Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems some of us are looking to get the best performance out of our new Solstice, when it arrives. From looking at the all the options available we could shave a good deal of weight by ordering (not ordering) the right options. From the TV series "Dream Car Garage" (Speed TV) they claim it takes 15 whp to move every additional 100 lbs. So, if you ordered your new Solstice with locking differential, cloth seats, polished wheels, no AC, no power options then you would be shaving a good deal of weight to start. Again, this is for the performance minded set and those who want the daily driver with all the comforts then this may not be for you.

Once you have your base Solstice in hand, you could then begin shaving more weight. Remove radio and speakers, change to ligher seats (saving could be over 40 lbs right here), downsize to -1 or -2 wheels (lower springs recommend for this swap), remove top from truck, carbon fiber hood (painted or unpainted). These changes just mention could make your 2860 lb Solstice weigh under 2700 lbs! It would be like adding 25 whp to your car!

I would look at drivetrain updates too. Intake, exhaust, timing, computer mod would add to the hp rating too. My old Integra GS-R with 163 whp and 129 lbs of torque, weighing 2613 lbs would run low 6 seconds 0-60 times and 14+ seconds in the quarter mile. Imagine what your 2650+ lb Solstice would do with 170 whp and 150 lbs of torque could do.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Cutting hundreds of pounds out of the Solstice is definately a way to make it faster with little or no engine modifications, but it is still going to be massivlely expensive. Especially when you start talking about lightweight seats, carbon fiber hood and trunk. Its certainly a viable option, but not one that will be cheap. Also, if GM offers a higher output engine in a year or two, a question of whether these upgrades are really cost effective would have to be weighed. But for someone serious about making major modifications, its definately a route that can be taken.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Crate Motor

LS7 Small Block Engine
17802397 Coming Fall of 2005
Not: available at this time, coming fall of 2005
Price: Not available at this time.

SKU: 17802397
PRICE: Fall of 2005

Description
This small-block V-8 dreams big, displacing big-block cubic inches at 7.0 Liters (427 cubic inches) and big-block power at 500 hp at 6200 rpm. It also benches 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm. Helping to create its high power and high revving capability are details such as cylinder heads with computer numerical control (CNC) intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers - which creates ports with surgical accuracy for maximum power production. In addition, the intake valves and connecting rods are made out of high-strength lightweight titanium. The LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain's new Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

Might be a tight fit my new SOL! :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Same exterior dimensions as a LS1 too, its not like you have to make room for a 427 big block. But what is it going to cost, 20K?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Just real quick I went out to the shop and measured the LS1 against the Ecotec. With the funky intake manifold on the ecotec the lenth and width are pretty much the same for the LS1 and Ecotec. The LS1 is about 4 inches taller though. With the dry sump oil system on the LS7 it should sit a lot lower then a standard LS1.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LS7 Pricing

The actual cost of the LS7 hasn't been released yet, but give the current pricing you can figure about $13K complete.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If it's $13k it will be the bargain of the century. The C5R block alone is over $6k. Lingenfelter, More Performance, and MTI all charge well over $20,000 for similar engines, and they don't use titanium con rods and valves. I'll be shocked (thrilled, actually) if the LS7 costs anywhere near $13k.

I also think that engine is severely limited by its cam - it's only 211/230, yet the heads flow ridiculous amounts of air - 360 cfm at .600" lift. A non-emissions compliant aftermarket cam and long tube headers could easily add another hundred horsepower. Well, enough about the LS7. Back to the ecotec.

·
Registered
126 Posts
AZJuez said:
Just leave your 250 lb wife at home. That will boost you by 30+ whp right off the bat!
:lol:
Yeah, then go on a diet :yesnod: !!!
on my current Fwd car this is the order I did performance

1.* turbo kit installed $3k
2. forged wheels:centerlines 17's 13#'s each $800.00 for 4 +$100.00 each tires , Falken azena sports.
3. eibach lowering springs-sportlines- ( I forget, 300.00 installed.)
4. 2.5" catback exhaust with muffler 250.00
5 Rps HD clutch :street disk + a monster size pressure plate 300.00
6 fidanza aluminum flywheel 250.00

*The turbo kit has a short ram intake, with a highflow airfilter, and the down pipe was 2.5" exhaust. + for $100.00 I had water injection installed for high boost applications, the kit also has an intercooler.

I went with the lighter wheels and flywheel to pull weight off moving parts. It did make a difference. The clutch was added at the same time as the flywheel to hold the extra power and to do both at the sametime saved on installation costs.

I tried to be smart about my performance mods, but I must confess that the turbo made the biggest difference. AND, it was the most costly.
I did it first, and I am glad I did. The rest was added later over a 1 year span, in a Pontiac Vibe ..1.8 liter motor now putting well over 200hp to the ground.. dyno was 210whp at 8psi and I turn it up to 13 psi at the track and sometimes up to 11pli on the road....Next mods are a dualstage boost controller, and an LSD.......OR...............................................................................................................PONTIAC SOLSTICE!!!!!!!!!! :willy: :willy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts