Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Just got my Solstice a week ago and I've been getting to know it since then. I've run into a few problems as expected and this is the one I'm currently stuck on. My solstice had no starter or crank position sensor when I got it, so it had to be towed to me. I've got those in and working fine now, so I cranked her up to try to take it for a test drive and as I'm pulling out of my driveway I realize I have almost no brake pressure. I'm familiar with standard bleeding procedures and I've already read past threads on this forum explaining the specific order of these cars. Problem is, I'm getting stuck on the driver side rear caliper. I've tried manual bleeding and gravity bleeding. The first two wheels (RR, LF) have good pressure and spewing fluid as expected. The LR wheel, no matter how many times I pump or how long I (gravity) bleed it, still is dripping slowly and has air bubbles in the line. The last wheel seems to have no air but is lacking pressure / slow dripping. I'm keeping the fluid res topped off and the cap open. I also traced the brake line all the way to the master and see no visible signs of damage and no fluid leaks. All connections are tight as well. I'm not a professional, so I'm assuming there's something simple I am missing.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
How rusty are the bleeders? Could be that they are blocked. I would also take a look at the master cylinder. Could just be that it is shot.

Also, how much 'meat' is left on the brake pads?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How rusty are the bleeders? Could be that they are blocked. I would also take a look at the master cylinder. Could just be that it is shot.

Also, how much 'meat' is left on the brake pads?
They really aren't rusty at all, nor is anything connected to the master cylinder. And the pads look pretty well brand new. So could a failing master cylinder cause a pressure problem to only two wheels? And I'm only seeing air bubbles from that one caliper.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Most (all?) modern cars have a split braking system for redundancy, where there are effectively two pistons in the master cylinder, one for each 'circuit'. I believe that the Sol/Sky have a diagonal split brake system, in which case yes, a failing piston seal could cause low pressure on one diagonal, which seems to be what you are seeing.

However, others may know better on whether this is true.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to know and thank you for the quick responses. I guess I'll plan to grab a new master cylinder unless anyone has other thoughts on things I could try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts