Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black Cat are located just south of Niagara Falls ON. I popped by a few weeks ago and had them look at my interior. I asked them to come with something that would look good with my interior. This is what they have come up with . The face matches my Autometer gauges in my DDM gauge pod. I won't be installing until next year as I said this would be a 2015 mod. :willy: Let me know what you think.:cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DDM Guage pod

Here is a shot of my Autometer gauges.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great!

Nice colors
Thanks Rob.:thumbs: I think it is going to look pretty cool. I like the yellow GXP to match my mean machine and the red racing flag matches the ones I have on my air vents. I plan to get this installed next year when I get the new head unit put in. Figure do it all at once.:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Looks good! Nice clean and elegant. Plus it looks like he put in my corrected trunk-open icon :) (though a bit difficult to tell clearly).

What color backlights are on the Autometers? Red like stock, or are you changing yours to white, with one of their LED kits?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good! Nice clean and elegant. Plus it looks like he put in my corrected trunk-open icon :) (though a bit difficult to tell clearly).

What color backlights are on the Autometers? Red like stock, or are you changing yours to white, with one of their LED kits?
Yes, the trunk-open icon is the corrected one. When I was researching I saw your post on it and I mentioned it in my purchase sign off. The Autometers are red back lights so will stay stock red in the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
OK, cool!

Maybe a good time to repost my 'needle setting' tips, then... :)
There's a real trick to getting the needles back on and aligned at zero (not as easy as you might think). This is my step-by-step guide. Follow it exactly and you'll be fine. (Whatever you do, don't replace the window/dash etc, until you've driven the car and made sure your needles are aligned correctly!)

1. Start with the clear front screen still off, the wiring connector plugged back into the back of the cluster (if you previously removed it) and ignition off.
2. VERY lightly place at least one needle(s) on shaft(s) at roughly the 0/zero position. DO NOT PRESS DOWN (you will need to adjust placement later). This will allow you to see what's happening in the next step.
3. Turn on ignition and then off again, wait ~20 secs for the needles to settle to their 'negative' position (normally, below the 0's).
4. Turn on ignition and fake start the car by turning key to the start position with foot off the clutch (if you have an autobox, I guess you can start the car and turn it off again). Needles will do the test sweep and return to zero.
5. Turn off ignition. During the 15secs or so while all needle shafts are at their zero positions, gently remove and replace needles to point exactly at zeros and push the needles down on shafts - but no more than halfway. NOTE: be careful, it's easy to knock/turn the stepper motor shafts round while doing this and you'll have to repeat. If you run out of time just do one or two of the needles at once.
6. Repeat steps from #3 above, to verify that needles are set correctly. If not remove/repeat. If they are correct, then push down all the way. Then test again! Go for a short drive then park and lock the car and go away for 10 minutes. Come back and check again!
7. If all's OK, clip clear screen back on and put everything back together.

Note: Doesn't matter how much gas you have, gas gauge will read 0 at step 5.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you TS.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I will finally be getting this installed this week. I had hoped that the company who installed my aftermarket head unit would do it but they put their hand up and passed. The trim dude at my dealership has agreed to do it. He has done a lot of stuff for me so I know it will be done right.

I have a question. Hopefully, Tomato Soup, Cokeoligist or anyone that has a Black Cat Guage face installed sees this. Ok, forgive me if this is a completely boneheaded question.:willy: My stock cluster ( pic below) and air fuel & boost gauge in my DDM pod all light up red. The Black Cat Guage face was custom designed to match the Guages in the pod. It comes with a red LED kit. Do I need to install it if I am already red?

If I don't have to then I save some $$$$. Have been reading Tomato Soup's always highly helpful post on this and if I don't have to do the LED's then this could be a 30 minute job. Appreciate your responses.
NS

Attachments

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Your factory guages come with red backlights (little bulbs with red condoms over them) and the Blackcat faces are clear, so whatever color is behind is what will display through.
So you WILL have red by default and don't need the red LED kit.

However, the LED kit will be brighter than stock lights, if that is something you want.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your factory guages come with red backlights (little bulbs with red condoms over them) and the Blackcat faces are clear, so whatever color is behind is what will display through.
So you WILL have red by default and don't need the red LED kit.

However, the LED kit will be brighter than stock lights, if that is something you want.
TS
Thank you for this info.:thumbs: I thought as much but having you confirm it really helps.
I will stay factory red as the way everything lights up and ties in with my guages in the pod right now is perfect. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Looks great but if you drive the car in the U.S. It might be handy to have MPH on there as well.

Where are they exactly south of Niagara Falls? That's where I am.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great but if you drive the car in the U.S. It might be handy to have MPH on there as well.

Where are they exactly south of Niagara Falls? That's where I am.
I can't see MPH on the factory face plate. The damn whippersnapper GM people made the lettering too small. :devil: Get off my lawn! Why would they make the lettering so small. It could not be my eye sight.:willy:

When I drive in the USA I always used the MPH on my Garmin GPS. I now have the built in Kenwood with Garmin and I use the MPH on it. I can see it!!!!!:lol:

As for Black Cat they are located on the Niagara PKWY between Chippawa and Fort Erie. They operate out of their home where they do the design but do not manufacture there.:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Yeah I use the Kenwood head unit as well but if and when I get a new guage face it'll have MPH on it as well. I don't know that it's the small type face that prevents me from reading the MPH as I can read it at night but the red on the black background.

Gonna look good when you get it installed. You really should give it a shot yourself as it really is one of the easiest mods you can do on our cars.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I use the Kenwood head unit as well but if and when I get a new guage face it'll have MPH on it as well. I don't know that it's the small type face that prevents me from reading the MPH as I can read it at night but the red on the black background.

Gonna look good when you get it installed. You really should give it a shot yourself as it really is one of the easiest mods you can do on our cars.
Thanks Bob. I would just be too nervous to do it myself. I saw how easy the bommerang comes off when I had the Kenwood installed. Cant wait to get it installed.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed!

Here it is installed. Did not have to use the LED's. The factory red shone through. Tomato Soup was correct. Dealership charged me I hour labour to do the job. Am very happy with that and a job well done. Took longer than 1 hour. They fiddled and got the needles exactly right. The guy that did the install thought the gauge face looked OEM which I always take as a compliment. Will try to get a pic at some point that shows it not lit up. Ties in perfectly with my aftermarket gauges in the DDM pod. Highly recommend Black Cat and I am very happy.:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Side by Side

This pic gives you a nice comparison. The white on the Black Cat ties in with the white on my autometer guages in the DDM pod. Love the GXP in yellow. The racing flags are my own little touch and go with the ones I have on my centre air vents.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another view...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts