Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little off topic but some mention of kappa. The Velite concept seems to be off the Zeta platform and on to another "unspecified" platform. Think they could shrink it to kappa size???

Buick Velite Project Still Active

When General Motors' advanced styling director, Anne Asensio, referred to "three" new roadsters under development during an appearance at the Toronto Auto Show, it left TCC's correspondent confused. There's the Pontiac Solstice, of course, and the recently announced Saturn Sky, but the third? "We have a lot of activity around putting the (Buick) Velite into production," Asensio revealed, referring to the snazzy little show car unveiled in New York in April 2004. Designed at GM's Advanced Studio in Warren, Michigan, and assembled by the Italian coachbuilder Bertone, the Velite prototype was a four-seat convertible based on GM's new Zeta rear-drive architecture. But there've been a number of changes since the New York unveiling, according to Asensio. If the Velite goes into production, "It will be on a modified (and unspecified) platform, but not the Zeta." As with Solstice, the Buick project faces a mix of technical and financial hurdles, all summed up in the words, "business case." If one can be made, Asensio said she expects a decision "has to come soon. The more you wait, the less relevant" the project would be in a fast-changing market. - Paul A. Eisenstein
Link:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=156,175&sid=175&article=8191

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Doubt it, but who really knows?

I'm sure that Holden is trying desperately to make sure their torana concept doesn't completely die - it's hunting for a platform too. Supposedly it couldn't be done on a zeta, and its not a Kappa, but it's similar to 'vette/Kappa architecture.

Maybe they're going along the lines of what brought about Kappa - try to do it "junkyard wars" style, find out you can't ('cause you don't have a platform that fits the wheelbase capabilities), then create a new one.

They already know how to make a new platform very quickly. Who's to say they couldn't do it again?

Omicron, anyone?:D

GM's new 2+2 convertible/luxury/extreme sport hatch RWD platform. 110ish inch wheelbase, 3500 lbs..., hi-power V-6, I could see it.

I don't really see them stretching a Kappa right away.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
My guess. The third roadster is the Opel export Kappa. We know its been approved and will happen, and its supposed to be its own car and not just a Sky.

As for the Velite. If GM wanted to do it on a platform other than Zeta, they could always use the Epsilon platform since they already have it configured for 4 seat convertables (G6 and Saab 9-3). It could have the aproximate 110 inch wheelbase that SM mentioned, and it looks like GM is ready to use the high feature DOHC V6 in the car, based on the Aura concept.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts