Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone's actually broken a CV shaft yet.

I'm curious if this one was a fluke, or if it's actually common with the V8 swaps. I know there's a couple upgrades available (600 and 1000hp) but are they actually needed for 400+hp or was this just an old part taking more abuse than it was meant to have.

The car is an '06 that I installed an LS376/480 with Werks' DIY kit. It's not my car, but I did the work (with help from friends, of course). The owner doesn't drop the clutch ever, pretty much always rolls on the power rather than hitting it hard outright. I'm just concerned whether we need to upgrade the CV shafts or if it was just random part failure. We also did the Quaife LSD upgrade, so the diff seems to be handling the power okay.

The shaft broke at the inner CV. Happened while shifting from second to third at around 3000rpm. Nothing crazy, but of course the damage was probably caused sometime before.

Also, anyone else completed a DIY kit from Werks? I'd be interested in sharing experiences.

Cheers,

Kris

[EDIT]
I should have added, it's running BFG KDW 275's on the back, so it's got pretty good hookup. Not exactly drag slicks, but better than stock.
[/EDIT]

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
When DDM did my conversion, they told me that the Rear axle shafts were good for around 400 HP but that driving on the street would probably never be a problem. We decided to stay stock for now and swap them out if there was a problem in the future. I will probably do it this winter.

·
Registered
750 Posts
When Hahn owned my car, they broke one at the drag strip with sticky drag radials and a pretty hard launch. Probably in the 440HP range. I have since owned the car for the last 4 years and still have a set of stock shafts and I'm pushing close to 550HP and nothing broken yet. But I also don't drag race the car. Only road course racing. Also it's a turbo 4 cylinder and not a V8.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts