Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or seen it. The bubble in the armrest on the door? My driver's side has done it too, but its about half way down the arm rest, so I know its not stress related. How do I handle it, short of putting a hole in it to inject glue?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interested in this too. My '09 Coupe has this same issue on both sides. I am just letting it go for the moment but am thinking I need to find a good upholstery shop to take care of it.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Man, Ghost - you don't seem to have had much luck with the car you bought. Sorry to hear that.

I've seen a few (not many) reports of the same thing. Not easy to fix, you have to take the door apart cut/drill or pry the heat welds off for that inset section, and re-upholster. Might as well cover in real leather or Alcantara while you're at it. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had the same thing happen to mine on the passenger side. Just kept getting worse with each exposure to the sun, too. I just ended up buying a used door panel off ebay, was cheaper than reupholstering was, my guess.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's just minor little irratations. And I'm OCD TS when it comes to my cars... I'm a "conerned" owner, I'm not like most where they see a leak and might take it in 6 months later to have it checked out...LOL I have a rule of thumb for cars. It's not a major issue unless it leaves me stranded on the side of the road. If it does that, it's usually sold within a week. I've had 2 cars do that too me. And both were gone within a week. And one I loved!

Now as far as the bubble goes.... I know on the Mustang someone took a "shot" full of expoxy and injected it in the bubble. Only issue was the little hole it left. If I can get this fixed, my rockers painted (the last owner took the clear plastic off and the rockers are FULL of stone chips) and the driver's seat, I'll be happy. Apparently the last owner was also a rather LARGE fella and he bent the frame of the driver's seat all up. So he threw a 2x4 in there to give him support... I didn't know it until they replaced the cushion.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found them on gmpartsdirect.com - #25824352 - $178.93

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
That's certainly not cheap, but if it were mine I'd be inclined to just replace them.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
HMM, Now I wonder if mine has them. I don't put my elbows there and I'll let any passengers know not to do it. I know door panels aren't cheap cause I locked the cat in the wifes car and it tried to get out thru the door panels. we only had the car for a month and it's like $700 for new ones. I bought a vinyl repair kit but haven't tried to do it yet. as for a fix for the dents. I'm not sure epoxy would work. I'd try some spray foam but fill up a syringe and shoot it in there with a 21ga needle. it expands so you would have to be careful.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That's a good price. depending on how long you plan on keeping your solstice, this would not be a bid thing to have and keep in the closet. The pair for the C3 vette were about 750 and just about every one I've seen either had new door panels or needed them. sure they are 40 years old but the shelf life is a lot less.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm going to go the epoxy or superglue route first. I have a buddy that is a diabetic, and he's done this same thing one of his cars. He said to bring it over and he would use a syringe to inject it in the bubbles on both sides and work it around. I do plan on keeping the car for a long time. I will be getting another daily driver soon. I'm thinking Volt or new Fusion with the eccoboost. I actually had my Mustang for 5 years and only put 6500 miles on it. So I know I can do it! LOL....

·
Registered
731 Posts
I bought new ones on eBay from source1. Plus I used sky panels instead of solstice panels. They look much better.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had the corner of a fairly heavy box resting against my passenger side door panel. It left a slight indentation after removing the box and a few days later - a bubble formed.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought mine with the bubbles. I don't put my arm anywhere near them when I'm in the car.... :(

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
If you guys are going to use the door as an arm rest I would suggest buying the leather covered cushion add on that JPM Coachworks sells. It goes right on top of your "bubble" and will solve your problem with out needing to use epoxy or superglue. I did not see them listed recently but they do still make them upon request.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have bubbles in both doors. I'm just going to shoot up the arm with some glue. Tiny hole, huge fix.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts