Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I snapped off the little nipple on my intake tube that looks like is the inlet for the PCV system. Can I just plug the intake tube and run breathers on the inlet and outlet for the PCV system? Does our ventilation system have a built in, or in-line, PCV valve? And where is the outlet vent for our PCV system? Just got this car and have not learned any of the ins and outs of the motor yet, Is this going to throw any emmisions codes? I've run breathers on many cars without any issues.

OR

Should I just get another OEM intake tube/air box piece?

OR

Should I just go ahead and get an aftermarket intake tube and which ones would you recommend? I'm completely stock, I think.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
Is this going to throw any emmisions codes? I've run breathers on many cars without any issues.
It shouldn't throw any codes.

Should I just get another OEM intake tube/air box piece?
The replacement piece is about $90 through a dealer.

Should I just go ahead and get an aftermarket intake tube and which ones would you recommend? I'm completely stock, I think.
Dejon makes a decent one, as does Werks, as does DDM, and there's always GMPP. Replacing that plastic nipple with a metal nipple is expensive, and that's about all you are doing with any of these pieces.

Of course, the plastic OEM part will likely break again.

:dunno:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do they keep the stock size MAF housing? I don't need a tune to run any of these?

And what about this Weapon-R intake?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
Do they keep the stock size MAF housing? I don't need a tune to run any of these?

And what about this Weapon-R intake?
I don't know anything about a Weapon-R?

You don't need a tune to run any of the one's I mentioned. All they are is noise makers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know anything about a Weapon-R?

You don't need a tune to run any of the one's I mentioned. All they are is noise makers.
Really? I can't believe that there are no gains to be had by freeing up the flow a little bit. Is the OEM intake that good or do the aftermarket ones just suck?

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
VERY common problem, you can just glue it back on, or follow some (maybe) more permanent fixes. Not worth replacing the intake unless you really want to do so for cosmetic reasons.

Here's some different fix-it methods:

Really? I can't believe that there are no gains to be had by freeing up the flow a little bit. Is the OEM intake that good or do the aftermarket ones just suck?
The OEM one is just that good. In fact many aftermarket ones actually screw with the ECM (due to poor airflow past the MAF).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I will just plug the hole and run a catch can to breather set up. Can our PVC valve be removed? I know on my Mustang I had to actually cut it out of the valve cover.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I'm thinking more along the lines of venting the crankcase to the atmosphere so the catch can would just be protection against any oil drippage from the breather filters.

This is my set up on my other car.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Check valve? In any case, mine's been detached from the intake, and a breather filter plugged into the end instead.

I didn't use one like 07Boss pictured because I used one like this:

Because it fit into the check valve perfectly. I sprayed mine matte black so you can hardly tell it's not supposed to be there.

Oh, and I get almost nothing coming out of there.

I have disconnected the other line at the turbo for ****s and giggles, and found some oil, but not a ridiculous amount. Seems I get more oil from the line to the turbo than I do the line to the intake, and in any case, never enough to make a noticeable difference in oil levels after a 10,000 km oil change.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Check valve? In any case, mine's been detached from the intake, and a breather filter plugged in

Oh, and I get almost nothing coming out of there.

I have disconnected the other line at the turbo for ****s and giggles, and found some oil, but not a ridiculous amount. Seems I get more oil from the line to the turbo than I do the line to the intake, and in any case, never enough to make a noticeable difference in oil levels after a 10,000 km oil change.
This is as would be expected. Read that post link again, the broken valve end is an INPUT to the engine - the air intake has an angle to help force air into it. The pipe down to the turbo is the outlet and even though the valve cover has baffles, you could get some oil coming out of it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
This is as would be expected. Read that post link again, the broken valve end is an INPUT to the engine - the air intake has an angle to help force air into it. The pipe down to the turbo is the outlet and even though the valve cover has baffles, you could get some oil coming out of it.
Input? Isn't there a PCV on that line on the other end? And if so, wouldn't it also be an output for pressure?

I check that lower line once or twice a year, whenever I do an oil change, and I've never found more than a few mm (maybe a teaspoon or so).

And out of the top line, nothing ever but a slightly brown film which I'm assuming is finely atomized oil that's been deposited by vapor/air.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Not sure why you have trouble believing this. If an engine can suck, say 400 cfm at red line, and the stock intake flows 500 cfm, what possible benefit do you think will come from installing a different intake that has a flow limit of 700 cfm, or for that matter 2000 cfm?

Whataver the engine can suck is the top limit. All an intake has to do is be able to supply that without any restriction. The GXP intake does that.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Input? Isn't there a PCV on that line on the other end? And if so, wouldn't it also be an output for pressure?

I check that lower line once or twice a year, whenever I do an oil change, and I've never found more than a few mm (maybe a teaspoon or so).

And out of the top line, nothing ever but a slightly brown film which I'm assuming is finely atomized oil that's been deposited by vapor/air.
Again, read the post that I linked to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure why you have trouble believing this. If an engine can suck, say 400 cfm at red line, and the stock intake flows 500 cfm, what possible benefit do you think will come from installing a different intake that has a flow limit of 700 cfm, or for that matter 2000 cfm?

Whataver the engine can suck is the top limit. All an intake has to do is be able to supply that without any restriction. The GXP intake does that.

Well that's why I was asking, Seems most cars have some restriction in the intake and exhaust from the factory. Anything that will help improve this flow should help the motor spool up a little easier and quicker and get you into the RPM's that make the power. So maybe it's not making more power but it has to improve in the engines response. There is a lot more too it than just flow capacity. Velocity and how smooth the air is flowing makes a big difference. But like it was said before, I don't know much about these particular cars and the intake may not be much of a restriction, but any improvement in flow should net you some kind of gains, maybe not in overall power but maybe in how the engine reacts. At least that has been my experience. Maybe the aftermarket intakes will not flow as well, but that is why we're all here, no?
Just trying to educate myself on this particular car. I've built a few cars in my years and have a pretty good understanding of automotive knowledge, just not a lot of experience with these little 4 bangers. So have patience with me.
I went ahead an bought a Dejon intake tube to replace the factory plastic one and factory air box. But i still think I'm just going to run the PCV lines up to a catch can/breather and then just vent it to the atmosphere. I have always been a believer that it is not good to run that blow by and stuff back into the motor.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Out of curiosity, is it against emissions in your areas to vent to atmosphere in these conditions where you guys are? I know for me it is, so I'll have to reconnect things back when I go for my first emissions test in 3 years or so (same with putting my stock cat back on for the test). Which is partially why when I do these types of things, I try to keep them as stealthy as possible, i.e. painting my breather filter black.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Out of curiosity, is it against emissions in your areas to vent to atmosphere in these conditions where you guys are? I know for me it is, so I'll have to reconnect things back when I go for my first emissions test in 3 years or so (same with putting my stock cat back on for the test). Which is partially why when I do these types of things, I try to keep them as stealthy as possible, i.e. painting my breather filter black.
I'm sure it is, but in Vegas nobody has ever looked under the hood of my car. They just hook into the OBD port and do their thing. I ran without cats on my Mustang for 4 yrs with an "emissions" tune and passed. This year I went with a different tuner who did not know how, or was not willing, to fool the computer. Had to weld in some cats and then buy a new O/R mid-pipe to reinstall after I got smogged.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I just read in another thread that the Dejom intake and filter does need a tune. Can I get another opinion on this? I currently have no way to data log or a wideband to monitor any changes. He post in the general discussion sub forum said that it would effect fuel trims by 5%-10%. Has anyone with this intake experienced lean conditions; any higher cylinder head temps, any detonation? If it does make it a little lean, won't the computer adjust for that or is it too big of a jump for it to compensate for?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
So I just read in another thread that the Dejom intake and filter does need a tune. Can I get another opinion on this? I currently have no way to data log or a wideband to monitor any changes. He post in the general discussion sub forum said that it would effect fuel trims by 5%-10%. Has anyone with this intake experienced lean conditions; any higher cylinder head temps, any detonation? If it does make it a little lean, won't the computer adjust for that or is it too big of a jump for it to compensate for?
I would suggest contacting DeJon directly:

E) [email protected]
T) 937.561.8661
DEJON | Powerhouse

I honestly don't know the answer to your question, I only have an NA with (now) stock intake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts