Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light came on and won't go off. The dealer claims that it is a bad brake booster and wants $550.00 to replace it. I understand there as a recall for 08 brake boosters. My car was built in March of 07. Can I expect any help from GM with this.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
My 2008 Sky does not have the brake booster, but have been told the 2007 and 2009 have them. The new engine, 2009 that I bought has the little canister, but the 2008 does not. I would try to find the part on line and replace it yourself. It has a plug and connects with a tee into the vacuum system. Your car should have the part on it I think. It is under/behind the rubber intake elbow.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
My check engine light came on and won't go off. The dealer claims that it is a bad brake booster and wants $550.00 to replace it. I understand there as a recall for 08 brake boosters. My car was built in March of 07. Can I expect any help from GM with this.
Is the dealer talking about the actual brake booster behind the fluid reservoir or is he speaking of the small canister that that is located under the throttle body that skersfan is speaking of?

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
The brake booster is the can that sits over / around the brake pedal mechanism near the hydraulic reservoir. It accumulates vacuum and when you activate the brakes, supplies vacuum to boost the force applied.

The vacuum pump is mounted to the left side of the engine under the intake manifold. It is an electronic pump that creates vacuum inside the brake booster reservoir. They are two different and separate devices.

All cars have the brake booster. All BUT early 08 MY cars have the electronic vacuum pump. The early 08s had the electric vacuuum pump deleted and used the power provided by the ABS brake booster which is hydraulic and separate from the brake booster.

The issue with some early 08s without the electric vacuum pump was a result of some cars having their vacuum bleed off over time such that when you started the car you sensed a "no brake" condition because the pedal did not operate normally as a result of the use of the ABS booster until the vacuum built up enough to be useful with the normal brake booster.

The "recall" was actually a technhical service bulletin that said if a customer complains about no brake / low brake at start up, the first step to remediate the issue was to make a software change. The factory software start up condition is set to speed warming up the catalytic converter so it will reach trigger temperature and begin doing its job. The software change set different start up paramaters to optimize generation of vacuum in the brake booster, then warm up the cat. In many cars this was sufficient.

In a small number of cases, the software fix did not solve the problem to the satisfaction of the owner. In these very few cases there was a "kit" that retrofitted the electric vacuum pump to the early 08s that were built without them at the factory. This pump comes on at start and pulls vacuum very quickly so there is no perception of lack of braking.

There are a couple of threads on this and the Sky forum that discuss all the above including a copy of the bill of materials that made up the retrofit kit.

Hope this helps :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
I know that this comes as a shock, but I have a copy of the brake retrofit list. Let me suggest that this is NOT a cheap refit. 5 hours of labor plus a bunch of parts. Probably close to $1500 if you did it today

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts