Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those invissioning your Sol with a bra, you might want to consider going bra-less. My past experiences with bras have not been happy ones! :lol:. Both my former 280Z and 300ZX very briefly had bras across the front end with were quickly dumped after I realized that they left rub marks in the paint expecially around the edges as well as discoloring (fading) the paint beneath the bra. A wet bra is not a good thing, expecially on car paint! I'll take mine bra-less, thank you! :lol:

·
Registered
600 Posts
You're right. I've never seen or heard of anyone happy with a bra after they have had it for awhile. It might be good for traveling to a car show if you keep it under 10 mph. :lol:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
PAS22 said:
A wet bra is not a good thing, expecially on car paint!
A girl, your car, the beach ... and a wet bra laying on your car. How can that not be a good thing? :glol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SlySol said:
A girl, your car, the beach ... and a wet bra laying on your car. How can that not be a good thing? :glol:

OK, there are exceptions.....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Not to mention the fact that the one I've seen in person (though it was a ways off) and the pictures we've all seen on this site just don't look very good. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a bra on my 300zx as well. I had pretty much the same experience. I left the bra on for a couple months and decided I didnt like it to much. But when I took it off, the paint underneath had faded differently and you could tell. So I had to leave it on.

- :willy:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Had a bra on my Miata for awhile. The paint didn't fade, but it needed to be removed every time the car was washed. Just wasn't worth the trouble. I'm very interested in the 3M treatment, although I don't know much about it.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
palmer said:
I'm very interested in the 3M treatment, although I don't know much about it.
Mee too. I Googled it a while back. Seemed pretty cool, looks like you need professional installation if you do whole front and it costs about $500 I think. Places didn't have Solstice listed yet, guess they have to build a template once they get the car.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I was planning on getting the bra, with the intention of only using it for long road trip on interstate highways and such. There just always seem to be so much gravel being kicked up to chip your paint on those kind of roads. I would not put it on the car for local or everyday driving.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The only problem with the 3M bra is that it's permenent. You can peel it off but you won't be able to put it back on. It's just clear vinyl. So if your into waxing your car durring the summer, then the front of your car will never get the wax.

I see that as a problem.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
SlipSlider said:
The only problem with the 3M bra is that it's permenent. You can peel it off but you won't be able to put it back on. It's just clear vinyl. So if your into waxing your car durring the summer, then the front of your car will never get the wax.

I see that as a problem.
I would think the vinyl layer would provide even more protection than a layer of wax. I believe it forms a fairly air-tight seal like window tint or something. It would certainly prevent exposure to the elements ... don't know if it has any type of U/V blocking though.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The 3M thing is semi-permanent...it can come off but as you said can't go on and off.

True you won't be waxing it but as SlySol said the 3M layer itself is more protection than wax is.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
And there's been reports that there may be some of the stuff put on at the factory in the roof/deck lid interface area. Wouldn't be that big a stretch to add some, aftermarket, to the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mceb said:
Quick sample of some of the places that do the clear bra thing. Good for FAQ type info. I'm going to look around locally to see who installs stuff like this in my area.

http://www.transparentbra.com/
http://www.autopaintguard.com/
http://www.phantomshield.net/
http://www.thebraman.com/

I wonder is anyone has tryed this on another vehicle. I guess I am concerned with anything that completely seals the paint, since it will age differently that the sun and weather exposed areas. In the long run it potentially could have the same bad effects as the vinyl bras. If I were seriously considering a bra, which of course I am not, I think I would lean towards a detachable type.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
PAS22 said:
In the long run it potentially could have the same bad effects as the vinyl bras.
Probably not that bad. The worst part about detachable bras is that even the most expensive and softest models tend to rub the paint and cause swirls ... there's really no way to prevent it when you're traveling at highway speeds. They also completely block out the sun, which means the paint underneath won't fade along with the rest of the paint. Neither of those problems should exist with the clear treatment. You're basically just sealing the paint like you would with a good coat of wax ... but not blocking the sun.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
So, any ideas on wether or not you could get a 3M 'bra' to cover the entire vehicle?

I'm sure that'd cost a good few grand or so, but I'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
dori-san said:
So, any ideas on wether or not you could get a 3M 'bra' to cover the entire vehicle?

I'm sure that'd cost a good few grand or so, but I'm just curious.
Never heard of that, just the front end.

·
Registered
120 Posts
3M bra

I had it installed on my "03 Bravada. Here in Nebraska with many gravel roads it has save my front end paint several times. It can hardly be seen and looks as good as a new wax job. The only problem is that if you try to remove it or adjust it, the adhesive is such that the vinyl will stretch and you end up with ripples or bubbles.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts