Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was parked at school for a couple days and didn't see that a pterodactyl had taken a dump on my hood.

Now I have a big stain of some sorts that you can see when you look at the car at a certain angle. I've tried waxing it a couple times and clay bar a few times. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Bird crap is acidic and will stain the clear coat. So, to prevent it you need to get it off as quickly as possible. Once it's stained you need a good paint cleaner (i.e. compound) since it's etched into the clear.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
You'll have to "wheel out" that spot to get the clear coat even again. You MUST always remove bird poop within 24 hours, especially if its really hot outside!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Meguire's Ultimate Compound with an orbital buffer has worked well for me. The wife used to have to park under trees at work all the time.:brentil:

·
Registered
728 Posts
At least you didn't get this..:D

:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,931 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Meguiars #83 has always worked good for me for scratch/swirl/surface imperfections. It's described as a cleaner/polish. In fact I just ordered another bottle of it!

As others have explained, poo is bad news. In fact, any organic compound, crap, sap, etc is bad for your clear coat finish.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Meguiars #83 has always worked good for me for scratch/swirl/surface imperfections. It's described as a cleaner/polish. In fact I just ordered another bottle of it!

As others have explained, poo is bad news. In fact, any organic compound, crap, sap, etc is bad for your clear coat finish.
#83 is a little on the aggressive side and MAY actually leave hazing to clean up. #80 or Ultimate compound (both Meguiar's but from separate lines) are good choices for general purpose work.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Point taken, LPT. As stated, I've typically used it for swirl and imperfection removal. You're right, the 80 or ultimate would probably be better for this issue. The adage is true, use the least aggressive that works and move up only if you have to.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Point taken, LPT. As stated, I've typically used it for swirl and imperfection removal. You're right, the 80 or ultimate would probably be better for this issue. The adage is true, use the least aggressive that works and move up only if you have to.
Exactly I usually start with 80, move to 83 if needed, and back down to 80 again. I have Ultimate as well, but the 80 works so nicely on my black (since it has a fair amount of the added polish in it) that I keep falling back to it until I run out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

At least it was the paint and not the driver's side seat cushion...

Fear of bird crap is one reason I always put the top up when I'm out and park the car. I also don't want the interior to fade any faster than it otherwise would.

Oh, and I don't want people using it as a trash can. I have an S-10 truck, and before I had a bed cover on it, it wasn't uncommon to find where someone threw an empty drink bottle or something like it in the bed.:cuss::brentil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts