Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My glove box latch has broken and the glove box is closed. How do I get it open to replace the latch?

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
My glove box latch has broken and the glove box is closed. How do I get it open to replace the latch?
My first reaction is: "You can't". Since several of the fasteners that hold it in are behind the door.

How is the latch broken? The solution might be to work at it from the front, and overcome the problem with the latch.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Just looked at mine. The actual latching part is just to the right of the keyhole and the latching mechanism and the visible part of the handle with the keyhole are all a single molded piece. The cylinder in the handle (which appears to be missing) just keeps the handle from being pulled out far enough to unlatch. Just guessing, but with the lock cylinder missing, the handle may be in a locked position. you might be able to get in there with a paper clip or something and pull the latch down or open the handle fully.

Inside the glove box lid are three screws which release the lock mechanism. The entire glove box is held in place and rotates open around two tabs, one on each side, which can be released by pressing inwards from the sides. If you can get to these from underneath, you may be able to drop the whole thing far enough to reach those screws on the inside. It will still be latched at the handle. It would probably require you getting on your back with your head under there to find those release tabs. Don't know if this will help but good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looked at mine. The actual latching part is just to the right of the keyhole and the latching mechanism and the visible part of the handle with the keyhole are all a single molded piece. The cylinder in the handle (which appears to be missing) just keeps the handle from being pulled out far enough to unlatch. Just guessing, but with the lock cylinder missing, the handle may be in a locked position. you might be able to get in there with a paper clip or something and pull the latch down or open the handle fully.

Inside the glove box lid are three screws which release the lock mechanism. The entire glove box is held in place and rotates open around two tabs, one on each side, which can be released by pressing inwards from the sides. If you can get to these from underneath, you may be able to drop the whole thing far enough to reach those screws on the inside. It will still be latched at the handle. It would probably require you getting on your back with your head under there to find those release tabs. Don't know if this will help but good luck.
thank you - this is really helpful. I managed to pull the lock cylinder out as I tried to see if it was locked and twisted the key around.

I’ll let you know what I find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts