Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a bike rack, I'm tired of not having my Solstice around when I also want to go biking.

I searched the archives and have decided on the curt hitch + sportrack 2ez bike rack... that is, unless someone has some newer or updated advice.

Cheers,

Backstage
Navigator - The Lost Sol Squadron

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have thought about that too. Will the hitch support the downward force applied by the rack? Not so much the hitch but the car where the hitch attaches. I had a problem with that on a car I had that also was not designed for a hitch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I had to replace my curt hitch with one made by draw-tight, because of clearance problems with the Solo exhaust system. The draw-tight mounts with the brackets coming in from the outside, instead of from the inside, giving several more inches between the vertical parts of the hitch.

I have used a 'Texas fly-swatter' cargo carrier with my curt hitch, loaded with nearly 100 pounds, and mounted to the receiver with a hitch extender, to move the carrier back and up for clearance. No issues with the weight. They recommend straps to keep the hitch from bouncing up and down when used that way, but I saw no issues after a road trip to the Dragon and back from St. Louis, MO. In any case, I think that was lots heavier than your bike rack and bike(s).

BTW, if you're anywhere near me, I still have the curt hitch, and mounting hardware. It bolts directly to the frame, so really is quite strong.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is the draw tight one listed for a Solstice? Or did you just find one that fit?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the draw tight one listed for a Solstice? Or did you just find one that fit?
Well, the guy said the draw tite needed drilling and trimming the back end plastic. so I bought the Curt 11119 for a buck and a half delivered.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I didn't have to trim, but it does fit tight against the plastic near the exhaust outlet.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I had the curt for the sky (11119?) on my sol with a bike rack on the back.

Worked fine. The exhaust could sway enough and hit it and make a knocking sound during a sharp turn.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the curt hitch but the clearance is tricky with the GM performance exhaust. It knocks every now and then, but otherwise it is fine. I wouldn't worry about the load. The Curt is rated to hold 600 pounds on the hitch and the weight of the rack and bike is no where near this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts