Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago my car was dead, charged battery and car was okay for an hour but then battery died again. I bought a new battery and a week later the car is dead again. The car has been sitting in the shop for a week and they do not know what is wrong?:cryin:

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
If it dies after driving, then check the altinator as tazz says. I've it dies while sitting still, then you have a drain or short in the electrics... need to insert an ammeter in series with the battery, pull all the fuses, and replace them one by one 'til you find the bad circuit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try another battery. I went through the same thing about a month ago, charged batterty, nothing, bought new battery-nothing.....dealer put another new battery in and no problem since then. NAPA even tried to tell me the $180 Optima they sold me was good and showed me it registered good on there battery testers, but it would not start the car even with a full charge. The GM dealer's tester showed it had a bad cell. NAPA tried to deny my money back but I told them why will a Delco start the car and theirs will not....they finally gave me my money back after a lame argument. Try another battery, if that does not do it its time to look for a drain or short.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
The obvious places to start would be that the new battery is bad (been there done that too...:brentil:) or the alternator. Typically, one of those will fix your type of problem. What I'm wondering about is that it has been at the shop for a week....surely they would have ruled those out by now.

It does sound like your about to embark on a short circuit search.....good luck. Hopefully it will be a fairly obvious one and you can get it back out there on the road soon.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Try another battery, if that does not do it its time to look for a drain or short.
Wouldn't it be easier to check for a drain or a short first?

Another (new) battery is expensive -- and a lot of work to change. You can hook up an ammeter for virtually free (well OK, you may have to spend ten bucks for a meter at Harbor Freight). If there is no leakage -- or you can prove the alternator is working -- then get another battery.

Just my :jm2c:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to check for a drain or a short first?

Another (new) battery is expensive -- and a lot of work to change. You can hook up an ammeter for virtually free (well OK, you may have to spend ten bucks for a meter at Harbor Freight). If there is no leakage -- or you can prove the alternator is working -- then get another battery.

Just my :jm2c:
Plus the added bonus of a new toy for the tool box!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Two weeks ago my car was dead, charged battery and car was okay for an hour but then battery died again. I bought a new battery and a week later the car is dead again. The car has been sitting in the shop for a week and they do not know what is wrong?:cryin:
I was checking in to see if you have any information at to what is causing your battery to malfunction?

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dead Battery

Well, I am also back at it....put the new battery in six weeks ago, everything ran fine and have had the car out on multiple occasions. In fact drove it on the 4th of July, went out yesterday morning and turned the key, click, no start, everything lights up, good power et....but no joy. Charged the battery and it read 12.9 volts, but no start. Going back to the GM dealership today to see what it is, can roll start it in my driveway as it has a slight downhill start, so at least do not need a tow truck. Hope its the battery because it should be under warranty from GM as it was just put in new six weeks ago, otherwise its probably something the shop will take hours/days:cuss::cryin: to try to figure out as nothing ever seems to be simple on this car. The bad thing is this car is factory condition, no mods or add ons, and ran fine for the last year and then developed this quirk (being polite).

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Well, I am also back at it....put the new battery in six weeks ago, everything ran fine and have had the car out on multiple occasions. In fact drove it on the 4th of July, went out yesterday morning and turned the key, click, no start, everything lights up, good power et....but no joy. [...]
After that many batteries, I'm pretty sure you have a different problem. Maybe an intermittent alternator, or intermittent ground connection somewhere, that's causing a failure in battery charging. Or (as said earlier) something causing a drain.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could the starter be bad? I know with tractors on my farm I sometimes have to hit the starter with a hammer and it works again because the starter was stuck.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Could the starter be bad? I know with tractors on my farm I sometimes have to hit the starter with a hammer and it works again because the starter was stuck.
Oh VERY good point. I've seen a couple of posts where folks have had starter-motor problems. At least one was a brush/contact issue where the starter wouldn't work if the armature was in a particular position.

Similarly, an intermittent starter relay could cause the same symptom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dead batteries and an engine light coming on

Did you ever get the problem fixed? After the second dead battery in 2 years in my "07 GXP with 12,000 miles and an engine light finally coming on, I had to have it towed to a GM dealership. Of course, after a diagnostic test, they said it was just 2 bad batteries from Advance Auto that I had a local garage install that did not have enough amps. I questioned that reply. The dealership put in a Delco battery, changed out the oil and filter and told me to drive it every week at least once (I was already doing that when the other batteries went dead and the engine lite came on). As I was driving off the car lot, the ole engine light came on again. I took the car right back, but since I did not get the car from them (I bought from a private owner) and it only has one more month of some kind of warranty, I doubt they will rush to find the cause. Any suggestions from anybody of what I should ask the dealership to check to speed along the process. I feel like something is causing the battery to drain, but since the diagnostic test showed nothing , they will probably focus more on the engine light than what is causing the constant dead batteries. Or could the draining battery have something to do with the engine light coming on? I have in the past checked the gas cap and cranked the car enough for that to have not been the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Did you ever get the problem fixed? After the second dead battery in 2 years in my "07 GXP with 12,000 miles and an engine light finally coming on, I had to have it towed to a GM dealership. Of course, after a diagnostic test, they said it was just 2 bad batteries from Advance Auto that I had a local garage install that did not have enough amps. I questioned that reply. The dealership put in a Delco battery, changed out the oil and filter and told me to drive it every week at least once (I was already doing that when the other batteries went dead and the engine lite came on). As I was driving off the car lot, the ole engine light came on again. I took the car right back, but since I did not get the car from them (I bought from a private owner) and it only has one more month of some kind of warranty, I doubt they will rush to find the cause. Any suggestions from anybody of what I should ask the dealership to check to speed along the process. I feel like something is causing the battery to drain, but since the diagnostic test showed nothing , they will probably focus more on the engine light than what is causing the constant dead batteries. Or could the draining battery have something to do with the engine light coming on? I have in the past checked the gas cap and cranked the car enough for that to have not been the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Could it be the alternator?

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are two leads on the battery one goes to the front of the
engine a ground wire at times we have found this lead loose
causing this .
LLLFLY

Very easy to check. Drivers side engine front
Your see the ground bolt and wires there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A multimeter is your best friend. With the engine idling check across both battery posts. If your alternator is working correctly, you should get between 13-15 volts. If you're not, the problem is not likely to be your battery.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I apologize for the inconvenience caused by the these issues. If you're still having concerns with the vehicle and/or dealership service, please send a PM. Please include the VIN#, your contact information, and situation. Thank you and I Hope this resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
609 Posts
Is there any aftermarket radio equipment installed like an amp to power a subwoofer?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Another problem is all modern vehicle have is parasitic battery drainage sub-systems. One way to negate parasitic battery lose is to is to install a battery quick disconnect terminal. Or always use a trickle charger if you don't plan on driving the vehicle during storage to combat parasitic battery drainage.

Quick Disconnect Terminal - Battery Care - Car Maintenance - Griot's Garage
Side Post Quick Disconnect - Battery Care - Car Maintenance - Griot's Garage
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/battery+manager+iv.do?sortby=ourPicks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts