Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about the location of the brake callipers. Ever since I painted mine I have been checking out callipers on other makes and models. As you know our callipers are mounted behind the front wheels and in front of the back wheels. I also have a Subaru and their callipers are mounted just the opposite, in front of the front wheels and behind the rear wheels. I have seen every combination there is on a variety of vehicles. My question is, why the difference, does it make any difference? Or is just at the whim of the manufacturer?

Just curious, Don

·
Registered
834 Posts
Front wheel caliper placement is primarily dictated by where the steering rack is. If the steering rack is in front of the center line of the axle, then the caliper will be in the rear, and vice versa.

On FWD cars, because of the transverse engine/drivetrain setup, there often isn't enough room to have the rack in front, so the rack goes behind, usually up against the firewall, so the calipers are usually up front. But on cars where the engine is shifted further back into the car, space is made for the rack in front of the engine, allowing for the slightly more ideal, back side mounting of the front caliper.

Beyond this, cooling becomes a factor. Typically rear facing calipers get better air circulation. Plus centering of mass of the heavy calipers will reduce polar moment of inertia. So the rears, which don't usually require as much cooling, will be moved to the front if packaging dictates for centering of mass.

So factors that are issue are, the steering rack, front or rear, centering of mass, and clearing other components.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carbon Sky. I thought there had to be some reason for the placement, just didn't know what.

Thanks again, Don

·
Registered
848 Posts
keep in mind as well that the rear caliper is also an ebrake for our Solstice. On the ebrake calipers I will be buying shortly for my other ride, the caliper must be mounted to the rear of the axle for it to function properly. Again a design factor.

Edit: and for the subaru comparison, our '11 Forrester has them at the rear of the wheel, front and rear axles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts