Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I decided to flush my wife's Gxp brake fluid this weekend using the power bleeder. It was pretty dirty and was sitting in storage for a few years so. Thought there may be some moisture in the fluid.

Anyway, following the power bleeder instructions all went well. Then when I got to the last wheel I noticed a lot of brake fluid leaking on the floor... And the power bleeder bottle was empty. I think I did hear a hiss of air.

I'm pretty sure something was leaking from the power bleeder system, most likely the cap that goes on the reservoir but I couldn't see anything.

It was pumped up to the recommended 15psi.

So, I released the pressure, filled the bottle and did the last wheel.

After a 1 hour test drive everything seems fine. In fact the clutch now engages correctly and the brakes have a good feel to them. No leaks at the time or the following day.

So what worries me is, while on the power bleeder did I blow a seal on the hydraulics or was it indeed the power bleeder system that was leaking.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use the power bleeder quite often on my track cars ( '09 CTS-V, '05 Z06) and my daughters Sol. If you don't have a level seal on the GM fluid reservoir, you will get a leak with an almost inaudible air leak. You are very unlikely to have any issues other than corrosive brake fluid in your engine compartment. Use a good engine cleaner in the area under the hood, and you will be fine.

For future reference - 10 lbs. will work just as well, only a little slower for bleeding, and you will have less chance of having a bad seal.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the power bleeder quite often on my track cars ( '09 CTS-V, '05 Z06) and my daughters Sol. If you don't have a level seal on the GM fluid reservoir, you will get a leak with an almost inaudible air leak. You are very unlikely to have any issues other than corrosive brake fluid in your engine compartment. Use a good engine cleaner in the area under the hood, and you will be fine.

For future reference - 10 lbs. will work just as well, only a little slower for bleeding, and you will have less chance of having a bad seal.
Thanks for info v. I cleaned it with liquid soap and a good soaking of water. I'll go over it again to make sure. Now that I think of it, the cap wasn't that level. Thought of getting a stock cap and placing a fitting in the center for next time.

Thanks, I'll use 10 psi next time.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts