Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In another thread, Brentil asked about break-in periods for new vehicles. My new hold-me-over didn;t come with any info, so let's see what all you car buffs have to contribute.

I certainly have great interest in this topic, and it WILL be meaningful to you all eventually :thumbs

RODEO

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I was mainly wondering if they gave you information on what you should do as far as doing a break in. We had a thread a while back where we talked about this some. It seems a lot of cars now adays don't even have break in procedures for them anymore.

I had refered to the Lotus Elise which has a fairly complicated break in period of varing the revs and staying below certain power bands prior to the first oil change. Then after that another process of time periods you should be in certain revs etc. But a Celica GTS owner posted that his car had absolutley no brake in procedures what-so-ever. Even though these two cars share the exact same engine.

Personally for a new car with a turbo I'd stay out of the main turbo spooling band for extended periods of time for atleast the first 500 miles. I would also suggest giving a decent cool down time with the engine running before shutting the car off to ensure oil flow for the turbo gives it time to cool down.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry if this is a duplicate thread!

you mentioned extended time in the turbo, what is extended time in your opinion?

I'm off to find that older thread!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
RODEO said:
sorry if this is a duplicate thread!

you mentioned extended time in the turbo, what is extended time in your opinion?

I'm off to find that older thread!
Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure. My friend owned a Eagle Talon TSi AWD and the manual gave him suggestions on periors of time to continue running the engine after use for cool down time. It's because most turbos pull their oil for coolant from the main system, and when you turn the car off the oil stops flowing. So you end up with two negatives.
  1. Oil gets heated up inside the turbo causing excessive break down
  2. Since the coolant isn't moving anymore the turbo stays hot
Who knows though. You're newer car might be designed to continue running the coolant system for a short period of time after actually being shut off. My experience is really only with older turbo systems.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure. My friend owned a Eagle Talon TSi AWD and the manual gave him suggestions on periors of time to continue running the engine after use for cool down time. It's because most turbos pull their oil for coolant from the main system, and when you turn the car off the oil stops flowing. So you end up with two negatives.
  1. Oil gets heated up inside the turbo causing excessive break down
  2. Since the coolant isn't moving anymore the turbo stays hot
Who knows though. You're newer car might be designed to continue running the coolant system for a short period of time after actually being shut off. My experience is really only with older turbo systems.
I believe the Subaru trubo motors are designed to keep coolant flowing through the turbo after the engine has been shut off to cool the oil and prevent it from breaking down and turning to sludge inside the turbo. I don't think this is a break in issue as much as just a general issue to prevent turbo failure over time. I do believe there is a break in period for the WRX, where your not supposed to get the revs too high for the first 1000 miles.

My Jeep came with a break in period too. I think it was also 1000 miles. I was supposed to not take it to redline (its a Jeep, why would I do that anyway :rolleyes) not drive at any constant speeds for too long, especially on highways, and to vary how quickly I accelerated at times through the breakin period. There was no special oil, or recommended early first oil change. Just the recommendations to watch my driving habits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts