Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a convertible before & bought my 2007 GXP in November. I am about ready to pull the cover off & clean it up. What is the best top cleaner to use? I am also considering getting one of the dual console cup holders. I am short so the driver's cup holder is worthless. Any opinions on the dual console version?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Here's an oldie but goody for you to read through.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f47/raggtopp-vs-303-a-29270/

I have used both and prefer the 303 but it's like asking what the best oil or wax is, everyone has a different opinion. You really can't go wrong with either.

Cup holder? DDM in my experience doesn't put out sub-par products and they stand behind their stuff 100%. Although I don't have one I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
This was the subject of a lot of discussion in previous years.

Here is one thread that will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know about caring for your convertible top.:thumbs:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f47/raggtopp-vs-303-a-29270/

Here is one input from that thread in case you lack the stamina to get this far. I find that I frequently, but not always, agree with this poster. :lol:

Confirmed that our factory top is made by Haartz Corporation and its Stayfast C

The Haartz Corporation - Stayfast C

And in fact Haartz recommends

Cloth Top Cleaning

CAMBRIA®, STAYFAST®, TWILLFAST®, SONNENLAND®
Solution Dyed Acrylic Topping Fabric

Ordering Information at bottom of page

Although the fabric does not promote mildew growth by itself, mildew may develop on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed. This is especially true in warm, humid, dark environments. A program of keeping the fabric clean through regular washings, BEFORE it gets dirty, will enhance the life and beauty of the acrylic and make successive cleaning easier.

Most automatic car washes will not harm cloth top fabrics. Washes with water jets and hanging cloths provide a more gentle cleaning action. Those using heavy barrel brushes could damage the top material. Haartz recommends hand washing.

The Haartz Corporation recommends using RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner and RAGGTOPP™ Protectant (available from Wolfsteins Pro-Series at tel: 800-377-4700, fax: 770-395-1353, e-mail: [email protected]).

Hand washing in shade or partial shade, not direct sunlight, is best. DO NOT USE DETERGENT. Bird and tree droppings, as well as other loose particle soils, should be removed immediately. Vacuum with a brush attachment and rinse thoroughly with water to remove loose particle soils. This will also prevent the soils from being redeposited during the cleaning process. Once the fabric has been rinsed thoroughly, spray RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner evenly over the entire surface while still wet. Allow the cleaner to soak for 10 to 20 minutes and then scrub lightly with a soft nylon brush or terry cloth rag. Rinse thoroughly, preferably until no remaining soap foam is observed. Additional cleanings may be required. It is best to determine the need for additional cleanings after the fabric has dried completely.

Washing with soap (ie. Ivory or Lux) and warm water is a safe alternative to RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner, but not as effective.

For more stubborn cases, mix a solution of no more than 1/2 cup (4oz.) bleach and 1/4 cup (2oz.) RAGGTOPP™ Cleaner per gallon of water, soak for approximately 20 minutes and scrub lightly as indicated above. (Excessive soaking with the bleach solution can deteriorate seam threads.) Rinse thoroughly to prevent streaking on painted and chrome surfaces. Several cleanings may be necessary.

Once dry, cleaning must be followed by re-water repelling with RAGGTOPP™ Protectant. (This product does not contain CFC's and therefore, is not harmful to the environment.) Failure to apply will result in rapid resoiling of the unprotected fabric.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
It's Deja Vu all over again! lol

I can vouch for the raggtop products as I just bought and used them about 3 weeks ago.

Can't vouch for 303, but I do intend on trying it this summer on the canvas on a pergola on our patio.

The raggtop really made the top look great in spite of some of the wear marks that are on int.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Which ever you choose, Raggtopp or 303, I'm not sure you can't go wrong.

I've personally never used the Raggtopp product(s), but have used the 303 products with positive results for years. Main reason I went with 303 is because I use some of their other products (i.e. Aerospace Protectant), and it is just easier/cheaper to order them all at once from the same place.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Careful with 303, its a petroleum based product..... I was not very happy with it. But that's my opinion.....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Next time I wash Llnda's 07 Sol, I'll use one of these products on the top. In the 20 minute soak time on a warm day, even in the shade, doesn't the fabric get too dry? How much soak time do most of you allow?

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
Personally I vacume the top first while its in the garage. This gets a lot of the dust out of the weave of the fabric which is what does a lot of the mechanical damage to the top.

Then I wet it well and spray on the cleaner. I try to keep it wet for as long as it wants to stay wet depending on weather conditions. Then before it can dry I flood the top with low pressure water which hopefully floats out much of the dirt that was not picked up in vacuming.

Then I use a soft brush on the top. I then wash the rest of the car and dry it. By the time I get the car washed and dry, the top is generally dried as well. I then spray on the Raggtop in a crossing pattern starting with the seams and then the rest of the fabric. I let that dry and its good to go.

Both the tan top on the Green Dragon and my black top still look factory fresh. No fading, no streaching, no sun damage. I also use our kappa blankets when ever the tops are in the trunk which makes me feel a lot better.:willy:

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I will try applying mine with a paint brush this time. Instead of spraying it and allowing 80% of it to fly away!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I will try applying mine with a paint brush this time. Instead of spraying it and allowing 80% of it to fly away!
That's exactly why I like the 303. You can put it on with a paint brush and soak the living daylights out of it. :lol:
I found the RaggTopp spray to be a pain.
Really though, why are we rehashing this, haven't we covered this in the other thread and agreed to disagree?

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
That's exactly why I like the 303. You can put it on with a paint brush and soak the living daylights out of it. :lol:
I found the RaggTopp spray to be a pain.
Really though, why are we rehashing this, haven't we covered this in the other thread and agreed to disagree?
:agree: :yawn:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
As far as the cupholder console, I have to agree with Sly Bob. I've been extremely happy with everything from DDM. Great people! Excellent customer service! I wouldn't hestitate.

I have the same console only without the cupholder's in them. (I have other secret plans for them....muahaha). They are extremely sturdy, especially when compared with the factory console which is a known weakness. That alone could make it worthwhile. I'd have to say go for it!

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
I have both. I like the cup holder feature of the DDM version. Because of packaging constraints the cupholders do lay where I put my arm when shifting. Not a huge deal but a consideration.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the dreaded Automatic (which I love by the way) so shifting is not a problem. . Now I just need to talk the hubby into it. LOL Thanks again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts