Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Are you going to spend $400 on Anti-lock Brakes?

• Yes, I am going to spend an extra $400 to get ABS.

Votes: 34 87.2%
  • No, I am not going to get ABS.

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
abs has saved me more than once!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I haven't decided yet. It's an option I would like, but it'll depend on how much the other accesories I want cost. I've got a self imposed budget, and I have to fit what I want and need in that range. If I can't meet that, I can't get it.

·
5,600 Posts
Why wouldn't you get ABS?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would like to save my money for other things. but unfortunately, i do the dear in headlights thing when my breaks lock up and can't think to pump the breaks myself. So only $400 will save me quite a bit in the long run i'm sure. Not having it now has cost me quite a bit in body damage repair costs.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree: Plus, on two occasions, on a Honda with no ABS, I've had to replace both front tires when they got flat spots in the tread after successful accident avoidance incidents (hence, no body damage). Buying two little 14" tires was bad enough, but having to replace two 18"ers would pay for the ABS option!...Although on the Honda, the horn was so wimpy, I got more impending emergency, immediate attention when I'd intentionally squeal the tires. :)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I am going to get the ABS. I live in a hilly neighborhood in NJ, and if there is a weather condition that exists, I will experience it sooner or later. My Grand Prix has ABS and it has saved me from sliding down a wet or slippery hill right past the stop sign on many an occasion.

My recommendation is to take a good look at your local driving conditions, and whether you think the ABS will be useful. Leather seats don't look as nice in a car thats wrapped around a telephone pole.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
jimbo said:
Why wouldn't you get ABS?
Some people prefer not to have it because it suits their driving style better. I have driven very few cars that have had it myself. Partially because I bought what was available and equipped as best I wanted in the price range I was shopping.

That said, the advantage to ABS is of course that it does not allow you to lock the brakes, which lets you steer around an obstacle while braking hard. However, it can be a negative on off road situations (not likely in a convertable of course) and also on snowy roads. In those situations, its often advantageous to lock the brakes.

Since this is a roadster and not likely to see much in the way of snow covered roads or the Moab trail, I think ABS is certainly worthwhile!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dengel said:
I am going to get the ABS. I live in a hilly neighborhood in NJ, and if there is a weather condition that exists, I will experience it sooner or later. My Grand Prix has ABS and it has saved me from sliding down a wet or slippery hill right past the stop sign on many an occasion.

My recommendation is to take a good look at your local driving conditions, and whether you think the ABS will be useful. Leather seats don't look as nice in a car thats wrapped around a telephone pole.
Welcome to the forum dengel! :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Every car I've owned so far has not had ABS on it anyways. I'm currently fairly used to driving without it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I HATE anti-lock brakes. Being from the same area as Formula88, they do not suit my driving style on snow.

Having said that, insurance companies offer a discount for ABS that will probably offset the additional cost. And since I am in the minority, I will order them as pre-requisite to resale.

·
Registered
753 Posts
a few times i have had the ABS kick in to modulate braking. on those occasions, i might have lost traction and who knows how it would have ended up. 98% of the time you won't know you have ABS, but when you need to slow or stop as soon as possible there is usually more than one thing happening, and it's reassuring to know that you can just slam the brakes hard and worry about the other stuff because at least your brakes won't lock up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My old WRX would stop quicker dragging the back tires using the parking brake in gravel than it would with using the pedal and ABS. I had a few good scares in gravel parking lots where I would hit the brakes and the car would just coast.

On the other hand, ABS on my '99 Malibu saved my butt just last week.

In my opinion, ABS should have a dash switch. By default it resets to on when you start the car, but is easily to disable. I got tired of pulling the fuse on the WRX everytime I wanted to play rally in the dirt.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
chenslee said:
My old WRX would stop quicker dragging the back tires using the parking brake in gravel than it would with using the pedal and ABS. I had a few good scares in gravel parking lots where I would hit the brakes and the car would just coast.

On the other hand, ABS on my '99 Malibu saved my butt just last week.

In my opinion, ABS should have a dash switch. By default it resets to on when you start the car, but is easily to disable. I got tired of pulling the fuse on the WRX everytime I wanted to play rally in the dirt.
If you get one of those control systems you can access your ECU via the ODBII port, some of those allow you to disable ABS on the fly.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I find ABS almost invaluable when running a C5 Corvette on a race track - much more consistency in braking and they have it tuned to be extremely effective.

Not so, for the rest of the control electronics (traction control and active handling, even in competitive mode). Won't let you stay on the "edge" before yanking you back into a stable (and many times slower) situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts