Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2008 solstice with 2.0 engine w/turbo. I was reading about a lot of problems with braking when 1st starting the vehicle when cold. most comments talked about how dangerous the problem is. Is this a frequent problem still, or has it been rectified? I contacted pontiac recalls, but no help there!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Never had any issues with braking right after start up. Also haven’t heard anyone else talking about this either. You have my attention.

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
I am considering buying a 2008 solstice with 2.0 engine w/turbo. I was reading about a lot of problems with braking when 1st starting the vehicle when cold. most comments talked about how dangerous the problem is. Is this a frequent problem still, or has it been rectified? I contacted pontiac recalls, but no help there!
Never had any issues with braking right after start up. Also haven’t heard anyone else talking about this either. You have my attention.
The problem exists with some 2008s, mainly those with automatic transmissions.

If the car sits for a while (and the length of time needed can vary) the vacuum in the brake booster will leak down so that there is no assist immediately after startup. If you start the engine under certain conditions and immediately start moving you may have trouble stopping the car. Revving the engine slightly and letting it idle down will build vacuum, as will simply letting the engine speed drop from fast idle. Manual transmissions are thought to have less trouble because of a tendency with most drivers to rev the engine before engaging a gear.

Vacuum pumps were installed before and after and were available as a retrofit. I think there was also something about installing check valves to help retain the vacuum better in the booster.

A search of the forum will probably get you a lot of detail, some speculation and some complaints.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The problem exists with some 2008s, mainly those with automatic transmissions.

If the car sits for a while (and the length of time needed can vary) the vacuum in the brake booster will leak down so that there is no assist immediately after startup. If you start the engine under certain conditions and immediately start moving you may have trouble stopping the car. Revving the engine slightly and letting it idle down will build vacuum, as will simply letting the engine speed drop from fast idle. Manual transmissions are thought to have less trouble because of a tendency with most drivers to rev the engine before engaging a gear.

Vacuum pumps were installed before and after and were available as a retrofit. I think there was also something about installing check valves to help retain the vacuum better in the booster.

A search of the forum will probably get you a lot of detail, some speculation and some complaints.
John,you are correct.my 2008 sky redline turbo automatic needs to run for a bit to get brake boost.i just let it idle down then i am good to go.takes a minute or so.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
My 2008 was subject to the issue, but it had the TSB performed before I picked up the car from the dealer (a code update to the ECM that revs the engine a little bit when you start). I have NEVER experienced a problem.

Again as JR said, it only applied to the first couple of months of production of the 2008MY, anyway.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
My car was produced March of 2008. It's a manual and I have never had this issue. Of course as John stated, I have a tendency to blip the throttle a few times before moving.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Yes...my car is included. 8Y107. But ive never had an issue and the pump has never been added.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I have a '12 F150 with the turbo 6 in it I bought used and it has an electric pump to off-set this condition. It was subject to a recall that wasn't performed on my truck. The first time I fired it up just to nudge it forward in the garage I thought I was going through the wall!

Had the pump replaced under recall the next day.

After I cleaned off the driver's seat, of course. ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,344 Posts
When looking at an 08 car, check the brake booster. If the car is equipped with the electric vacuum pump there will be a fitting in the line to the brake booster that attaches to the vacuum pump. The pump is mounted to the side of the block on the left side, under the intake manifold. You can see it if you look carefully.

I have a 5 speed 08 without the vacuum pump. It can sit for long periods of time without starting and we have experienced the lack of vacuum several times. It has never caused us any issues. The ABS high pressure pump will provide braking even if you have zero vacuum so you always have brakes. The feel of the brakes in this condition is significantly different from the feel with vacuum but the functionality is just fine.

My experience is it can happen on any car without the vacuum pump under the "right" conditions.
And it is not an issue. Its easy to avoid by letting the car run for a couple of minutes on a cold start.

The software update modifies the initial start parameters. From the factory, the code was optimized to heat up the catalytic converter to cut down on emissions. This does not favor creating vacuum. The software tune update changes the initial start parameters to optimize creating vacuum, then goes into cat warm up settings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an ‘08 with 5 speed and only 26000 actual mile. I’ve never noticed anything like that, even after a long winter storage each year. Knock wood!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts