Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spring that keeps the trunk open on my Solstice GXP has snapped clean off on the passenger side. Has this happened to anyone else? I had another car stolen and vandalized last weekend so it's possible that they tried to break into the Solstice too but as I see no signs of forced entry on the outside it's hard to believe that that is the case.

Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix... :-(

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to make things clear the passenger-side torsion-bar arm shown in this pic is broken on my car. The part broke off inside the trunk area about 4" from where it attaches to the arm connected to the trunk lid.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
The spring that keeps the trunk open on my Solstice GXP has snapped clean off on the passenger side. Has this happened to anyone else? I had another car stolen and vandalized last weekend so it's possible that they tried to break into the Solstice too but as I see no signs of forced entry on the outside it's hard to believe that that is the case.

Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix... :-(
They do fail. There are a few others who have had the same problem.

The replacement torsion bars are not expensive. I bought several spare sets and they were less than $20 for one bar. There is a left and a right. If it were me, I would change out both as the work is getting the bumper cover off.

I made a "tool" out of a piece of oak to release the torsion bars from their brackets. It is really easy once you see them.

See my thread for description and pics

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone tried to retrofit these with gas struts

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
There's a gas strut 'aid' available from Germany that some folks have, but it's nowhere near strong enough to raise the lid without the springs. There's not enough room there to fit strong (and large) enough struts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just installed a single Monroe 901221 gas strut on the drivers side, Compressed Length: 10.394"
Extended Length: 17.283, when I did the math I calculated it needed to be at least a 7" stroke, so any strut longer up to 23" should work. I used two right angle 10mm ball brackets. One end is attached to the lip of the trunk, the other to the bottom of the trunk lid. I attached the top bracket with the lid propped all the way open. I purchased two struts for 17 bucks and the brackets for 4 bucks. As it turned out, I didn't need the second strut, it works awesome. It clears the top when the top is folded and the trunk can be opened with one finger. This is so simple, I don't know why the factory would not have done it. There are a lot of vehicles that use struts that are a heck of a lot heavier so the strut solution is cheap and easy. FYI, since I located the bottom bracket as far as I could at the rear of the trunk lid, the strut is completely out of the way.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
As TS referenced the trunk lifter made in Germany, I installed it, as have several folks on the skyroadster forum.

This is the link to the skyroadster forum thread: Installing GT Manufaktur Gas spring for trunk lid - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

I had none of the issues some of the sky folks mention but did change the length of the mounting bolts so I could add a larger washer and lock washer...just belts and suspenders approach. I can send photos if anyone is interested.

My trunk rods did nothing. The gas strut assembly is of excellent design and quality. It installed without an issue. Here's the link: https://eshop.t-online.de/epages/Sho...715/Categories Open in Chrome, right click, and translate to English. It is simple. Nice stuff.

I suggest taking a look at the instructions. Dealing with Werner is excellent. Shipping takes less time to get from Germany to the US than plowing through the USBS of the USPS to get to the customer. Still, I felt all arrived in a timely manner, protectively shipped and arrived intact. I cannot say that about a lot of stuff I've ordered from US suppliers.

I ended up using the B-3 position for the strut and could have gone up to the C-4 for it to lift a bit quicker. As it is, it appears to be a power trunk. The folds in the buttresses are more of an impediment than anything else. Werner also has some other fine pieces for our cars. I'll be purchasing his jacking pucks and selling my stainless steel set. When you read the copy you will know why.

I'm interested in seeing photos of the Monroe strut install.

Some mods add, some are a pain, some a waste of time and money. I can say the GT Manufaktur piece is money and time well spent.

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Looks good Rob! I assume when trunk lid is closed the strut hugs the lid and doesn't hang down in the luggage area?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts