Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Guest blogger. But what I took away was that Saab is an awfully small company with less than 200k cars per year WORLDWIDE.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
What is the appeal with Saab? Can anyone really say "I lust after Saab?"

·
Registered
753 Posts
solli4me said:
Saab is the alternative for people who go for Volvo.
i had a Volvo 240 station wagon (5 speed-4 cylinder) and would happily cruise all day on the interstate at 85 mph. plenty of tourque, tall gearing and safe. so safe that my ex wife who kept the car after our divorce did not die (actually she walked away unscratched) when she blew a stop sign and hit another car head on at full steam.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I had a 1976 Volvo 240 stationwagon and I did love that way it rode. But, I totaled it in 1983. I like to say that I'm a member of the "Volvo saved my life" club. I walked away with 43 stitches, a broken arm, and the rocks knocked out of my head. :lol: If I'd been driving my 1978 Honda civic hatchback that night, I wouldn't be on these boards today.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solli4me said:
Apparently 200,000 buyers a year can honestly say that! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Chris Stack said:
SAAB (and Volvo), are the Mercedes and BMW for people who won't buy a Mercedes or BMW, because they think they are too ostentatious. They tend to be very popular among liberal professionals like College Professors. They are also very popular among the wealthier residents of places like Mass, NH, Vermont, and Maine.
If Saab built a truck that could tow a one or two horse trailer they would not be able to build them fast enough.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I managed a Saab dealership in Troy Michigan for a couple of years. Personally, they were some of my favorite cars. I say "were" because they were still Saabs then. Now GM has gotten too involved into the production of the cars and has bastardized the vehicles. Slapping a Saab badge on a Subaru...disgraceful. Slapping it on a GM SUV ... ridiculous. I realize the car company is not a "profitable" company...but they should be allowed to stay pure to their market. If they are going to die..let them die with grace and dignity!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
We assume GM wants to be profitable, but purchasing troubled nameplates like Saab, and then trying to employ a few "get rich quick" badge engineering tricks makes me think otherwise. It makes me think GM likes losing money.

Tha said, the 9-7 SUV does have a number of improvements over the other GM versions, making it quite possible the best of the bunch. That could net Saab a few sales, even if they are not to traditional Saab buyers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
From talking with many people high up in GM and Ford. A lot of times the reason they buy these other brands is for market share elsewhere in the world. For example...a foreign country may not allow Gm into their market...but Gm buys Saab that is already in the market and poof..they can rebadge a cavalier and sell it as a Saab there. That combined with the ability to purchase technology and manufacturing plants saves them billions a year. So while the company may lose money...overall it is still a wise investment.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
deepdawg said:
From talking with many people high up in GM and Ford. A lot of times the reason they buy these other brands is for market share elsewhere in the world. For example...a foreign country may not allow Gm into their market...but Gm buys Saab that is already in the market and poof..they can rebadge a cavalier and sell it as a Saab there. That combined with the ability to purchase technology and manufacturing plants saves them billions a year. So while the company may lose money...overall it is still a wise investment.
Just don't repeat the fiasco when Chevy tried to sell NOVA (no-go) south of the Rio Grande and wondered, scratching their heads why they didn't sell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts