Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a pic of me using my dual action cyclo buffer. It is the most effective machine I own. The movement allows it to remove swirls and other imperfections without running the risk of introducing more problems to the finish. It is my go to machine whenever I need to level out the paint. Gary Perfect Auto Finish

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like the Porter cable DA buffer

Question...

How thick is the Clearcoat??

Meaning,
I know you can burn the clearcoat ( and paint ) off the car if your not very careful, but
Normally, will buffing the car eventually remove the clearcoat???

and if so, can a car be re-clearcoated???

( I have a 98 New beetle, which this question is for, not the solstice)

thanks
Frank

·
Registered
854 Posts
turbomangt said:
here is a pic of me using my dual action cyclo buffer. It is the most effective machine I own. The movement allows it to remove swirls and other imperfections without running the risk of introducing more problems to the finish. It is my go to machine whenever I need to level out the paint. Gary Perfect Auto Finish
Better than a Porter Cable?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clear coat is appx 3-4 mils thick or the thickness of a piece of paper. To many detail shops reach for the high speed buffer first which is like using a chain saw on your car if you don't know how to use it. Yes you can burn through the clear, but you should always use the approach "less is best" rather than lets use a high speed and some compound as your first choice. YOu can always go up a notch, but once you go to aggressive, its too late. The cyclo is a different machine than the DAPC. The DAPC is good for application of polishes/waxes/sealants, but serves no purpose in serious paint correcting. The cyclo has a much heavier duty motor so you can apply pressure without the motor bogging down, like the PC would. So unlike the PC it can remove swirls and other defects. It also has the same movement as the PC which is DA, so it is sensative to the finish. Gary

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the GREAT info....

I have the triple black sol...
and there are some very slight swirl marks on her...

The car was buffed out slightly when I had the 3m Clearbra installed.

She looked Real FINE!!!
but since then,
some pesky swirls showed up....

What product would you recommend ( by hand )
to remove slight swirls...

I may get the Porter cable and Practice on the Company Fleet Vehicle I drive...
;) ;) ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts