Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Solstice GXP upgraded Monsoon Radio,i think it is what is referred to as the U3 radio.I would like to keep everything stock for now,just wondering how to get blue tooth so I can be hands free in NY.Anyone have any info ,I would appreciate it ,don't want to spend allot of cash right now ,maybe in near future I will get a better head unit and then it will have all that in it anyways.Thanks:willy::lol:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have this: CarAudio Connect AUX with Bluetooth | BT Music Receiver | Audio | Entertainment | Products | Belkin USA Site

Shop around, I picked mine up for around $40-ish.

Not very integrated, but does the trick for me and easy installation, just plug it in to the outlet, AUX cable and pair it, no taking my car apart. I have a Touchstone dock wired to my car, put my phone on the dock to charge, hit the button to connect and off I go. Only issue I have with it is when your phone loses range, it doesn't immediately disconnect and waits for a timeout of at least 15-20 minutes before it will fully disconnect, then you can press the button to reconnect. Otherwise you need to initiate the connection from your phone for it to work. Gets annoying if you just want to run into a store to grab something and come back.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Shame on you fosti for not searching first :devil:

You can do aftermarket, like this: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/plugnplay-bluetooth-parrot-ck3000-kit-61516/

Or find a compatible OnStar box (VCIM) that has bluetooth built in. Either get one that matches 'close enough' in which case you'll lose OnStar itself (if you care). OR get an exact match and get bluetooth and keep OnStar. Plenty of posts on this and part numbers if you search (sorry don't have links)

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
My 07 came without OnStar. It has no bluetooth.

I do have an 09 Sky USB radio and am going to add OnStar for my car. I have added it to the wife's Kia Soul and my Punisher F150. I like it a lot. It works very well and is totally a self contained package that does not have to be mated with the car other than mechanical and power.:thumbs:

Gives me full bluetooth for the phone.

I also am going to be running the bluetooth ap on my phone connected to my radar detector. Should be interesting.

I use iPod for tunes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tomato : contacted several companies or should I say resellers,they all say that you cannot just change the VCIM and gain Bluetooth.I was reasonably sure that you could do this but was then told that even if you could you would have to get the VCIM reprogrammed.I guess I got the wrong info.I will do a search here to see what others have done,all I want to do is stay as close to stock as possible ,don't mind changing the VCIM if that would work,but if I have to start ripping into the audio then I may as well either connect to Satellite and Onstar or just buy a better head unit . Brings up another issue,I will check around this site for an answer to this also ,radio antenna(shorty,rubber ducky) is there a way to see if it is a antenna issue ,channels don't always come in well out here,my other vehicles work just fine but all have the regular masts.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Tomato : contacted several companies or should I say resellers,they all say that you cannot just change the VCIM and gain Bluetooth.I was reasonably sure that you could do this but was then told that even if you could you would have to get the VCIM reprogrammed.
They are (at least, partially) wrong. I know, I've done it! However, if you don't get the correct one you'll lose OnStar functions as a result (but you do keep the emergency access, which is via cellular). That wasn't an issue for me, but for you it may be.

If you get a used VCIM, you may need to have it reprogrammed for your car, but I recall (I think) someone else doing that and it just worked - though without OnStar again.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I ending up going with this place: OEM Bluetooth Retrofit Kit for MANY GM Carlines

you have to ask to be notified when they are available and just wait it out, but when you get one they just plug in and everything works.
That is what I have, it is expensive but it is an OEM solution. Might be selling mine soon if anyone is interested in adding OEM Bluetooth to your car PM me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am thinking about it,there are cheaper solutions out there for around $50.00 that just plugs in.Not the best but it supposedly works.How much for yours?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but why is the 2006 excluded for the OEM kit? Is it because OnStar was not an option?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
The VCIM unit above *is* the OnStar box. If OnStar wasn't an option for your car, it's likely the wiring is not there (and certainly the antenna won't be), so there's nothing to attach it to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This isn't mentioned in this thread, but Exhibit13 and anyone else who has swapped this part to the Bluetooth VCIM, does this allow streaming via Bluetooth, or is it just for phone calls? 200+ is a lot for just phone calls, but for streaming as well, it might be worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ending up going with this place: OEM Bluetooth Retrofit Kit for MANY GM Carlines

you have to ask to be notified when they are available and just wait it out, but when you get one they just plug in and everything works.
Hey nolanb,

Are any modifications required when installing this? I ordered one of these oem retrofit kits from them (WAMS) and it came in today. Below are pictures of the unit and I don't see any mounting brackets attached to it. The first picture below is of a VCIM unit in a SKY and it looks like it has brackets, so I'm just curious as to how you went about mounting/installing this unit.

/R,
NoBlemish

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts

I have been in contact with WAMS (White Auto and Media Services) and unfortunately they replied . . . . Sorry those kits were discontinued about a year ago

So what other options I have to use BlueTooth to connect to my phoene. I would like to be able to the the button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
355 Posts
$200 is a lot of money just to add Bluetooth even if it does audio streaming as well. you can buy a new head unit with native bt and satellite radio (or hd radio with optional satellite), for that price. of course you'll end up needing to spend about $150 additional to install and retain full oem functionality, but if you're going to spend $200 you might as well spend 350 and get a significantly better Bluetooth and music experience. or just buy $50 external bt adapter for phone or $20 auxiliary adapter for streaming and plug into aux in (stock unit has front aux in, right?)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just my two cents on this!

I recently installed the Pioneer FHX-700BT into my Solstice(before my engine gave) and I absolutely loved it. It doesn't have all that fancy GPS and fancy big screen.. but it adds a nice flavor to the car. The sound quality it gives out is pretty damn clear. Don't get me wrong it isn't the best money can buy, but for 175? It's pretty damn good.

The only thing I will say before you turn it down completely, is the lights, if set to match to a color within the car, can add a VERY nice appeal.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts