Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I have the car since 9/10, today was the first chance I have had to do what I would call real driving. For the past 6 weeks, I have just been on short hops in the neighborhood. Today I was driving on a twisting road with speed varying between 25 and 45 mph (limit 30 mph). Several times, when I would back off the throttle going into a curve that did not appear to need a downshift, the car would buck like the fuel was being cut off from the engine. I was the same kind of bucking that you might get when you first learn to drive a stick and let the clutch out too fast, although there was no clutch action involved. I have not experienced the clunking sound that others have, nor have I had any problems shifting into 2nd (or any other) gear, upshift or downshift. I have driven many manual transmission cars and never have experienced bucking when backing off the throttle. I don't believe that the fuel is to be cut off completely when backing off. Has anyone else exxperienced this problem, or should I have the car looked at by the dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
That is a new one to me. So this happens when you are letting the engine pull the speed of the car down?

Also how many miles does your boy have on him?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Pure Law said:
What gear are you in when baking off the throttle? What RPM? At those speeds, I assume you need to be in 1st or 2nd.
Yeah what Pure Law said. If you're letting off the throttle too quickly with the RPMs up in a low gear like first or second the car will buck some. All manual i4 cars I've owned do that in low gear. You can get it in higher gears too depending on your RPMs and how quickly you let off the gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I had a similar thing occur in my Eclipse, it turned out to be a plug to the air box had come loose. But, the car also threw a check engine light. You might want to spend a couple of minutes under the hood making sure everything is nice and tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pure Law said:
What gear are you in when baking off the throttle? What RPM? At those speeds, I assume you need to be in 1st or 2nd.
It happens in second and third gears with the RPM between 3K & 4K. I was doing 45 in 3rd gear and when I backed off entering a curve that didn't need a down shift, the car stated bucking. I downshifted and picked up the RPMs and all was fine. It also happened in second gear at about 30 MPH. I didn't downshift to first, but as soon as I got back on the throttle, all was fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
944 Posts
I've never heard of this either.

I would take it to the dealer.

I wonder if it has something to do with the variable valve timing. Doesn't it adjust between 3k-4k?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
silversolstice said:
I've never heard of this either.

I would take it to the dealer.

I wonder if it has something to do with the variable valve timing. Doesn't it adjust between 3k-4k?
The VVT for this engine I believe is across the entire RPM range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
silversolstice said:
I wonder if it has something to do with the variable valve timing. Doesn't it adjust between 3k-4k?
There is definitely some adjusting going on in the 3k-3.5 range per my dyno.

Finally a problem my car doesn't have :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
rkgsx said:
I had a similar thing occur in my Eclipse, it turned out to be a plug to the air box had come loose. But, the car also threw a check engine light. You might want to spend a couple of minutes under the hood making sure everything is nice and tight.
I agree with you. If you can eliminate driveline as a source, my guess would be a problem with the MAF sensor. Or is it a MAP sensor on the Ecotec? Anyway, check that there is enough slack in the harness. I've had it happen from too much tension on the connector as well as the wires getting dirty. It didn't always throw a CEL though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
susies_boy said:
Even though I have the car since 9/10, today was the first chance I have had to do what I would call real driving. For the past 6 weeks, I have just been on short hops in the neighborhood. Today I was driving on a twisting road with speed varying between 25 and 45 mph (limit 30 mph). Several times, when I would back off the throttle going into a curve that did not appear to need a downshift, the car would buck like the fuel was being cut off from the engine. I was the same kind of bucking that you might get when you first learn to drive a stick and let the clutch out too fast, although there was no clutch action involved. I have not experienced the clunking sound that others have, nor have I had any problems shifting into 2nd (or any other) gear, upshift or downshift. I have driven many manual transmission cars and never have experienced bucking when backing off the throttle. I don't believe that the fuel is to be cut off completely when backing off. Has anyone else exxperienced this problem, or should I have the car looked at by the dealer?
Sounds like a air metering issue. I would say dirty part but its brand new, must be defective metering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
susies_boy said:
but as soon as I got back on the throttle, all was fine.
Maybe your car is trying to tell you something. It's thinking "Come on, now ... I've got all this rubber on some fat 18's for a reason. I want to go FAST through the turns ... give me some gas." :lol:
 

·
Dragon Rider
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
SlySol said:
Maybe your car is trying to tell you something. It's thinking "Come on, now ... I've got all this rubber on some fat 18's for a reason. I want to go FAST through the turns ... give me some gas." :lol:
"Feed Me, Seymour, FEED ME!!!!" :lol:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top