Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pontiac Solstice Windscreen Wind Deflector

It is my highest hope that I can in some little way contribute back to the forum for some of the outstanding help I have been given.

I wanted to give some feedback on a product that I bought, of which I hope it helps.

I love convertibles. I do not love the wind whipping my long hair, (yes longhair, especially for a guy). And my girlfriend doesn't like it either. Having convertibles in the past I learned that wind deflectors are great things to add to cut down on the wind hitting one from the rear.

The URL above is the wind deflector I purchased. I got it primarily because it works by suction cups. One does not have to alter the body. Cut into the body. Drill. All that. And if you want to take it off you simply left it off, and put it back down. and for somebody like me, I am sure I'm not the only one, though in my estimation if one is motivated enough to join a forum, it seems that one would be handy to some degree, so I'm probably the least handy guy on this forum, nevertheless, for somebody like me who is not handy at all, things like this that need no maintenance or whatever really help.

If you sell the car, you can keep it for your next car if you get the same type of car. And maybe the new owner would not like that the body was altered. Etc.

I find the wind deflection of this particular when deflector to be very good. Perfect? No. It simply does in my opinion a very good job of cutting down on the wind.

The suction cups work flawlessly. I've had no issues whatsoever. So far it is held up perfectly. It looks good too. I also feel it is reasonably priced.

I also feel these wonderful wind deflectors can extend the season for the convertible use of the car for those of us who live in seasonal climates. I am in New York and with these wind deflectors I found that I can comfortably drive in the spring and fall with appropriate clothing, also w/ the trick of turning the heat on blowing down and up causing a sort of circular heat bubble in the cockpit which is kind of an amazing phenomenon.

So there it is. This wind deflector gets my thumbs up. I recommend it highly.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Position: Against the deck, directly behind the rear seats.
Pontiac Wind Deflector
Problem: Effective, but inelegant. There is no native attachment mechanism for the windscreen to hang onto, so the windscreen is typically cobbled into place with either tacky tape, or drilling holes and holding down with screws.
Position: Mount directly onto the body of the car between the camel humps.
Pontiac Wind Deflector
Solution: Use a non-obtrusive way to mount the windblocker onto the Solstice without any permanent modifications, and without compromising any other section of the car.
Ya I can see how the very visible suction cups are way more elegant than the WindRestrictor® method of installing. And the Back blade looks way more secure!

:huh:

Bert

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Not a big fan of the suction cups. Is there a guaranteed speed that they'll hold on to? Honestly, the only way to go is Windrestrictor. Everyone here will tell you that. Their customer service is unbeatable. You could have had a custom design etched in your Windrestrictor as well. Not too mention they are a major forum sponsor. And for close to the same price you paid.... The nice thing about Windrestrictor is that there is no need to ever remove it. Top up or top down...it doesn't matter. And there is no permanent modification with the Windrestrictor v2. There is no need to drill holes (unless you chose the illuminated version, then you would have to drill a hole for wiring) for v2. You simply apply their Dual Lock Velcro behind the seats on the waterfall panel. So it doesn't mount between the humps and rear decklid, it mounts just behind the seats and leaves no gaps below for airflow to come through.

Quoted from Windrestrictor website: "This deflector mounts with a special material called Dual Lock no drilling or permanent modification required,. Once the product is mounted, the mounting system is hidden. It's 1/4" thick and very strong. The product is engineered to remain in place once installed. A lifetime warranty is included with your purchase which guarantees that the product will never fade, yellow, peel, or crack like others on the market."

Basically you put industrial Velcro (and it's good to over 100mph IMSMC) just behind the seats and it attaches to it. I've had my car to 95mph and never had an issue with my Windrestrictor.

Next time, ask the forum here about their opinions on a product. Many have "been there, done that". Most of us are HUGE Windrestrictor supporters. I have had many dealings with them (for items and installation, not problems) and their customer service has been top notch, including phone calls back on Sunday evening at 8pm as I was trying to install a product. I would guess that about 98% of the people here that have some sort of wind device have a Windrestrictor. Windrestrictor is a top notch company with a top notch product that is incredibly easy to install. Next time, just ask, we can give you our honest experiences with companies. Heck, we can even tell you if you need any mechanical skills to do something!!! ;) I've been where you are skill wise, now there isn't too much I can't do, it's just a matter of "if" I want to do it!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a big fan of the suction cups. Is there a guaranteed speed that they'll hold on to? Honestly, the only way to go is Windrestrictor. Everyone here will tell you that. Their customer service is unbeatable. You could have had a custom design etched in your Windrestrictor as well. Not too mention they are a major forum sponsor. And for close to the same price you paid.... The nice thing about Windrestrictor is that there is no need to ever remove it. Top up or top down...it doesn't matter. And there is no permanent modification with the Windrestrictor v2. There is no need to drill holes (unless you chose the illuminated version, then you would have to drill a hole for wiring) for v2. You simply apply their Dual Lock Velcro behind the seats on the waterfall panel. So it doesn't mount between the humps and rear decklid, it mounts just behind the seats and leaves no gaps below for airflow to come through.

Quoted from Windrestrictor website: "This deflector mounts with a special material called Dual Lock no drilling or permanent modification required,. Once the product is mounted, the mounting system is hidden. It's 1/4" thick and very strong. The product is engineered to remain in place once installed. A lifetime warranty is included with your purchase which guarantees that the product will never fade, yellow, peel, or crack like others on the market."

Basically you put industrial Velcro (and it's good to over 100mph IMSMC) just behind the seats and it attaches to it. I've had my car to 95mph and never had an issue with my Windrestrictor.

Next time, ask the forum here about their opinions on a product. Many have "been there, done that". Most of us are HUGE Windrestrictor supporters. I have had many dealings with them (for items and installation, not problems) and their customer service has been top notch, including phone calls back on Sunday evening at 8pm as I was trying to install a product. I would guess that about 98% of the people here that have some sort of wind device have a Windrestrictor. Windrestrictor is a top notch company with a top notch product that is incredibly easy to install. Next time, just ask, we can give you our honest experiences with companies. Heck, we can even tell you if you need any mechanical skills to do something!!! ;) I've been where you are skill wise, now there isn't too much I can't do, it's just a matter of "if" I want to do it!

you are correct, I should have asked here first, I believe it's too late now since his been some time, and though I agree with what you are saying, and only if I knew that it would have been so easy to just put Velcro strips on, and probably stronger than the suction cups, and that they are a sponsor here, but, on the positive side, actually had taken his car over 100 miles an hour many times, and there's been absolutely no movement or problem with the suction cup wind deflector whatsoever. So while what you say about ASCII versus true, and the wind deflector you mention is probably much better, I still say that it is nice to be able to just pick it up very quickly and not even have Velcro glued to the car, and don't think I can go any faster or ride any harder and so far nothing has happened. Worse case scenario I lost $150, though I think the guy guarantees it, and I would just get the other one, but I don't think anything is going to happen.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I'm sure the product you purchased functions fine, the issue I would have is with the reliability of the suction cups. (I've been in the plastics business for 35 years now.) Most are made out of PVC which is by nature a brittle plastic. Additives are put into it to make it flexible and that's why you can get a flexible PVC "beach ball" that works fine but eventually fails.

The suction cups will eventually get brittle and will fail. Ultraviolet light (sun) will accelerate this process. The seller will gladly send you new suction cups as they are a minor cost to them and there is nothing wrong with that.

The velcro from Windrestrictor is not "glued" to the car but is held there with a pressure sensitive adhesive that won't harm the surface any more than the suction cup. It would require a little more care to remove it if you should desire to do so, but didn't you buy a wind restrictor with the intention of using it?

I'm sure your purchase works fine and hope it continues to do so for many years. Your feedback here is important to us and we all appreciate your feedback! It's the feedback of all of use members than continues to make this forum so valuable!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure the product you purchased functions fine, the issue I would have is with the reliability of the suction cups. (I've been in the plastics business for 35 years now.) Most are made out of PVC which is by nature a brittle plastic. Additives are put into it to make it flexible and that's why you can get a flexible PVC "beach ball" that works fine but eventually fails.

The suction cups will eventually get brittle and will fail. Ultraviolet light (sun) will accelerate this process. The seller will gladly send you new suction cups as they are a minor cost to them and there is nothing wrong with that.

The velcro from Windrestrictor is not "glued" to the car but is held there with a pressure sensitive adhesive that won't harm the surface any more than the suction cup. It would require a little more care to remove it if you should desire to do so, but didn't you buy a wind restrictor with the intention of using it?

I'm sure your purchase works fine and hope it continues to do so for many years. Your feedback here is important to us and we all appreciate your feedback! It's the feedback of all of use members than continues to make this forum so valuable!
Very well put, and very wise words. But of course none of this is meant as any offense to our friendly forum wind deflector supporter; we are just openly discussing various options. And the deflector that I have is indeed a viable in my opinion very good option that bypasses other wonderful actors that from what I understand require some minor to medium to major surgery to install. I installed it in a minute or two, literally. And I'm probably the least mechanically inclined person on this forum. I spoke with them before I bought it, very nice people, and great customer service.

I have never seen tested experienced the other wind deflector. as far as the suction cups in such wearing out, I mean what ever is used it will probably wear out in time. I will deal with that at that time. It's only 150 bucks. We forum members tend to blow a lot of money on these cars, in the long run in the big picture I don't really think it matters all that much. I can only say again that I am absolutely 100% thrilled with the one I have. They may not be a supporter of this forum, that does not mean it is not an option. In my opinion it is. Though it is only one man's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Windrestrictor has been a strong supporter of the community from the beginning. Many of us know them personally and have great respect for their integrity and love their products.

We have also seen crap and know it for what it is.

What you are seeing is the honest opinion of long term users of this forum.

·
Premium Member
10,305 Posts
When I 1st looked at the pictures of this product, I thought no way can this stay in place with suction cups on the bottom edge of the glass,
and place on top of the tulip panel, then I realized there is a gap of what it looks like a 3/8th to a 1/2 inch, that lets the air flow threw it.
Clever design but it looks chesse or cheap.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
update on the BackBlade (hereinafter: BB).

once again you guys were right. One of you mentioned that there is a gap near the suction cups, and sure enough I realized there was a lot of wind cutting in there. Also I have pushed this car very hard at many times, very fast days, it was holding up, though I did notice that the suction cups did move, cannot proof positive say it was the wind, either way it should not be moving.

I called the company you guys recommended: Windrestrictor
they were absolutely over-the-top cool.
I ordered one, it should be here tomorrow. Will of course give an update once it is installed.
I am returning the BB.

As always thanks for what appears to be really good advice once again.

·
Premium Member
10,305 Posts
Do not return them yet.
Those BB seat higher than the Windrestrictor, so you may experience a bit more air coming into the cabin than the BB.

·
Vendor
1,511 Posts
update on the BackBlade (hereinafter: BB).

once again you guys were right. One of you mentioned that there is a gap near the suction cups, and sure enough I realized there was a lot of wind cutting in there. Also I have pushed this car very hard at many times, very fast days, it was holding up, though I did notice that the suction cups did move, cannot proof positive say it was the wind, either way it should not be moving.

I called the company you guys recommended: Windrestrictor
they were absolutely over-the-top cool.
I ordered one, it should be here tomorrow. Will of course give an update once it is installed.
I am returning the BB.

As always thanks for what appears to be really good advice once again.
Welcome to the family Guru!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Do not return them yet.
Those BB seat higher than the Windrestrictor, so you may experience a bit more air coming into the cabin than the BB.
thank you for this idea. I probably would have sent the original back before checking out the replacement. The replacement people are amazing, and this is no offense to them. If in fact it is shorter and causes more when, that of course would be the deciding factor. I will give an update of comparison once done which should be within a day or two.

something else not so good I forgot to mention about the BB: one has to move the BB to where it is as close as possible to the seats where the suction cups affix to where the suction cups are not 100% "grabbing" the service area otherwise it annoyingly bangs into the rear window while the car shakes while driving causing an extremely annoying rattling noise. It can be fixed if one moves it as much as possible forward in the direction to the front of the car. I still may wind up keeping it if indeed it does keep more wind out other than the new one, but, this is definitely a consideration long-term insofar having to deal with this.

·
Premium Member
10,305 Posts
To me the best would be for Windrestrictor to modified theirs base on this new idea.
What I would do is put a bracket that would attach to the bottom center of the Windrestrictor and 2 small ones to each end.
This can let you put the Windrestrictor on top of the tulip panel thus providing a better buffer as the BB is doing.
Hope the folks from Windrestrictor are reading this suggestion.
Below is a rough drawing of the design.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do not return them yet.
you are wise man. I definitely would have returned the BB if it would not for you, so thank you. Because, in my opinion the BB is better now that I have had a chance to compare the two, the Windrestrictor ( hereinafter: WR), you are correct, it is low, in fact I was surprised by how low it is, definitely more wind flow with the WR, yes the BB does have some issues that I mentioned above, however, upon further investigation just for instance the rattling against the window can be fixed by simply moving it forward, it still adheres very well, it did not move on its own, my sister borrowed the car and told me she hit it and she moved it, so, I have driven this car fairly aggressively, high speeds a few times, the wind thus far has had no effect upon this thing at all, so it seems at this point as far as I can tell a least nobody makes the ideal wind blocker, if WR made there's much higher, I don't understand why it's so low, and why not make it as high as possible, then yes it would be superior I suppose, at this point I am highly likely to keep the BB and now returned the WR, I think both of these companies could look at each other's products and learn from each other, a marriage of the two as somebody else mentioned above would seem to be ideal.

By the way, the people at WR has said are very nice, this is no reflection on them personally but of course, it's just business not personal so to speak, and I'm sure their product is reasonable in its functionality, I'm simply learning as I'm going along, and just reporting the news without any bias.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To me the best would be for Windrestrictor to modified theirs base on this new idea.
What I would do is put a bracket that would attach to the bottom center of the Windrestrictor and 2 small ones to each end.
This can let you put the Windrestrictor on top of the tulip panel thus providing a better buffer as the BB is doing.
Hope the folks from Windrestrictor are reading this suggestion.
Below is a rough drawing of the design.
I like what you said and what you drew and I think you pretty much have the idea, though as I mentioned above, I see no reason why the WR should not go as high as possible without interfering with the top or anything else, why not, to stop that annoying wind as much as possible from whipping back which to me thus take away from the fun of a convertible at least to some degree, without a wind restrictor of some sort I personally do not like driving convertibles were much as I find that whipping wind too loud and too nasty though with it I am very comfortable and have a lot of fun

1 - 20 of 42 Posts