Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a coupe and my wife already prefers the ride of the coupe to that of our SKY Redline. I'm sure this has something to do with the venom brace, pro beam and backbone on the Redline. So the coupe will be our touring car while the SKY is my "drivers car".

The coupe came with winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzak) on it which I will likely sell since I won't drive either car in the snow.

So, here is my question: What would you recommend as the best touring tire for a Solstice?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Lots of posts on the forum about performance tires; not touring tires. I have a few friends who chose these tires for their cars (non-solstice) and they have been very happy with them over the last few years.

They review very well. These tires are the plus version, which I selected as they were cheaper than the other version. Take a look and read up.

Pirelli*Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
When I replaced the OEM tires, I chose Michelin MXV4. They're a touring tire, and I chose them mainly for ride comfort and low road noise. They're also rated for long mileage, so I'll probably wind up replacing them due to age. I haven't been disappointed with my purchase..

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
When I replaced the OEM tires, I chose Michelin MXV4. They're a touring tire, and I chose them mainly for ride comfort and low road noise. They're also rated for long mileage, so I'll probably wind up replacing them due to age. I haven't been disappointed with my purchase..
I agree. I have the same tires on my 2.4 and really like them. They have plenty of grip for that car, but I don't know how they would do with the turbo. I will be finding out sometime soon, though, when I swap tire between the cars just to see what is different. I have Pilot Sport AS3s on the RL.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have AS3s on my Redline. I have always liked Michelin tires. I will check out the MXV4s. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Given that most cars will see low mileages, and will thus probably never get run enough miles to wear out the tires before they need to be replaced anyway for old age, you should consider whether an extra few bucks a year might be worth it to get some really good tires as opposed to some just average tires.

Both Continental (Extreme contact DW) and Michelin (Pilot Super Sport) offer excellent high performance tires and we've started to hear good things about some of the new BFG tires.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not looking so much for high performance as a balance between performance and ride/noise quality. This car will be more for cruising than cornering.

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
I found the MXV4s to be very good at both cruising and cornering when fitted to the 2.4. I still haven't tried them on the RL.

They were new for the Asheville National and no one complained about me slowing them down on the runs that I led.
At no time have I felt that the tires were limiting the performance of the car. Of course, I don't drive like a maniac, either.
They were also very well behaved on the highway for part of the drives down and back.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I've had my MXV4s for a little over 3 years and 28k miles. I've been to 3 nationals and a few local cruises with no complaints about slowing things down.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:dthumbs:I decided to go with the Michelin Premier AS. Just put on today. So far, so good.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Given that most cars will see low mileages, and will thus probably never get run enough miles to wear out the tires before they need to be replaced anyway for old age..
What's the recommended max age for a low mileage tire? I've had mine since late 2007 and they're pushing 30K miles.

Reactions: sirwm

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I found my OEM tires getting harder at the 5-6 year point and replace then with something better.

I had some very expensive Z rated Pirellis on my Lamborghini, with maybe 2,000 miles on them and no detectable wear, but tossed them because the modern tires just aren't safe at higher speeds after a certain age.

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
The tire industry says that tires have a maximum safe life of 6 years, assuming mild conditions. Exposure to intense heat, sunlight, high speeds, bad roads, and ozone can reduce that life. And, as Bill observed, performance will start to degrade before that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks guys! Sounds like it's time to start shopping around. I've been running some sipped snow tires year round because it's just such a PITA to store 2 sets and change them here in NYC but planning to move somewhere warmer so will definitely look into something that provides a smoother/quieter ride while still giving me good traction in wet conditions.

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
Lots of good options out there,and lots of recommendations here. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Query for all, but mostly directed toward Bill - what criteria do you use for determining when the tire is too hard? I have no clue when the tires were installed on my Solstice, it was long before the dealer I snapped it up from acquired the car. The Sumitomo Tour Plus LSW tires currently fitted to the car have plenty of tread left, and they certainly seem to stand up well to my attempts to abuse them to death. Handling is fine in dry weather aside from being a bit tail happy, but the wet weather traction is absolutely horrid. A minor rain sprinkle feels like driving on ice.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Query for all, but mostly directed toward Bill - what criteria do you use for determining when the tire is too hard? I have no clue when the tires were installed on my Solstice, it was long before the dealer I snapped it up from acquired the car. The Sumitomo Tour Plus LSW tires currently fitted to the car have plenty of tread left, and they certainly seem to stand up well to my attempts to abuse them to death. Handling is fine in dry weather aside from being a bit tail happy, but the wet weather traction is absolutely horrid. A minor rain sprinkle feels like driving on ice.
I tend to push the car through the corners when there are no other cars around, just for my own amusement - nothing like I would on the track, but often resulting in a controlled slide/drift. If you do that every so often in familiar sections of road, and have a good memory for how a car feels in a specific corner (an essential skill for car handling on a track) you can tell when the tires start to change character and can't attain the same friction limits. That's when I changed my tires (and sold then to a happy BMW driver who was happy to get a set of tires with maybe 10,000 miles on them).

If you aren't the sort of driver that can assess things like that, you'll probably never notice any changes and should rely on the usual rules of thumb - assume that the tires are hitting the end of their best use at the 5-6 year mark, regardless of mileage.

The guys that do solo evens have a ready made opportunity for tire assessment, but their tires probably won't last long enough to get hard!

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
Possibly more critical than the loss of traction, radial tires are said to be significantly more likely to fail catastrophically after they get to be six years old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts