Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, while I think about what want to do with my polished aluminum rims (powder coat, paint, buff out, black chrome), I was curious as the best way to store them? I now have 2 sets of rims and tires for my car and want to make sure that they last as long as possible and are property stored.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I bag mine in 55 gal drum liners and stack 4 high in the corner of the workshop. Not sure it's the best, just what I do. YMMV :thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
I bag mine in 55 gal drum liners and stack 4 high in the corner of the workshop. Not sure it's the best, just what I do. YMMV :thumbs:
I do a similar stack in the corner of the garage, but I built a skid to go between the bottom wheel/tire and the concrete.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I concur with tire racks. The Sol only has 1 set (plus a full size spare), but I swap out winters for all-seasons on my 2 daily drivers. The racks keep the tires off the floor and I've added a shelf between them to store all my 'tire stuff'. I do let out about 2/3 of the air when I store them - it reduced the weight by almost half. I have my own air compressor, so no big deal to reinflate next season. Got them online at Homedepot for around $50 @ last year.

Maybe I'm way off, but I figure the tires/rims are made to take high heat from driving, and all sorts of weather conditions, including actually being outside in the sun a lot. So keeping them hermetically sealed in baggies and stored in a giant wine-cooler seems like overkill to me. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Heavy air in NY. All that pollution.....

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Covered and stored in a heated environment to protect against the constant changes of humidity.

If wife complains install glass top and cover with appropriate vases & magazines. :leaving:

·
Registered
129 Posts
---------------------------------------------------------------------->:eek: You are joking . . . right? :dunno:
Maybe 1/2 is exaggerating, but it is a huge a noticeable difference. Didn't you ever throw around an uninflated tire, then fill it up with air and notice the big change in weight? It's not just air inside there - it's compressed air. Check out the difference between a flat tire and a fully inflated tire which is lifting 1000lbs (on a full size car) a few inches in the air. It takes considerable mass to do that! Also, it probably makes a bigger difference with SUV tires than it does for our low profile tires on the Sol.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Maybe 1/2 is exaggerating, but it is a huge a noticeable difference. Didn't you ever throw around an uninflated tire, then fill it up with air and notice the big change in weight? It's not just air inside there - it's compressed air. Check out the difference between a flat tire and a fully inflated tire which is lifting 1000lbs (on a full size car) a few inches in the air. It takes considerable mass to do that! Also, it probably makes a bigger difference with SUV tires than it does for our low profile tires on the Sol.
Does a car tire weigh more when it is inflated? - Yahoo! Answers

According to this math, it weighs almost zero. Probably not even adding up to 1lb for all four tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts