Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have those fake caliper covers from MGP? If so, how do they attach since silicone is not used? Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i dont have them but i think they screw into the top of the caliper

left caliper, top screw
i think they all install this way

·
Registered
551 Posts
i dont have them but i think they screw into the top of the caliper

left caliper, top screw
i think they all install this way

I don't have them either, but I've looked into them. There is a stud in the cover that the silver bracket mounts to. The bracket slides between the caliper and the rotor and you just tighten the nut onto the stud.Nothing is screwed into the caliper.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I love the way they look... but I don't love the price! The cheapest that I've found them for is $179.99. Anyone find them for less??

·
Registered
167 Posts
that has to be the most ghetto thing i have seen on a car since spinning hubcaps.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
TO EACH THERE OWN... GEEZ! PEOPLE DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO POST WHAT THERE THINKING ON THE INTERNET.... ANYWHO. I have to ask UPSWEPT, why not just paint your own calipers?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TO EACH THERE OWN... GEEZ! PEOPLE DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO POST WHAT THERE THINKING ON THE INTERNET.... ANYWHO. I have to ask UPSWEPT, why not just paint your own calipers?
Why not, your ask? Because, throughout the years I've found out that once you paint something, you have to keep on painting it forever. Especially on a house!! I like no maintenance.

As for the covers, I don't like the way they look. They look just like a cover. There are no curves and indentations and bolt holes in the covers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Easy to paint just pop off the wheel, remove the caliper, tape and paint then repeat :thumbs:

·
Registered
523 Posts
None of those caliper covers will fit the Solstice. Go look at your front wheel and notice almost no clearance between the wheel and brake caliper.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Are they difficult to paint? Seems like a lot of work, but I could be wrong.
I just painted mine today and it was pretty simple. I used the Dupli-Color kit, $20 at PepBoys. I jacked up one side of the car, removed both wheels, cleaned one caliper with a wire brush and the included caliper cleaner, painted it, cleaned the other one, painted it, then put a 2nd coat on each. Waited an hour for them to dry and then did the other side.

Bob

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just painted mine today and it was pretty simple. I used the Dupli-Color kit, $20 at PepBoys. I jacked up one side of the car, removed both wheels, cleaned one caliper with a wire brush and the included caliper cleaner, painted it, cleaned the other one, painted it, then put a 2nd coat on each. Waited an hour for them to dry and then did the other side.

Bob
That doesn't sound too hard. I may just give it a shot when I have a few hours to spare. Thanks for the input. :yesnod:

·
Registered
406 Posts
i did mine white and they are still white and they have been since october, just clean brake dust and theyll last, and trust me i drive over 50 miles a day as this is my DD i am painting them yellow soon soo lets see how hard it is to paint over, just keep them clean like i do, clean them once a week minimum

·
Registered
300 Posts
I painted my calipers May, 2011 with the G2 kit. I did not use their brake cleaner, too many dangers, warnings, and cautions, got something more benign at Autozone. I spent about two hours per caliper with a wire brush in my drill and a toothbrush sized one to get them clean. Then about three more hours to mask and paint (two coats). It has been over a year and they look (after wiped off) just like the day I did them. Here are some pictures of my job:
Amazing Adventures of WanderingSol from Lafayette, Indiana

I am quite happy with the results.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I painted my calipers May, 2011 with the G2 kit. I did not use their brake cleaner, too many dangers, warnings, and cautions, got something more benign at Autozone. I spent about two hours per caliper with a wire brush in my drill and a toothbrush sized one to get them clean. Then about three more hours to mask and paint (two coats). It has been over a year and they look (after wiped off) just like the day I did them. Here are some pictures of my job:
Amazing Adventures of WanderingSol from Lafayette, Indiana

I am quite happy with the results.
That looks great! I'm definitely going to give it a shot. What exactly was the problem with the brake cleaner it came with? Too harsh??

·
Registered
221 Posts
Duplicolor makes a brush on caliper paint kit. About 20 bucks and you don't have to remove the caliper. Use their cleaner first and brush several coats on. I have not used it but I am considering it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts