Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im wondering who is thinking of going through a smaller dealership versus a larger one in a bigger city. The ony pontiac dealership near me is a fairly small operation, but it has been there for many years, they said for a car like the solstice a dealership has to sell so many units to qualify to carry it, does that ring a bell with anyone? But anyways, they didnt think it would be a problem for them. My other option is to drive up to orlando where the bigger dogs would be. So who is everyone thinking of going through? Mostly Im wondering if gouging is more likely in a bigger or smaller dealership, Im thinking the one near me is more likely to be on the level with me, but at the same time, when Im finally ready to order, it might take them forever to get a hold of one for me.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Gouging can happen anywhere. there are all sizes of dealers doing and not doing. My smalll dealer doesn't. (yeah) He also stocks very few 'vettes, rarely one at a time, BUT he is the home of the county 'vette club so he must be doing something right. If you wait until after full production starts or even next year you shouldn't have a problem. I'm sure the dealers will comment on this, but if you place retail build order it bumps a lot of other scheduled allocations. I have spec ordered 3 cars and longest wait when model was already in production was about 6 weeks. Ordered '97 GTP first week any could be ordered (April or May) and car arrived in Sep or Oct but was like the second one to arrive within 3 counties.

·
Registered
338 Posts
DLD84 said:
Im wondering who is thinking of going through a smaller dealership versus a larger one in a bigger city. The ony pontiac dealership near me is a fairly small operation, but it has been there for many years, they said for a car like the solstice a dealership has to sell so many units to qualify to carry it, does that ring a bell with anyone? But anyways, they didnt think it would be a problem for them. My other option is to drive up to orlando where the bigger dogs would be. So who is everyone thinking of going through? Mostly Im wondering if gouging is more likely in a bigger or smaller dealership, Im thinking the one near me is more likely to be on the level with me, but at the same time, when Im finally ready to order, it might take them forever to get a hold of one for me.
First off, in the program today, it was said that nearly every dealer will get one. They will have allocation info 7 APR.

Or, here's an idea for you Southeners who like to travel. Go to GmBuyPower, find your car in a northern state around early November, fly/drive (if trading,)there, and drive it home. I can help locate if needed, I'm sure the Judge or Sm. Dealer will help too, we have a nationwide search program that is quicker than BuyPower. Of course, you need to make sure and call the dealer first. Prolly want a small deposit, and may do a credit check over the phone and ballpark a pament, but you might find a deal. By that time, if there is a unit left, it will be getting close to 90 days old, and who's going to buy a summer car in the rust belt 8 weeks from X-mas. The Gen. Mgr. will be looking to unload it, if nothing else to help gain allocation for spring, and to free up $$$ for truck season. Or, find a dealer w/ allocation left, and have it built and courtesy delivered.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Didja ever notice how many BIG dealers there are near vacation spots like Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Las Vegas, etc. They aren't selling all those cars to the locals.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you decide to go after an EOP car it is best to find a dealer whos is familiar with the program, big or small. For me, I have dealt with a local small dealer for years, get great service and deals because they know I am a return customer. But, the big dealer has the advantage in allotment.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A small dealer could be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on the dealer.

At a small dealer, you may find betetr service since they want to be more personal. However, I bought my Jeep from a small dealer and got just the opposite! The sale was great, but they didn't want to know me after.

Also at a small dealer, you will certainly have a much smaller allocation. If a lot of people try the small dealer route, they may sell out their allocation quickly. On the other hand, if nobody comes in looking for the car, they may have plenty even with a small allocation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fformula88 said:
A small dealer could be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on the dealer.

At a small dealer, you may find betetr service since they want to be more personal. However, I bought my Jeep from a small dealer and got just the opposite! The sale was great, but they didn't want to know me after.

Also at a small dealer, you will certainly have a much smaller allocation. If a lot of people try the small dealer route, they may sell out their allocation quickly. On the other hand, if nobody comes in looking for the car, they may have plenty even with a small allocation.
+1

It's hard to say which "size" dealership has the advantage. There are too many variables.

I got my last car, a 350Z, from a "small" dealership in a large metro area. There are 6 other Nissian dealerships within 25 miles of me. The dealer I bought from was the smallest, but treated me the best and gave the best deal.

It always pays to shop around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts