Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when they will include the Bluetooth as an option on our Solstice? I was thinking it would be cool to for our cars to tell us when there is another one within the immediate area.

I have seen some kind of gizmo (not the accountant) that people use in clubs that either transmit emotions or hits about what they are looking to hookup with at the club. Wouldn't the same type of thing work for our cars?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Currently Bluetooth only has a 30 foot connection, so we'd see the car before the Bluetooth gizwhiz would tell us there's another car near. I'm installing a bluetooth module on mine as soon as I get it for my cell phone. The only visible part will go on the dash right where that "First 1000" emblem is on everyone else's cars, and it's about the same size. The Bluetooth module could also be hooked up to other devices in the future.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
We could Ad Hoc wi-fi and get notice of any car with-in hundreds of feet... and they are starting to come out with long-distance wi-fi... although there is a fine-line between "I see another car before I even get electronic notice" and "Oh, it's picking up another Solstice on the other side of the city."

·
Registered
40 Posts
GO_DRVN said:
I was just wondering when they will include the Bluetooth as an option on our Solstice? I was thinking it would be cool to for our cars to tell us when there is another one within the immediate area.

I have seen some kind of gizmo (not the accountant) that people use in clubs that either transmit emotions or hits about what they are looking to hookup with at the club. Wouldn't the same type of thing work for our cars?
Hi, as long as we are looking for ways to increase the pleasure, how about fitting the cars with a TCAS II? I fly with one and I wouldn't be without its resolutions. I don’t see why a skillful programmer couldn’t reconfigure the TA software to supply “Hey, lookout, nearby solstice” instead of the standard advisories. just kidding

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
2007 Bluetooth, 2008 Navigation

2007 version could add "Bluetooth". 2008 version would add "Navigation System". Just my thoughts! :yesnod:

·
Registered
278 Posts
um... so what would be the point of a bluetooth enabled car? what would it do for you? help you connect it to your laptop for diagnostics?

·
Registered
201 Posts
tednelson83 said:
um... so what would be the point of a bluetooth enabled car? what would it do for you? help you connect it to your laptop for diagnostics?
The most popular reason is your cell phone. The second you turn your car on it connects to your phone, and incoming calls are routed through the speakers and an installed mic. The phone never leaves your pocket.

Once the battery life on mp3 players is improved, you can expect to see bluetooth solutions for them as well. No more aux input, just have it near your car and it works.

In the future, well it wont be bluetooth... but wimax is very promising.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tednelson83 said:

I don't realy mean Bluetooth. That is just the first technology that I thought of that recognizes other like devices in it's sphere of influence. I know Bluetooth has a very limited range, but there has to be something out there that would alert us to another Solstice within say a mile or two radius.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I really like bluetooth for cell phones... I have a Razor V-3 and would love bluetooth connection ... BUT... I really don't want everyone around me hearing my conversations blaring over the monsoon radio system when the top is down... :lol: only drawback... plus I doubt if you'd be able to hear when driving down the freeway at 60+ mph... I use my bluetooth headset instead...

·
Registered
278 Posts
thats a good point, another one to consider is the fact that the car is not a luxury car as a lot of people would like it to be.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
or just suck it up and get an ear-piece to your phone. If you want the ultra in stylish to match your car:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/systems/product.asp?section=systems&sub=tp&prodid=549
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/systems/product.asp?page=ts&section=systems&sub=tp&ProdID=549

I've got the Bang & Olufsen A8s, which are the ear-bud version of that headset above (for listening to music)... and they are the best sounding, most comfortable, stylish earpieces known to man. The center tube part is actually a mini-hydrolic piston for height adjustment.

They are designed for comfort, style, and absolute minimal audio leakage, which is especially good for driving a convertible.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Futuristic Car........

I'm more interested in the possibilty of Navigation. The car already has the futuristic look, just needs the Navigation to make it complete. May try some aftermarket stuff in a few months. (If my car ever makes it to California).

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
GO DRVN said:
I have seen some kind of gizmo (not the accountant)
I HEARD that! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Nav systems... I posted a thread awhile back re this point. I was looking at the Pioneer AVIC D-1 Double DIN in dash unit. Great looking design w/o a lot of extra plastic knobs and stuff on it. Touch screen voice directions and great reviews. However, as most after market units it has a flat front vs. the slightly curved design of the OEM radio system. (monsoon in my car). I'm not sure how a flat unit would look in this dash... also if I want to mess up the over look/design of a 1K model. I really do miss the nav system from my last car and might look at the Garmin or another port. unit but I also don't like a lot of cords and stuff stuck on my car... I guess I'm still "up in the air" about it... Any more thoughts from this thread group?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
ntouched said:
2007 version could add "Bluetooth". 2008 version would add "Navigation System". Just my thoughts! :yesnod:
I don't believe that GM is even playing with Bluetooth yet (something else they are 5-7 yrs. behind on). All of the Japanese companies are using it heavily. I have a friend that's been working on Bluetooth integration for Acura and he will be helping me put it into my Solstice once I get it. Main reason is for cell phone useage... but I might be able to use it for navigation system as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts