Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the Center Caps I had made by Rich at Santana Interiors . These are the Ones for Custom Wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was going to start a new thread and just saw this one about center caps... hope you don't mind if I high jack it just a little...

How hard is it to get the center caps off? I have one cap that has been messed up somehow and I need to replace it. I really don't have the means to take off the wheels right now. Is there a way to get these center caps off the car without taking the wheels off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
How hard is it to get the center caps off? I have one cap that has been messed up somehow and I need to replace it. I really don't have the means to take off the wheels right now. Is there a way to get these center caps off the car without taking the wheels off?
Very risky without taking the wheels off. You'd have to pry them out and it's pretty easy to mar the wheels or the caps or both. Perhaps with a good suction cup of the right size, you could sucker them out?

With the wheels off, it's easy - just punch them out from the inside with the end of a rubber or wooden hammer handle.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Here are the Center Caps I had made by Rich at Santana Interiors . These are the Ones for Custom Wheels.
They look very, very nice!!!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very risky without taking the wheels off. You'd have to pry them out and it's pretty easy to mar the wheels or the caps or both. Perhaps with a good suction cup of the right size, you could sucker them out?

With the wheels off, it's easy - just punch them out from the inside with the end of a rubber or wooden hammer handle.
Thanks TS for the info. Your suggestion of trying a suction cup is a good one. I might try that :)

I'm not really concerned about maring the cap since it's already messed up, but I can see how it could also mar the rim. I might try prying, but with caution not to hurt the rim (as a last option).

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
They are held on by a series of fingers around the outside of the caps. If you pull the wheels you can pop them right out by pushing on the center of them from the inside. It might be possible to pry them out from the outside but you risk damaging them and the wheel.

Some wheel centers actually have an internal spring that provides pressure against the back side of the fingers to keep them tight against the wheel - like my Motege wheel centers. But my recollection is that the stock wheels do not have any other retention devices. Just the fingers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are held on by a series of fingers around the outside of the caps. If you pull the wheels you can pop them right out by pushing on the center of them from the inside. It might be possible to pry them out from the outside but you risk damaging them and the wheel.

Some wheel centers actually have an internal spring that provides pressure against the back side of the fingers to keep them tight against the wheel - like my Motege wheel centers. But my recollection is that the stock wheels do not have any other retention devices. Just the fingers.
These were machined and drilled N tapped with Washer stays that hold them on and in

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I have a Trim ring that these fit inand the Ring is held on with an allen Set screw . When I get them and put um together I'll post pics of complete unit.

TS ; I didn't see the post before yours and Did not read the Quote afore hand & thought you were talking about mine Sorry :yawn: sleeping at the puter :yawn:

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TS for the info. Your suggestion of trying a suction cup is a good one. I might try that :)

I'm not really concerned about maring the cap since it's already messed up, but I can see how it could also mar the rim. I might try prying, but with caution not to hurt the rim (as a last option).
If damage to the Cap is no problem Just Use a Scerw Driver & hammer Punch out the Center of the Cap I think it is only Plastic it will fall out the back of the Wheel.

Now back to the Post at Hand

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
If damage to the Cap is no problem Just Use a Scerw Driver & hammer Punch out the Center of the Cap I think it is only Plastic it will fall out the back of the Wheel.
Well it won't if the wheel's still on the car! :)

But this is a very good point, if you are just replacing the caps, then you can drill a hole in the center and hook each one out.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Drill a small hole in the center area of the cap to be replaced. Insert a 2 inch screw and screw it into the cap enough so you can get a good purchase on the cap. Pull outward with a pair of pliars and the damaged cap will come right out. You can then easily insert a new cap.

The caps that I have seen are NOT going to push through the hole.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Or use a slide hammer like the old school dent pullers.

We use a home made version at the plant for pulling stuck parts out of molds. Take a pair of vise-grips and remove the bolt that adjusts for size. Get a 3-4 inch version of that bolt but before you replace it, you put a hole in a (preferrably) round metal cylinder for a sliding weight. You adjust the bolt so the vise grip bites on the screw, then "tunk" the weight back against the bolt head and it gradually pulls the desired part out.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do you keep the Indian head upright all the time?

JK

Looks good!
By not spinning the Rear wheels ., thats the easy fix , Who knows I might weight the bottom of the peice down so they rotate up right when you stop :lol:

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oops

I think it sets the wheels off I love the look. Also I F^$^ up , By using an image they become directional and Didn't think about it until I had them on . I e-mailed Rich Santana & he told me to send the 2 that are going the wrong way back .He said he had 2 extra and going to redo them and not Charging me ( thats quite a vendor )

You couldn't ask anything better form a Vendor

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Now think hard about his. You could have two looking forward on the front wheels and two looking backward from the rear - covering your "six" for ya.

I could never do this as I'd have a beotch of a time back the car, inching forward, turning the front wheels, etc. until the logos were upright when I park. Not that I'm OCD or anything.

Wait. I have the factory wheels. They have the Pontiac logo on them, don't they?

Crap. I have to go home now and get my wheels turned so the logos are upright.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts