Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've had my 09 GXP for about a year now and have loved every minute of it. I do have a few questions for you seasoned owners. I've searched several times and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm also not the most technical oriented guy in the world so forgive my ignorance.
When just cruising at low RPM's what kind of boost pressures should I be seeing?
I'm seeing zero unless I get on it and then see 5-6. Do you really have to go pedal to the floor hard to see max boost?
What are you guys talking about when you talk about "tunes". I bought my car used. How would I know about the tune that I have?
Thanks in advance for your help.
KC

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
If you're cruising you should see little or no boost pressure - just as you do. When overtaking or 'pedal to the metal', you'll see it increase rapidly :)

Here's a couple of videos of my custom boost guage that'll give you an idea of how my car works (for comparison). My car has the GMPP tune (see below):

A "tune" is a reprogram of the car's computer (the "ECM") to make more power. If you don't have a tune you'll see a max boost in the 16-18psi (MAX) range. With a tune, you can see upwards of 20-24psi (and thus an increase in max power from the engine).

GM provides their own tune, called GMPP Stage 2. (Available here for example: Cobalt, Solstice, HHR Stage Kit 19212670HK). That comes with two upgraded pressure sensors, but other aftermarket tunes don't require the sensors and just reprogram the ECM.

·
Registered
715 Posts
TS, I'm still jealous of your boost gauge. :)

Its normal not to see any or low boost in low RPM's. The stock turbo seems to start kicking in about 3000 to 3500 depending on your punch of the gas pedal. If you upgraded to a larger turbo the boost does not kick in until an even higher RPM but the power is much more.

A tune is the most economical way to start in a new adventure of power. Most can stop there and be happy, some have a habit (me) and just need to do more. From there you can add mods and then they will make more of a difference. I agree with TS, if you see max boost of 16-18, you are stock. There are lots of threads for tunes. Once you go tune, you'll never go back.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Stock turbo kicks in for me as low as 1500. Just kick in the pedal. It is also active even when little to no boost is showing as anyone who ever went into limp mode knows. 0 psi boost still eliminates quite a bit of vacuum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
WOW TS!!!! Does your car talk to you too?! ;) Something like, "Hello Michael." :lol: I'm jealous....did you post a how too on that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the help! I guess there's nothing left to do but stretch her legs a little and try to see what my max boost is. Even though I've had the car a year, I still tend to take it easy a bit.
I live in Fayetteville, NC, anyone familiar with a reliable shop in NC that deals with tunes and other performance mods for our cars?
KC

·
Registered
245 Posts
WOW TS!!!! Does your car talk to you too?! Something like, "Hello Michael." I'm jealous....did you post a how too on that?
:agree:
I was considering a seperate boost gauge and that is a cool use of a otherwise useless hole in the dash:thumbs:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't know TS ,you no longer have something to remind you that seat is occupied.Could be an issue.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I don't know TS ,you no longer have something to remind you that seat is occupied.Could be an issue.
Sorry but I do. All the seatbelt and airbag info was migrated into the display too (far right).

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
d
Hello all,
I've had my 09 GXP for about a year now and have loved every minute of it. I do have a few questions for you seasoned owners. I've searched several times and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm also not the most technical oriented guy in the world so forgive my ignorance.
When just cruising at low RPM's what kind of boost pressures should I be seeing?
I'm seeing zero unless I get on it and then see 5-6. Do you really have to go pedal to the floor hard to see max boost?
What are you guys talking about when you talk about "tunes". I bought my car used. How would I know about the tune that I have?
Thanks in advance for your help.
KC
You should see full boost by 3/4 throttle. Mine comes on VERY quickly. And I can see full boost at 2500 if I get on it. Do this, turn your DIC to the boost section. Then get to 3rd gear and push it almost to the floor and you should see 16-18psi if your not tuned. If you still only see 5psi, then there's an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who took time to help a newbie out. I took the car out and got on it as hard as I felt like I could and never got above 15 psi. Felt really strong with no hesitation. It looks like I'm "tuneless".
I'll do some research and see which tune would be best for me. I'll be looking for the one that gives the most bang for the buck and is easy to maintain. The closest thing to set it and forget it.
Thanks again.
KC

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Yeah, does sound like you don't have a tune. Just for further info, you'll find you'll make most boost in 4th, accelerating with your foot too the floor, upwards of 50-60 mph.

As for tunes, for a both cheap and simple 'set and forget', just get the Trifecta 'budget' tune. GMPP tune if you're still in warranty (but it will cost double the Trifecta).

If you want to do more with your car (hi-flo cat and other performance improvement mods) there are a number of others out there that can be customized to your mods... Trifecta (non-budget), Westers, DDM, Werks, etc.etc. Or if you want much more DIY and control, go with HPT.

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
TS you are funny,BTW once again ,great mod on that boost pressure readout.

·
Registered
62 Posts
HELP ANYBODY OUT THERE I have a 2009 solstice GXP with a little over 13000 miles on it. after about a year I had a turbo boost loss pulled in drive way turned engine off came out a hour later and it was fine? and had no problems for months later it happen again?after gasing up. turned engine off started it back up and ever thing was fine for months.then it happen again so called dealer they said bring it in I was only getting about 3 PSI floor boarded stop for a soda came back out started it up and it was again working fine.took it to dealer anyway they put computer on it and could not find anything wrong now here lately it is becoming more frequent. along with other odd things like 2500 RPM at Idle. engine rough idle when idleing at 2500 RPM pressing the gas pedal had no effect on it had to turn engine off and then it was ok? have magflow exhaust, tune, CIA all GM parts.anybody out there have any ideals what the #$%@ is going on!!

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
HELP ANYBODY OUT THERE I have a 2009 solstice GXP with a little over 13000 miles on it. after about a year I had a turbo boost loss pulled in drive way turned engine off came out a hour later and it was fine? and had no problems for months later it happen again?after gasing up. turned engine off started it back up and ever thing was fine for months.then it happen again so called dealer they said bring it in I was only getting about 3 PSI floor boarded stop for a soda came back out started it up and it was again working fine.took it to dealer anyway they put computer on it and could not find anything wrong now here lately it is becoming more frequent. along with other odd things like 2500 RPM at Idle. engine rough idle when idleing at 2500 RPM pressing the gas pedal had no effect on it had to turn engine off and then it was ok? have magflow exhaust, tune, CIA all GM parts.anybody out there have any ideals what the #$%@ is going on!!
Do you have the GMPP tune? If so, did you solder in the MAF sensor? If not, pull the wiring (not the connections) apart where the dealer "spliced" the wiring and solder the wires.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Not the MAF; the MAP and TMAP sensors are the ones that are changed with the GMPP tune. The kit includes replacement 3 Bar sensors and splice/crimp connectors. Odds are the service department just used the stupid crimp connectors instead of soldering the joints. This is a known failure point with the GMPP tune. It seems to take about a year before the crimp connectors start to corrode and cause intermittent problems.

They "car will only boost to 3-4 PSI" is "Limp Mode Light". When the ECM determines there is a slight variance between anticipated air charge readings and observed air charge readings: The ECM may decide there is a slight issue that it considers to not be drastic; but to protect the engine it will put you into "Limp Mode Light": Electronic Boost Command is disabled, and only Mechanical Boost Command is left which is about 3-4 PSI max. All other power train functions remain normal, so the car will drive normally except you can not boost more than 3-4 PSI. If the ECM observes a larger issue, it will eventually put into "Full Limp Mode": Electronic Boost Command is disabled and Mechanical Boost Command is disabled (the WG is locked open); so you will have 0 Boost. And Throttle Command will be reduced to about 30%. And Timing will be retarded. And A/F will be set pig rich. In this mode you will be barely able to get up to speed.

Hit up our resident GM Service Representatives on the Forum to help you find a GM Service Center that understands our cars (former Pontiac or Saturn Service Center). The "Couldn't find anything wrong" is a sign that you are going somewhere that does not understand our cars.

Most likely causes of your issues:

1. Failed stupid splice/crimp connectors on Map and TMAP sensors (if GMPP tune installed)

2. Failed stupid OEM throttle body clamp on 90 degree rubber hose connecting to intake on drivers side.

3. Failed stupid OEM Inter-cooler (either split on passenger side end tank or "mushroomed" in the middle)

In your case: Even a fricken monkey should have been able to fine a P0101 code in the ECM history, if you were getting a consistent air charge leak somewhere (Items #2 and/or #3). So therefore, my gut says you have a completely intermittent issue; which suggests failing crimp/splice connectors (Item #1). You mention "tune" and "All GM parts", so I assume you do have the GMPP tune.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts