Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My experience is a warning about keeping anything in your Solstice that you can't afford to have stolen. It is very easy to gain access to the inside of the car. While parking overnight on a surface lot in Milwaukee, some "dumbhead/s" broke the driver side roof attachment. The one right behind the window that slides up and down as you lower and raise the top. That gave them access to the door lock. They took my MP3 player which was useless without the custom charging cord and they rejected my CD collection.

Anyone have a similar experience?

JBWillows

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Learned early on with my first vehicle, a 1974 Jeep CJ5. Had a $20.00 cassette deck and a $19.00 "power amp" wired to a set of house speakers my mom bought for a buck at a yard sale. (And it actually sounded pretty good!) Back in those days a top of the line cassette tape (blank) went for about $10.00.

They took the amp, couldn't get the cassette deck out (3/8" screws into the sheet metal dash) and smashed the tape (probably the most valuable thing at the time) on the concrete. Still think it was high school "friends" that did it, but learned to not leave anything behind at all.

·
Registered
834 Posts
From my conversations with an insurance broker, and an actuary that works in insurance, this usually boils down to the area you live in. People are often amazed that car insurance in an upper class area is often just as bad as in a poor/rough area when it comes to theft like this, and the most important factor is density. When it comes to "professional" crime, they will obviously target rich areas dense or undense, and it is targetted, a particular make model of car for example and not, ooh, there's some change, or GPS in that car. And when it comes to this kind of petty crime, it usually has a lot to do with density. These metropolitan centers are a mix of rich and poor/homeless (particularly with substance abuse). When people move out of city centers, this kind of theft almost disappears. There will still be so-called professional theft, but theft of based on opportunity and poor/homeless almost does not exist.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Criminals have never been referred to as the 'smart' group. I had one car broke into. They got maybe $50 worth of CDs and a portable CD player. They did this by breaking a window in an UNLOCKED door. I never locked the car because it would never happen to me and didnt really care. I leave cars unlocked often to this day. As I type, I am at work with the Sol and my golf clubs are in the front seat, top is down....at least I hope they are still there.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If you don't want something just leave it out were a thief can see it and it will sooner or later be gone. A friend had his JUNK BOX stolen out of the back of his PU. Or put that old junk you don't want to take to the dump and put it by the curd with a For Sale sign on it, bingo it will be gone in the morning. Drove by my son's house a few years ago and he had left his storage area doors open under the car port. I could see his lawn mower so I stopped and closed the doors for him. I told him later and also that if he didn't want the lawn mower to leave the doors open. He didn't and a few days later he also didn't have a lawn mower. People never learn. They just make life to easy for thieves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned MG's Triumph's Austin Healey's and now a Solstice. I never keep any valubles in them and never lock them. Better that they just open the door rather than cut the top. I guess you do run into those that are to dumb to check the door first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not wishing to be the consumate smart ass, but I never considered any soft top to offer any protection. In fact I have heard it said if you don't lock the door, then there is nothing to be broken upon entrance. It is sad that one must look at society from that aspect, but life moves on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts