Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
mceb said:
Saw one of these bad boys on the highway last weekend. Had no idea what it was but I saw the BMW name and Alpina. Looked it up, pretty rare and expensive roadster.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/bm....html?tid=edmunds.u.cpoprices.content..3.BMW*
Coincidence. Saw one in the city today. First I've seen in several years. That elegant back end is pretty distinctive. The car seems part Lotus & part Maserati to me. Don't know why.

Too bad the driver was driving in a manner not befitting such a sophisticated car. I don't remember the power rating of the V8 motor, but I recall it was powerful for the time. (Howabout checking the LINK mceb politely provided!) Yes, 375 HP was some serious HP for a car introduced in 2000.

IF ONLY BMW had designed the Z4 along the lines of the Z8, I think they would still be selling strongly. I know I would at least be considering one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Last time I was in a Z-8 was 2 years ago...$133,000.00 sticker...what I remember most was how comfortable it was, and the smell of the leather...Oh Man...Unforgettable!! :cool:

But for 25k, I think I can e happy with the Sol...time will tell!!

·
5,600 Posts
mceb,

When I first saw this thread I thought, "Here we go again, mceb got impatient and decided to buy a 2003 BMW Z8 instead." ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Always been one of my favorites from the point of view of styling (supposedly intended to be a resurrected 507). One of the English car shows (5th Gear I think) gave it an extensive track review, however, and were very disappointed with it's sloppy handling. So, what the hell, I wouldn't drive it on the track! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jimbo said:
mceb,

When I first saw this thread I thought, "Here we go again, mceb got impatient and decided to buy a 2003 BMW Z8 instead." ;)
Funny, I can't jump ship now :lol:

Agree, the styling of thw Z8 was awesome but leave behind the 133k price tag ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Alpina

While stationed in Germany during the early 80's I had a used M3 Alpina. What a car! The profile on the tires were so low they all looked flat. Alpina does the best suspension work for BMW.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
jimbo said:
Yes, 375 HP was some serious HP for a car introduced in 2000.

IF ONLY BMW had designed the Z4 along the lines of the Z8, I think they would still be selling strongly. I know I would at least be considering one.
Yep ... good power and the sucker was really lean too ... aluminum frame and body makes it really light. I think the 0-60 is just over 4 seconds.

Gotta agree about the styling too ... the Z8 is awesome compared to the Z4. I have a Z3 now and hate the awkward lines and creases they put on the Z4 ... dunno what BMW was thinking. Would be nice to have a Z8, but I think I still like the looks of the Solstice a little better. Oh well, lucky for me I don't have enough money to have to make a choice between the two ... no six-figure cars for me anytime soon. :)

If you want a pretty thorough article about the Z8, check out http://www.germancarfans.com/print.cfm/ID/2021223.001

EDIT: Actually, that article lists 0-60 as 4.7 seconds, but I could have sworn I've seen it listed as 4.2 or 4.3 somewhere. Oh well ... maybe it was for a different version or something.

·
Registered
71 Posts
jimbo said:
Coincidence. Saw one in the city today. First I've seen in several years. That elegant back end is pretty distinctive. The car seems part Lotus & part Maserati to me. Don't know why.

Too bad the driver was driving in a manner not befitting such a sophisticated car. I don't remember the power rating of the V8 motor, but I recall it was powerful for the time. (Howabout checking the LINK mceb politely provided!) Yes, 375 HP was some serious HP for a car introduced in 2000.

The Z8 used the V8 from the M5 and had ~400hp ...

And I like how you refer to 2000 like it was so long ago... :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Z8 is an awesome car. Didn't it have a role in one of the more recent Bond films? They cut it in half! Well, they cut a dummy mock-up of a Z8 in half! :lol: I've seen one around from time to time. Its probably the only Z8 in Western New York!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yes "The World is not Enough"

·
5,600 Posts
MO-KAN SHO said:
The Z8 used the V8 from the M5 and had ~400hp ...

And I like how you refer to 2000 like it was so long ago... :lol:
2000 is ancient in the horsepower wars. It seems like available HP across all product lines has skyrocketed in the past 5 years. I am sure insurance rates will follow. These are the good old days! Between gas and insurance, I expect the horsepower wars to end just as fast as they began - similar to what happened in the late 60s and early 70s. Just not as bad, due to no sudden oil crisis. It will be more gradual.

If you yearn for high horsepower or big HP/$ ratio, I think we are in the peak years right now. It's certainly never been better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all!

Since I have profited from this forums knowledge so much, I'd be glad to give something back. And as to the fact that I live in Germany I might be able to add something this time.

I have to say, that I wouldn't say that I don't like the actual Z4. But in my opinion the Z4 is a little bit too aggressive for a car of that price. I mean, it is a cool car but it could definetely be a bit more subtle.

BMW has big problems with selling the roadster. I read today that they sell less than 35000 cars a year. It was more than 55000 in the beginning.

In todays edition of the german car magazine "Auto Bild" there's an article about BMW's plans for a facelift of the Z4 for the end of the year. They also plan to revive the Z3 coupe, this time being a Z4 of course. The coupe looks cool . The roof slopes slowly which looks great compared with the abrupt end of the old Z3 coupe.

I have still some restrictions on my account, so I think I can't post the pictures from the magazine here. But I can say that the facelift will make the car more elegant and less aggressive. For me it seems to be more monolithic than before and I like it.

Of course neither the Z4 nor the Z8 pose a threat to the Solstice. Look at the prices!

·
Registered
71 Posts
jimbo said:
2000 is ancient in the horsepower wars. It seems like available HP across all product lines has skyrocketed in the past 5 years. I am sure insurance rates will follow. These are the good old days! Between gas and insurance, I expect the horsepower wars to end just as fast as they began - similar to what happened in the late 60s and early 70s. Just not as bad, due to no sudden oil crisis. It will be more gradual.

If you yearn for high horsepower or big HP/$ ratio, I think we are in the peak years right now. It's certainly never been better.

I agree 100%... it just sounds funny to me seeing 2000 referred to as ancient in any context... when you consider that that's almost 6 model years ago, it certainly is a long way back... midsize cars were still bragging about 200hp... now it seems you can't get one without at least an option for close to 300hp. And that's not even the sports cars!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
t.henss said:
in my opinion the Z4 is a little bit too aggressive for a car of that price.
Aggressive design is generally a good thing ... but I don't think that's the Z4's problem. I don't like it because of the stupid random creases in the body panels and many people I've talked to seem to agree. If you're going to do something like that, it should at least follow the natural lines of the car or accent the curves. On the Z4, they're distracting and it just looks goofy. It's not surprising they're having a harder time selling them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority because I love the look of the Z4, I just can't justify spending that much money on one.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wouldn't throw a Z4 out of my garage, but its not my favorite roadster either. I just cannot get used to that slash line on the side. I don't think its terrible, but it catches my eye in a not too pleasing way. Still, its a cool car!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While we are on topic of Z4...

How does the handling of the Z4 stack up against other roasters like Miata, TT, Boxster, S2000? Don't they use electronic assist in their steering or something in Z4?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
mceb said:
While we are on topic of Z4...

How does the handling of the Z4 stack up against other roasters like Miata, TT, Boxster, S2000? Don't they use electronic assist in their steering or something in Z4?
Handling: comparable - standard active handling that can be turned off. Lots of grip.
Ride: hard/firm, maybe more so than S2000, MUCH firmer than Miata. I chalk it up to the Run-Flats.
Steering: ennnnhhh. Decent, but not as good a feel as the Miata or S2K. Definitely NOT up to BMW standards for steering feel. Somewhat inconsistent effort, occasional "backdrive" feel (hard to describe, but kind of artificial). Compared to S2K, MSM and Miata, the Z4 follows road ruts and has a tendency to hunt around unpredictably if the road has traffic-worn grooves that can be barely seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts