried to use a battery tender.
A "smart" tender monitors the voltage and only sends a charge to the battery when it needs it. It is unnecessary to use a timer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A "smart" tender monitors the voltage and only sends a charge to the battery when it needs it. It is unnecessary to use a timer.
Absolutely true, my decision to use a timer is personal. By having all 4 Tenders come on every Sat morning at 9 in the off-season I've made a habit of checking them mid day when home to see where the charge cycle(s) is at. Any Tender not at solid or flashing green by then is cause for concern and I check back to see when/if it finally finishes charging. IMHO, any battery that can't last a week's storage has to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts