Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this in my introduction thread, but thought I would ask here as well. Do all the Solstice cars come with Bilstein dampers? I looked at a few others while I was out driving the car I will be picking up and they had the same. I was wondering if they are adjustable?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I figured so after seeing the other two had them, but just wanted to be sure. I was surprised to see bilsteins, but have no complaints as I had them on my Merc and was happy. I do plan to run lowering springs so at least I know the shocks will handle the drop.

·
Registered
432 Posts
don't be so sure they fail easily, do a search on this. that's why I kicked down for the adjustable coilovers.

Thank you for the reply. I figured so after seeing the other two had them, but just wanted to be sure. I was surprised to see bilsteins, but have no complaints as I had them on my Merc and was happy. I do plan to run lowering springs so at least I know the shocks will handle the drop.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
There may be a few reports of leaking shocks but I'm sure there are many who haven't had any issues. I'm over 60k on the 2" shorter Eibach springs and I beat the hell out of the suspension (autox and dd).

Eventually I'll do the snapon-bob diy adjustable coil-over but I'm hoping these kick it for some time.

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
They do not fail easily. There is less than 1% reports here on the forums about the oem shocks failing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In getting new tires yesterday, OEM RS-A's went 95,200 miles, I noticed both rear shocks covered with oily dirt on the lower half. The shocks may not be shot, but it appears they do no contain the original amount of oil in them. I'm interested in freeway-flyer comfort so will likely go with stock shocks. Any suggestions to the contrary?

BTW, I replaced the RS-A with Goodyear Assurance Comfortrend and the ride is softer but to the detriment of quick, precise steering. I can feel the softer sidewalls in quick lane changes.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I posted about this in my introduction thread, but thought I would ask here as well. Do all the Solstice cars come with Bilstein dampers? I looked at a few others while I was out driving the car I will be picking up and they had the same. I was wondering if they are adjustable?
They might all come with Bilstein, but they are not the same. There is a thread here describing the part numbers and differences between N/A, GXP, and some of the touring or whatever they are called, as well as the GMPP option. Swaybar, spring and shock numbers.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,501 Posts
They might all come with Bilstein, but they are not the same. There is a thread here describing the part numbers and differences between N/A, GXP, and some of the touring or whatever they are called, as well as the GMPP option. Swaybar, spring and shock numbers.
Here is the information to which you refer.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the useful input everyone! I would like to eventually go with the BC coilovers, at least that's what I'm thinking now. On my Merc the only option was to have custom lowering springs made, now Eibach produces some, but on the Solstice I am leaning towards spending the money since it is a more performance oriented car. Both springs Eibach offer for the Solstice aren't right for me, I want to be somewhere in between when it comes to the drop. My first mod will be the trifecta tune, then I will tackle the suspension.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
don't be so sure they fail easily, do a search on this. that's why I kicked down for the adjustable coilovers.
I love it when people talk out of their ...,
Can you show US where all these "fail easily" Bilstein threads are or any data that says the Blistein are no good?
You kicked in on a set of adjustable coilovers because you want to be :cool: nothing to do with faulty Bilstein shocks.... :willy:
One guy had a problem with his SKY steering wheel, does that mean that all the Sky steering wheels are no good?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I love it when people talk out of their ...,
Can you show US where all these "fail easily" Bilstein threads are or any data that says the Blistein are no good?
You kicked in on a set of adjustable coilovers because you want to be :cool: nothing to do with faulty Bilstein shocks.... :willy:
One guy had a problem with his SKY steering wheel, does that mean that all the Sky steering wheels are no good?
I agree that I have not see this trend of failed Bilstein shocks. But there is some credence to his warning. Whenever you use a spring with a higher spring rate, and at a different ride height in the car or travel in the shock absorber, you typically wear it out faster. It's not much unlike when people put the wrong offset wheel on their car, and then wear out their wheel bearings faster.

If you start using springs that yield a lower ride height, and have a higher rate, you will wear the shock out faster. Go ask your trusted suspension guy if you don't believe me.

Oh I just so happen to be a mechanical engineer, that is recently back in school, to specialize in automotive engineering, and I'm part of the Formula SAE team.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Thank you for the useful input everyone! I would like to eventually go with the BC coilovers, at least that's what I'm thinking now. On my Merc the only option was to have custom lowering springs made, now Eibach produces some, but on the Solstice I am leaning towards spending the money since it is a more performance oriented car. Both springs Eibach offer for the Solstice aren't right for me, I want to be somewhere in between when it comes to the drop. My first mod will be the trifecta tune, then I will tackle the suspension.
You might want to take a look at the KW V3. That is top of the line product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts