Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need to hear from those with broken passenger cup holders. I am starting to cad some replacement parts. I can CNC and 3D print. What I think is the major problem is the 3 plastic parts I have labelled in the attached photo. I need input from those that have broken ones as to what parts are broken on theirs. Please respond with the number of the parts you have that are broken or if it is one of the metal parts. If you are missing the entire thing, let me know that too.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
The issue is over travel of the mechanism allows the curved articulating arm to come out of the sliding slot. If you put the arm back into the cup holder and don't force it to over travel it works fine. The 09 cupholder design is updated to prevent over travel. I have modified cup holders to prevent the over travel and they work fine.

The second issue is when closing the mechanism tends to stick. If you pull slightly on the curved portion it will prevent the sticking and the cup holder will function as designed.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/cupholder-suckage-why-i-love-my-cupholder-new-discovery-74560/

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Solstice is an 09. The cup holder is intact, but I'm wondering how long it will last as it seems pretty weak for my big coffee cup.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 6 people that have contacted me so far with a broken plastic piece. Not just the issues mentioned by Rob in his very good write up. So I have moved forward with the most common part, the circular ring that goes around the cup. Pictures to follow.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have a broken cup holder with the forward circular part problem. I am very interested in getting this repaired/replaced.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Took my car in for the air bag sensor issue last week. All went well until I was driving to work a few days later and my Cupholder fell apart. It's broken at the pop out piece where the circular piece meets the slightly sturdier piece. Circular piece is fine, but it's mate is missing a chunk.no sign of it on the floor so I suspect the dealership banged it while re-installing the set and neglected to let me know. Looked fine until it didn't work and upon closer inspection. Anyway-need that piece if anyone has one

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just realized that my passenger side cup holder is also broken, missing part of the ring that holds the actual cup. Is there a fix for this? Is it easy t replace the cup holder? Appreciate any input. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I just realized that my passenger side cup holder is also broken, missing part of the ring that holds the actual cup. Is there a fix for this? Is it easy t replace the cup holder? Appreciate any input. Thank you.
It's easy, but expensive. Read the punisher index and Rob points you to the exchange procedure

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am still tweaking on my 3D printed design of this part. I will post up once I get it perfected.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
For all but the 09 model year, the forward cup holder is held in by tabs. You can insert a panel tool and work it out of the forward console. The 09 cup holder is retained by a single screw.

Last time looked the replacements were selling for about $125 on ebay

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have been busy lately and haven't came back around to finish this project yet. I am torn between continuing this path to print the perfect replacement or go with another idea I have that replaces the entire assembly. Considering that option for my CNC but not ready to share just yet.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
Welcome, Companyman!

Things have changed a bit in the 3 years since this thread was current - the front drink holders are no longer available unless you can find them as a part of a car being parted out.

Enjoy your visit!

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
There have been two sources for aftermarket cup holders.
>Santana Interiors sells them in aluminum for $150 (Brushed or Polished) or $180 (Anodized)
>Someone on one of the forums has offered 3D printed parts and assemblies, but I don't have their information easily at hand

·
Registered
335 Posts
I saw the 3d printed arms on flebay. the day after I saw them i thought I broke mine with my big arm when Iwas changing the pass side vent,but as luck has it, it was just out of joint...boy was I pissed...then happy!!! that was 2 days ago. I did figure out how it works and it helps if you pull that arm in a tad when closing so it go's on the right track not outside the tracks...right side of the tracks good, rong side of the track's bad.... funny thing I never thought about drink holder when i bought the car almost 1000 miles from home.( other end of florida) till I got on the road....then I was pissed!! who builds a car with no drink holders!!!! I wondered what that little door was...and it was stuck.... so I effed with it a bit..is it a cd storage device??? then open it came!!! holy cow a drink holder!!!!! so I got back in the car and started home again( I was stoped at wally world for some berrymans fuel cleaner) when I get in my right arm taped the rear drink holder and open it came.... dam this car is full of supprizes!!!then the CEL came on.....not the suprize I wanted.but I know now why and it's fixed and has oh somuch more power.( cleaned the VVT sily noids. and put the correct oil in it along with a oil filter that wasent all wadded up like the one that was in it...I think the moron put the filter in the engine then screwed the cap on...thus crap in the cam accuator silonoids and a big reduction in power) I should probably get one of those 3d printed arms just to keep on hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts