Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got break in the ring on the fan blade, now a chunk missing since I've driven it a bit like that with rubbing against the shroud. Reading other threads on here it seems folks with the same issue have replaced the whole assembly. Has anyone figured out a cheaper way other than the $320 at GM Parts direct? The 2.4l fans can be had everywhere for $70, but I have no idea if the blade could be swapped over...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the radiator and fan out of my car (2.4) for my LS engine swap. I can measure it for you or I can send you the fan if you pay for shipping. If it works for your application, pay me the difference to make $70 total. If not, send it back. Up to you.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I actually have a fan blade that will fit it, if you don't take Heliosky77 up on his offer. One thing to keep in mind the 2.4 and 2.0 engines are different fan setups but the blades are the same. I will take $35 for it including shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All fixed, thanks Hoosier GXP for the blade. Swap took all of 30 minutes with a couple of long walks to the barn to get the right 10mm socket, another beer, etc. Barely let the car cool down. Remove the airbox (clamp, 1 screw accessed between the hood and front bumper with the hood up, and a couple of pop retainers. some wiggling to get it out), remove the 2 screws at holding the fan on (bottom just sets into a notch). Pop the plastic retainers holding the plastic air dam to the top of the fan. Just enough room to stick your hand with a 10mm socket and ratchet to take the nut off holding the fan blade on (reverse threads). Old blades out, new ones in, and good as new. Be sure to refill your beer in celebration.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
All fixed, thanks Hoosier GXP for the blade. Swap took all of 30 minutes with a couple of long walks to the barn to get the right 10mm socket, another beer, etc. Barely let the car cool down. Remove the airbox (clamp, 1 screw accessed between the hood and front bumper with the hood up, and a couple of pop retainers. some wiggling to get it out), remove the 2 screws at holding the fan on (bottom just sets into a notch). Pop the plastic retainers holding the plastic air dam to the top of the fan. Just enough room to stick your hand with a 10mm socket and ratchet to take the nut off holding the fan blade on (reverse threads). Old blades out, new ones in, and good as new. Be sure to refill your beer in celebration.
I just love a happy ending :yesnod: :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
What was the fan blade from that will fit a GXP fan unit? I have a cracked fan and in need of a new blade

Thanks
Did you not read the couple of posts in this thread?

It was a fan blade from a 2.4 Solstice (or Sky)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tomato soup, I ordered a replacement fan setup for a standard Solstice. The blade was not able to be installed on the exsisting GXP fan setup.
I did however remove the controller setup and the plug from the OLD GXP motor and reattached them to the new standard setup. It was a fix and worked well.
Thanks for the heads up anyway. I was able to solve the problem.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Tomato soup, I ordered a replacement fan setup for a standard Solstice. The blade was not able to be installed on the exsisting GXP fan setup.
I did however remove the controller setup and the plug from the OLD GXP motor and reattached them to the new standard setup. It was a fix and worked well.
Thanks for the heads up anyway. I was able to solve the problem.
Good to know and excellent workaround!

But it was HoosierGXP that said the fan blade would would fit. Interesting that it wouldn't for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts