Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Industry/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_Jul_20_2005.S173.A8942.html

WJR Auto Report: Pontiac 's Slide

It's trivia time: so can you name the only General Motors division that actually posted a sales decline during the automaker's June blow-out? As TheCarConnection reports in its Daily Edition, the big loser was Pontiac. So far this year, the division's sales are down sixteen percent, and there's likely to be no short-term fix, despite the expanding line-up of new G6 models, and the launch of the all-new Solstice roadster. If anything, Pontiac is losing product. The aging Bonneville will soon be dropped, along with the Sunfire and the disastrous Aztek, one of the most reviled cars on the road. There is, however, an all-new small car in the development stage for 2007, something dealers were desperate to get their hands on. It's been a long time since Pontiac could brag that it built excitement. If anything, the brand is struggling for survival. As part of a shake-up at GM, Pontiac will effectively be merged with two other divisions, GMC and Buick.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Solace said:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Industry/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_Jul_20_2005.S173.A8942.html

WJR Auto Report: Pontiac 's Slide

It's trivia time: so can you name the only General Motors division that actually posted a sales decline during the automaker's June blow-out? As TheCarConnection reports in its Daily Edition, the big loser was Pontiac. So far this year, the division's sales are down sixteen percent, and there's likely to be no short-term fix, despite the expanding line-up of new G6 models, and the launch of the all-new Solstice roadster. If anything, Pontiac is losing product. The aging Bonneville will soon be dropped, along with the Sunfire and the disastrous Aztek, one of the most reviled cars on the road. There is, however, an all-new small car in the development stage for 2007, something dealers were desperate to get their hands on. It's been a long time since Pontiac could brag that it built excitement. If anything, the brand is struggling for survival. As part of a shake-up at GM, Pontiac will effectively be merged with two other divisions, GMC and Buick.
Really, that's old news, and there were reasons why they didn't do well that month. Saales were up 8.8% in July as compared to 2004. I think one needs to look at the bigger picture with Pontiac, the fact that the G6 has been well received I think Pontiac is in the beginnings of a revival. Someone should tell Aztek owners that their vehicles are reviled. The only vehicles I revile are the Element and the Scion. Ugly and boring boxes.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Merging brands and killing models is old news. What segment of the market does Chevy not address? I thought so, only the segment the Solstice is in. The eventuality is that other than the Cadillac, Hummer, Saab divisions GM will coalesce into two major divisions, Chevy, and everything else. Look at Ford, 3 major lines - Ford, Mercury, Lincoln. For GM it would be Chevy, B-P-G, and Caddy. Saturn could join the fold or lead the outlanders.

·
5,641 Posts
"Really, that's old news,..."

Actually it is old, incorrect, trash slander.

Here is the real trivia question: Which GM Division's June 2005 sales where up 14% over their June 2004 sales to actual real buyers with less cars to sell?

Hint: Starts with a "P".

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Small Dealer said:
"Really, that's old news,..."

Actually it is old, incorrect, trash slander.

Here is the real trivia question: Which GM Division's June 2005 sales where up 14% over their June 2004 sales to actual real buyers with less cars to sell?

Hint: Starts with a "P".

Oh wait, I know this one! :willy:

:lol:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah, Pontiac is on the way out. All of you should run to your dealers and cancel your Solstice order. DO it tomorrow. DO it now. Please, please,please.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Since Pontiac and Buikc dealerships are pretty much merging into one giant congolmerant with GMC it wouldn't make much sense to have anotehr kappa under the Buick lineup. UNLESS they're planning on mkaing a fairly upscale version, much more upscale then the Sky to fit in that classification. However I think the Velite would more then likely have been a better fit here since Buick is more about 4 door sedans really then 2 door 2 seat Roadsters.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Can anyone say Reatta?

·
Registered
229 Posts
MAKsys said:
Can anyone say Reatta?
actually, I believe it is the bengal that they are talking about. GM had the concept car a few years ago. It is a 2+2 roadster, but it is bigger than the Solstice. They almost produced it, and then I believe Lutz decided to cancel it in favor of the Solstice/Sky. I read something several months ago that Lutz was considering approving the Bengal because of the Solstice/Sky.

Here is an old story about it.
http://www.automotive-technology.com/projects/buick_bengal/

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Thank GOD too, cause that thing looks like doo-doo compared to our Solstice!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Come on, guys, let's not read too much into what's posted above.

Pontiacs aren't going to be renamed as Buicks. A Kappa-based Buick is not on its way any time soon. All we have here are some recycled rumors that GM is trying to consolidate Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealers and is reducing the overall number of vehicles offered by each brand. Yawn.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"While GM as a whole saw a significant jump in sales and market share during the month of June due to the public availability of the company’s employee pricing plan, one of its brands was unable to capitalize on the promotion. Pontiac sales actually fell 14.1%. The official word is that sales were down because Pontiac fleet sales were halted, but dealers on the front line tell another story and blame poor marketing (remember the Oprah/G6 debacle?) and a lack of fresh product for Pontiac being the “toughest sale on earth”. Pontiac plans to trim the fat and discontinue the Bonneville, Sunfire and Aztek, while introducing the much-too-long-awaited Solstice and Torrent “sport wagon”, which is really just a rebadged Equinox. TCC also reports that the void left by the Sunfire will be filled by a spin-off the Chevy Cobalt, probably much like the Pursuit (shown) already sold in Canada. We expect the Solstice to inject some much needed fresh blood, but any boost to the brand’s image could be a wash thanks to the pair of rebranded Chevys." http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000457051170/

Hey...I'm buying the car, not the label. ChevySol, TuckerSol, NashSol, don't matter to me. I don't care about no stinkin' badges.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts