Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
301 - 315 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It was

was $600 which i thought was fair being they only had a PDF of the cad to work with.
Considering that i am not even sure what cad looked like back in 2007, i got lucky even getting the pdf.
He told me upfront all the money was really in the setup. Obviously economy of scale here.
If i had been able to order 10 of them the “per” price would have been significantly less
considering it appears to be something made from unobtanium, i would guess there will be some market..

Bill

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
considering it appears to be something made from unobtanium, i would guess there will be some market..

Bill
No it only fits on the front of a fluidampr for a cobalt motor, thus making it compatible with the Sol.
Both components involved are discontinued.
I lucked out on the used fluidampr component and had to have the power steering pulley custom made to make it work with my car.
I dont think anyone else would be even be a little interested in it…
The seperate Fluidampr thread KG started had very low interest…

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 · (Edited)
Probably none of that went to CAD. He would not have spent the time on a one-off part.
Greg told me the cost really was in the setup.
Its been quite some time since when i first spoke to him about this but i remember him mentioning CAD setup. Again dont quote me, working from a memory.
Regardless he got it done and at the price he quoted. He said it was a little tougher than he first thought but stuck to his original quote.
Once its in my hands i will post a final opinion and better pictures. Other than bring patient and waiting for a spot in his busy schedule, everything was seamless in doing business.
Solid recommendation John.
much obliged!

·
Administrator
11,621 Posts
Greg told me the cost really was in the setup.
Its been quite some time since when i first spoke to him about this but i remember him mentioning CAD setup. Again dont quote me, working from a memory.
Regardless he got it done and at the price he quoted. He said it was a little tougher than he first thought but stuck to his original quote.
Once its in my hands i will post a final opinion and better pictures. Other than bring patient and waiting for a spot in his busy schedule, everything was seamless in doing business.
Solid recommendation John.
much obliged!
Setup can be CAD programming or physical tooling setup, or both. The pulley is a combination of lathe and mill work, so probably both.

In any case, I am happy if you are happy. Greg is a good guy and I have done hundreds of thousands of dollars of work with his shop, dating from when his father ran it.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Ill take an honest stand up business person over a deal any day.
That being said i think his price was fair and i was happy he was able to fit in my tiny project in his busy schedule.
In the old days one would send a nice bottle of something to someone as a thank you.
Last time i did that it backfired big time and i lost a big account (no good deed goes unpunished) so now i have just learned to say thank you and be gracious to those that deserve it.
Again thanks for the solid referral John.
Noe i just need to find an anodizer.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
Ok part came in and i am happy to report it is a perfect fit!
Now off to find an Anodizer :)
Nickel Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Rim
Automotive tire Wheel Electronic instrument Font Audio equipment
Wheel Automotive tire Rim Tire Gas

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,118 Posts
I am still baffled as to why you have not just put the damper on and see if it would solve the issue before laying out this large amount of money to have the second pulley made.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
I am still baffled as to why you have not just put the damper on and see if it would solve the issue before laying out this large amount of money to have the second pulley made.
Gadget is a man of mystery?
:)

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Just kidding. I want apples to apples and connecting the Fluidampr without the pulley is not the same as i am removing the PS pump from the harmonic equation without the pulley on it.
Also i only ordered one crank pulley bolt which are “one time use only”.
Also (and most relevant) i have very limited free time so multiple up and down on the jack stands is time prohibitive. If i dont finish a project like this on my only free half day (Saturday) it is likely i will end up unable to drive the car for the whole week.
Did i mention how much i enjoy driving this car?

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
Oh and i should mention it has been almost a month of lost wrenching weekends because of triple digit heat :(
We finally got a break last weekend and i had other outside house chores that had to be done.
Either way i am hopeful this makes the difference

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I think it is going to make a difference. It may not get rid of it 100% but it will quiet down the gear lash.

The gear noise when decelerating on the other hand, it's probably not going to do anything for that. That noise is typical when a vehicle that has a light weight flywheel.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
I think it is going to make a difference. It may not get rid of it 100% but it will quiet down the gear lash.

The gear noise when decelerating on the other hand, it's probably not going to do anything for that. That noise is typical when a vehicle that has a light weight flywheel.
I am with you 100% KG.
I have zero expectations on the buzz saw clutch.
There are “supposed” to be other benefits to a fluidampr and my hopes for what adding it will do have nothing to do with the manufacture’s original intentions ironically. So hopefully it will br a general smoothing of the engine on top of the gearbox rattle. I certainly am going the long road in finding out i will be the first to admit :)

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
The "Other" benefits is it is going to dampen the recoil of the crank better then the stock one. Especially considering you have a higher power output there is going to be more twist of the crank when each cylinder fires. The ATI damper is an up and coming upgrade for me. I deleted my power steering so I don't need the accessory pulley for the power steering pump.

301 - 315 of 315 Posts