·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Adrenaline said:
How can you burn out the clutch? Was he riding it or something?
Well, since a clutch is in essence just two disks sliding past each other and gripping when brought together, it wears out over time. Driving in certain ways can cause this to happen fairly quickly too. Burning out a clutch is really just a term for destroying it much quickly then normal driving would do.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok, just wondered, I can see how a transmission would go out if you shift pretty aggressively, but I just couldn't see it being "abused".

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Adrenaline said:
How can you burn out the clutch? Was he riding it or something?
With an 18 year old behind the wheel of a G35, I would suspect that he burnt the clutch out by constantly launching the car rather quickly! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
"Dropping the cluth" with the engine reved up is a good way to destroy one. Tons of Lancer EVO VIII owners were claiming Mitsubishi was putting faulty clutches in all the cars and were demanding recalls. Well Mitsu went under cover and discovered all these kids were dropping the clutch at 6000+ RPM when the engines producing 250HP+. It lets you get much faster acceleration for decreasing your 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. But it abuses the heck out of the clutch.

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
With an 18 year old behind the wheel of a G35, I would suspect that he burnt the clutch out by constantly launching the car rather quickly! ;)
I hope "launching too fast" is a WAY understated way of meaning dropping the clutch at 6K rpm, because I launch quickly all the time, but I don't drop the clutch to do it. So, how is the best way to engage a clutch for a fast 0-60 without dropping it at launch?

I do it by dis-engaging the clutch fast, but not dropping it, and once the clutch is out, I fully engage the pedal. THis may not make the clutch last as long as it could if I was gentle, but I'm sure it beets dropping the clutch BY FAR. good topic, keep it going, maybe in a new thread???

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
good topic, keep it going, maybe in a new thread???
Ask and you shall receive Rodeo... new thread to continue discussion! :thumbs:

Since I didn't want to steal the original post since it pertained to the old thread too, I'll summarize here:

Someone posted about a young driver who burned through the clutch of a G35 in under 6000 miles! The discussion continued with the first post of this thread.

·
4,592 Posts
Thanks Ff88! This could be a great topic!

Here's the story that started it all:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
here's a cute story posted on a different forum:

quote:
On an unrelated not, something I thought you guys might find a little amusing, my brother is the service manager at an infiniti dealership and he just had a very interesting case come in. A guy bought his 18yr old son a G35 coupe 6spd for graduation (lucky bastard). Well, 5400 miles later, the kid had completely burned out the clutch and the flywheel. The flywheel had actually turned blue it got so hot. The kid would have even kept driving it but so much hot clutch material got on the cam sensor that the car wouldn't run! What I couldn't figure out is how the kid couldn't smell it?....anyway...just a little funny story.
endquote

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I like to do 0-60s, I don't try to kill the car doing it, it's just fun to leave everyone behind you!

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I read the title of the thread, I took it wrong because it reminded me of my old '79 Honda Civic. I had to push the car, then hop in and pop the clutch to start it. ( bad battery, starter, plug wires, and everything else, was very hard to start when wet.) At least it was light!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Drag racers are cars specifically designed to do this. HOWEVER most real drag cars get torn down and rebuilt after every meet. So many people expect their own street cars to do the same types of things, but never thing about the repercutions of such actions. The kid in the G35 was probably drag racing all his friends, or taking it to the local strip. Like the sotry said though, it's hard to imagine the kid didn't know he was burning the clutch up. It defintely makes a distinct smell. I've done it on accident when I was first learning to drive stick, and you defintely remember that smell.

·
Registered
268 Posts
we got 180k out of a clutch on a twin turbo stealth. also if you want the clutch to last longet put a raceing clutch in it will be a little harder launch but you will get more life.

·
4,592 Posts
This subject didn't take off :(

Here's a related question:
when car mags do 0-60s, do they drop the clutch and smoke the wheels or engage without dropping the clutch?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I believe they do a little of both.

For 0-60 they all drop the clutch at high rpm, spin the wheels and launch as fast as possible. C&D also does a 5-60 test where the car is rolling and they just mash the pedal, more a test of torque apparently. Suprisingly, the 0-60 times are usually faster than the 5-60 times. my $.02

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Road and track usually puts their launch technique in the sub notes - many times they explain they do not smoke the clutch in attempting to get a perfect launch, and this may account for differences between the advertised and their tested 0-60.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is the purpose of waiting to shift until you hit 4k rpm or higher? In my Sunfire if I wait till 3k to shift I've already lost all acceleration, 99.99% of the time I shift at 2500-2600rpm to get the best possible acceleration.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Adrenaline said:
What is the purpose of waiting to shift until you hit 4k rpm or higher? In my Sunfire if I wait till 3k to shift I've already lost all acceleration, 99.99% of the time I shift at 2500-2600rpm to get the best possible acceleration.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying but I'll try to comment on what I think you're saying. Are you talking about launching the car or normal shifting between gears?

Most times if you're trying to accelerate as fast as possible you'll want your engine producing it's maximum power. Which for pretty much any car is near the red line usually. If you're launching the car and drop the car at the engines maximum power you're more then likely going to spin the tires some too depending on the car. It really takes practice but you can get faster 0-60 times doing it this way if you're good at it. For others the best way for them is a couple 1000 RPM below the redline so you don't spin the tires, or damage the clutch as much.

If you're talking about normal shifting between gears then shifting before 3000 RPM is WELL before an engine like the Sunfire's has built up it's full power. Depending on what engine you have it's much closer to 5500 RPM for most of them before they've created maximum power. So if you're shifting before then you're not actually acclerating at a fraction of the speed you could be. Shifting before 3000 RPM really just gains you less stress on the internals, and possibly better fuel economy from not reving so high.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm, I guess my observations have been wrong or my gear ratios are setup differently then most. In my car, gears 1-4 are setup (at least from what I've noticed) for 10-12mph increments, with 5th for anything above 45mph (50mph if I'm going up hill).

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That's what the manual suggests to do for normal/accelerated shifting. My Ford ZX2 manual has a very similair chart in it for suggested normal and accelerated driving. In reality though you can ride a gear till the redline. The closer to the redline you get the more power the engine is generating. So for example instead of shifting through the gears in 10mph increments up to 50pmh and being in 5th gear you could more then likely do it in in just 1st and 2nd gear with your car. So doing that with my car I can get from 0-60 in about 7.8s, but if I did the normal acceleration pattern it takes well over 15 seconds to go through all 5 gears to get upto 60mph.

·
4,592 Posts
brentil said:
So for example instead of shifting through the gears in 10mph increments up to 50pmh and being in 5th gear you could more then likely do it in in just 1st and 2nd gear with your car. So doing that with my car I can get from 0-60 in about 7.8s, but if I did the normal acceleration pattern it takes well over 15 seconds to go through all 5 gears to get upto 60mph.
I assume using the 5 gears is easier on the clutch in the example above?? But by how much, IOW, how bad is it to go to 60 fast with 1st 2nd and 3rd, no dropping the clutch though. I'd like to know if I should be taking it a bit easier on mine. Thanks!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried out letting the rpms go up to around 3k rpm on my way to and from school tonight. The acceleration is much better, I filled the gas tank tonight as well so I'll see how well the gas mileage does using the "shift at 3k or so" method. Right now I'm getting 32mpg (my Sunfire is only rated at 29), so by shifting much earlier then necessary I'm getting better gas mileage like you said.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts