Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interior of the car is pretty trashed, but new seats/carpet should be able to reuse everything else.

The engine may run, not sure if water got in the engine yet... but I may rebuild it also.

Just curious for any suggestions on where to buy parts for the best price. Any vendors here sell carpet etc?

Regardless I think the swap will be pretty easy... just have to decide if i'm going to fix the stock engine or not, but I really don't know much about the cars so if anyone has any information that might be of use let me know.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
This is a starting point for the Engine & what ever you may need.

ECOTEC Build Book

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is a starting point for the Engine & what ever you may need.

ECOTEC Build Book

Is the ecotec build book different than the shop manual?

I have complete service manual, tq specs, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just curious what you paid for a salvaged Solstice.

$2900 interior is trashed, but everything is coming out. Most can probably be cleaned aside from the seats/carpet. Dash should be fine etc. Have a race at the end of january and end of february, and in the process of remodelling my kitchen. So i really won't tear into this until the spring. A lot of solstices popped up after sandy though.

You dont know what you're getting, it was an online auction and so you're basically bidding on pictures. If the engine is salvageable (which after taking the intake off looks like no water got in), I can probably have it back on the road not even noticeable for $4k. If the engine is trashed, add probably 1k.

This one had the worst interior of all the solstices that were flood damaged, but they can clean them up to look good pictures. So i preferred the ****ty one because I wouldnt have to pay a premium and still have the carpet be soaked, seats trashed anyway, even though they look good in the picture.

The other base solstice we bid on with a much cleaner looking interior went for $4500, which was more than I wanted to spend.

It's the second salvage vehicle I bought, so I kinda new the drill and what to expect even though the other one I was using to just chop up, after I rolled my rally car.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Be careful. Those swimmers are troublesome. Water gets in every electrical connection and starts to corrode. Those problems don't surface until years later and are hard to track down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be careful. Those swimmers are troublesome. Water gets in every electrical connection and starts to corrode. Those problems don't surface until years later and are hard to track down.

Thanks, but I'm not real worried. I'm a EE deal with crap similar all the time. I have all the electrical schematics for the car. The plan is to put dielectric grease on all electrical connections, something similar they use for boats.

Few things i'm worried about would be hvac controls and motor. Aside from that there's not too much electrically that would be a pain in the ass to fix. The solstice having a manual roof is an added bonus in this situation.

·
Registered
702 Posts
$2900 interior is trashed, but everything is coming out. Most can probably be cleaned aside from the seats/carpet.
Just a cautionary note...

The BCM (body control module, essentially a computer) is under the passenger side carpet.

Good luck with your project and keep us informed as it goes along.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a cautionary note...

The BCM (body control module, essentially a computer) is under the passenger side carpet.

Good luck with your project and keep us informed as it goes along.

I've read the engine uses the same computer as my LS2 in the rx7 but my memory may be failing me haha. If that's the case I believe it's sealed, but I do realize it could be a main point of failure, especially if the fuses didn't do their job in time.

Once I get power back to the car, I have HPtuners so I'll be able to tell if it's dead or not. Fortunately the computers are about $50 on ebay.

I'll maybe start a build thread, but like I said not really starting it for a few months, more if I happen to destroy the rally car again. :cryin:

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
czwalga, there's two computers in the car. The ECM deals with the engine and that's located in the engine bay in front of the driver's feet. The BCM that radiodoc talked about, handles a lot of the body electronic funtionality, incl alarm, door locks, GMLAN, dash controls, etc. and also contains a bunch of fuses and relays. Again, it's located low, inside the cabin behind (actually, in front of) the passenger footwell carpet panel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
czwalga, there's two computers in the car. The ECM deals with the engine and that's located in the engine bay in front of the driver's feet. The BCM that radiodoc talked about, handles a lot of the body electronic funtionality, incl alarm, door locks, GMLAN, dash controls, etc. and also contains a bunch of fuses and relays. Again, it's located low, inside the cabin behind (actually, in front of) the passenger footwell carpet panel.

Thanks for that. Yeah, not to familiar with the BCM's. I know the vette's had them as well, but I never used the BCM in my rx7, just the ECM.

We'll see what happens! I'm not sure if the BCM is sealed or not since i've not looked at it. Regardless I'll just replace it if need be.

Fortunately the car is not an auto, I was only bidding on manuals.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
We'll see what happens! I'm not sure if the BCM is sealed or not since i've not looked at it. Regardless I'll just replace it if need be.
Definitely not sealed, but you can probably just pull it apart and clean/dry it out and dielectric it. The bigger problem would be the wiring and those connectors. Can't replace them without the whole loom, and they're pretty dense and complex. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
TS, I was able to get the terminals, can't remember where I sourced them anymore, but I could find them again if I had to. I have a whole bag full of the terminals for the BCM connectors in storage...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, EFI connections should sell them. I've made a few wiring harnesses before and I was able to source the connectors I needed from them and another company that I cant remember off the top of my head.

Still I dont anticipate having to swap connectors, unless the connections are completely ruined. They should be able to be cleaned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TS, I was able to get the terminals, can't remember where I sourced them anymore, but I could find them again if I had to. I have a whole bag full of the terminals for the BCM connectors in storage...

Do you have the BCM connectors, if so do they have pigtails? I finally ripped into the car on sunday, had some free time while paint was drying in my kitchen.

Ripped the interior out. Only fuse blown under the hoods fuse panel was the fuel pump. The BCM on the other hand is completely destroyed. Not a big deal I was anticipating on replacing it.

It's so low that it's essentially been socked in water for 5 months. The ECM and its connectors seem to be in good shape.

Anyways, I could possibly clean them like i'm going to do everywhere else (deoxit, then put dielectric grease on them), but these connectors on the BCM should probably just be replaced.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
CZ - I had to replace the main power supply connector to the BCM on mine and was able to find the connector shell and terminals on-line at a couple of places. I ordered mine from Crate Engine Depot. That particular connector had two terminal part numbers listed for it and those correlated to different gauges of wire. (The mating portion of the terminal was the same.)

Let us know if you need assistance in finding part numbers for the other connectors. I don't believe they will have pigtails, but a simple pick can release the terminals from the connectors. If you map out the connector and wire colors, you could possibly just replace the terminals and use the same connector shells, I'd assume.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CZ - I had to replace the main power supply connector to the BCM on mine and was able to find the connector shell and terminals on-line at a couple of places. I ordered mine from Crate Engine Depot. That particular connector had two terminal part numbers listed for it and those correlated to different gauges of wire. (The mating portion of the terminal was the same.)

Let us know if you need assistance in finding part numbers for the other connectors. I don't believe they will have pigtails, but a simple pick can release the terminals from the connectors. If you map out the connector and wire colors, you could possibly just replace the terminals and use the same connector shells, I'd assume.

Thanks! Actually thats a valid point. The plastic is really fine, it's the contacts i'd like to replace. I'm sure I could take them out and find the correct contacts on newark/digikey.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Do you have the BCM connectors, if so do they have pigtails? I finally ripped into the car on sunday, had some free time while paint was drying in my kitchen.

Ripped the interior out. Only fuse blown under the hoods fuse panel was the fuel pump. The BCM on the other hand is completely destroyed. Not a big deal I was anticipating on replacing it.

It's so low that it's essentially been socked in water for 5 months. The ECM and its connectors seem to be in good shape.

Anyways, I could possibly clean them like i'm going to do everywhere else (deoxit, then put dielectric grease on them), but these connectors on the BCM should probably just be replaced.
Sorry, man... by "in storage" I mean not accessible. Seems like you're on the right track to finding the terminals, though. If you run into trouble, I can dig through my records and let you know where I got them...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts