Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM appears to be going from 0-60 with blown V6's.
GM Inside News Forum
February 24, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

Nearly two years ago GMI broke news that General Motors is working on a 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 to get GM on part with the industry trend of utilizing blown V-6's. Until recently it has been assumed that GM has only one twin-turbo V-6 in the works, which makes a lot of sense considering the company is about to launch the fifth generation of its coveted Small Block V-8 lineup. Instead, GMI has learned that GM currently has two twin-turbo V-6's in development.

The saying goes, "there's no replacement for displacement" and apparently GM feels the same with regards to their V-6 engines. Sources have confirmed to GMI that GM is also working on a twin-turbo version of its 3.6-liter V-6. This engine will supplement the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 that GMI previously confirmed.

Back in 2009 GM and Jay Leno showcased a Chevrolet Camaro concept at the SEMA show that housed a twin-turbo 3.6-liter V-6. In that application GM claimed the engine generated 425 horsepower. GMI has not been able to confirm power figures for the production version of the twin-turbo 3.6-liter, but in excess of 400 seems like a plausible estimate considering the company is still developing a 3.0-liter variant of the blown engine as well.

As previously reported, expect the 3.0-liter twin-turbo to show up first in Cadillac models, including the XTS and CTS. Both sedans will eventually have the engine as an option, with it being mated to an eight-speed automatic. The engine is expected to trickle down through the GM lineup over time, similar to GM's typical new engine roll-out.

The 3.6-liter twin-turbo is expected to first show up at Cadillac as well. Earlier this week reports surfaced that Cadillac has decided to go with a twin-turbo V-6 for the upcoming ATS-V performance car. According to sources, that twin-turbo V-6 will not be the 3.0-liter, but rather the first application of the twin-turbo 3.6-liter, suggesting that the larger displacement could be reserved for performance applications. Perhaps the 3.6-liter could even end up being a Cadillac exclusive engine? At this time no other applications of the twin-turbo 3.6-liter are known.

Stay tuned right here for the latest on GM's upcoming twin-turbo engines!

·
Registered
350 Posts
sounds good to me as long as it is still tunable as the 2.0T is now, not like the TT ford motor.

If we can easily get 300 out of our 2.0, 450-500 would be easy in the 3.0 if we can apply math the same and it is DI like the 3.6.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Getting blown has such a nice ring to it...

·
Registered
853 Posts
sounds good to me as long as it is still tunable as the 2.0T is now, not like the TT ford motor.

If we can easily get 300 out of our 2.0, 450-500 would be easy in the 3.0 if we can apply math the same and it is DI like the 3.6.
Well, if it's like Ford you will also be shelling out $50k+ for whatever it ends up in. I think the MSRP on the taurus with tt 3.6ecoboost is something like $47k.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, if it's like Ford you will also be shelling out $50k+ for whatever it ends up in. I think the MSRP on the taurus with tt 3.6ecoboost is something like $47k.
MSRP is a fictitious number for domestic vehicles after first year production but OK...MSRP on a Taurus SHO AWD is 40K (selling for 35k) and loaded SHO AWD is almost 47K selling at 40-41K.

gotta pay to play. An 07 GXP was about 25-30K and 6 years later with more refinement, power and seats puts it at 40K...sure...ok..sounds right to me.

Even Kia can get $30K for a 2.0T Optima.

·
Registered
853 Posts
MSRP is a fictitious number for domestic vehicles after first year production but OK...MSRP on a Taurus SHO AWD is 40K (selling for 35k) and loaded SHO AWD is almost 47K selling at 40-41K.

gotta pay to play. An 07 GXP was about 25-30K and 6 years later with more refinement, power and seats puts it at 40K...sure...ok..sounds right to me.

Even Kia can get $30K for a 2.0T Optima.
no, you can pay to play. I'll reevaluate my transportation when my bronco reaches 20 yrs in my possession (17yrs now, have had no car payment since 2000). I'll probably keep it. There are no heated seats, bluetooth, GPS, blah blah to break down. It just works.

MSRP isn't a fake number, it's a suggested starting point. Most of the time you get the vehicle for some amount less, which is fine. but if it's still $40k+ that you shake on, I hope you have long term employment that pays well into 6 figures annually because that is still a chunk of change in something that eats money.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Autoblog
General Motors told us so back in March, but it is now official: The twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6 announced for the 2014 Cadillac CTS will also join the options list for the 2014 Cadillac XTS. The LF3 engine puts out 410 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque in the XTS, however, which is 10 hp and 61 lb-ft down from its application in the CTS. It will be identifiable from the outside by a specific grille treatment and a badge on the decklid. The 3.6-liter V6 with 304 hp and 264 lb-ft holds steady as the standard engine, and both will be yoked to a six-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters.

Also new for the front-wheel drive model for 2014 are updates that include electric power steering and optional Automatic Parking Assist that can maneuver the sedan into parallel parking spots. The three trims above standard – Luxury, Premium and Platinum – get Intellibeam headlights that automatically switch between high- and low-beam,

The four current trim levels remain but the list of optional extras for the higher specs grows with a rear-seat entertainment system equipped with DVD screens in the front seatbacks, memory settings for the front passenger seat and an armrest in the back seat fitted with radio and sunshade controls. The press release below has more info on all of the changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts