Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So, do we install the stock headlamps back in, or should we go with the blacked out coupe versions? With the black wheels and now black a-pillar, I think blacked out lamps have to be added.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Blacked out headlights, do it yourself with some Easy-Off. There's a write-up somewhere on here that I used.

I did that with a WRX I used to have. Worked pretty well and was definitely cheaper than buying new ones. Great looking car BTW.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
New headlamps in, hood trim piece secured down and vented cowl installed. Still waiting on some decent weather to test the new cooling system upgrades.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Gurney flap install complete. Dave had this piece custom CNC`d and I think it turned out killer.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Sounds like the new cooling system mods are doing their job. Dave was able to take the car out for a long drive yesterday and the coolant temp never got above 195. He has one last bug to fix with the new trans and then to the dyno for final tuning.

Random shop pics;

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Trans torque signal issue is resolved. One step left....final dyno tuning.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Awesome, can't wait to see some of your Dyno numbers!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Finally got to do a little testing and tuning. Had the chance to make three passes at Byron Dragway and the driveline modifications Dave made couldn't have worked better. Car launched straight as an arrow. On this pass I cut a 1.6 60ft and with some suspension tuning we should be able to improve that. We literally got within a couple 10ths of my goal with only a few runs. Got a couple of bugs to work out still but Im very happy with what we accomplished so far. Once we have it fully sorted I`ll post some numbers.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
One of the major issues we have had with this build is the cooling system. Before the SC install the cooling system was perfectly adequate. After, well, it needed some upgrades. Dave went through a couple versions of fans and ducting before landing on what we have here. Dual fans, custom shrouding, Meziere electric pump and a few other not so obvious improvements. Im told initial road testing has it working pretty well. We`ll know for sure next week when Dave can put some miles on it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Looks really good, but one addition that I have learned is that there should be flaps in the shroud. These will open once you're moving and allow more airflow through the radiator core, at lower speeds the radiator fans will suck them shut. Fans are only effective at low speeds. Something to consider if there are issues still.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Update on were we are today; the new cooling fan and water pump set up are working well. Dave is having the tuning software converted from LS1 Edit to HP Tuners. The techs are having difficulty with a couple tables and that has led to some delays. Knowing the capabilities of HP Tuners over LS1 Edit the wait will be worth it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Shawn: Been down that piece of pavement a few times. Byron is my home track. I'm running a cammed G8 in the lower 12s. My sons mild cam stroker G8 runs 11.5s and we have 1000 lbs on the Solstice and are NA. I figured with 1000 lbs advantage and a blower running meth you should be able to get low 10s out of it. HP Tuners is the way to go. Would like to get over and see this thing some time. PM me.
P.S. That is one low profile blower. See why you didn't go with an LSA even though you could probably get more out of it with an LSA.

·
Registered
150 Posts
...Dave is having the tuning software converted from LS1 Edit to HP Tuners...
I am curious why more V8 swap people don't do this in the first place. From my research on the forums about the V8 swap it seems the two most common problems are proper cooling and trying to get the engine to run right having to use LS1(2) edit.

What is the process of converting to HP Tuners?

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Shawn: Been down that piece of pavement a few times. Byron is my home track. I'm running a cammed G8 in the lower 12s. My sons mild cam stroker G8 runs 11.5s and we have 1000 lbs on the Solstice and are NA. I figured with 1000 lbs advantage and a blower running meth you should be able to get low 10s out of it. HP Tuners is the way to go. Would like to get over and see this thing some time. PM me.
P.S. That is one low profile blower. See why you didn't go with an LSA even though you could probably get more out of it with an LSA.
Low 10s are the goal. That was my first time at Byron,I really enjoyed it, and we got a bunch of good data. Great track prep and the right amount of scrutiny regarding safety equipment. Once everything is sorted out I plan on heading back. I`ll let you know and we can meet up. I`d love to see your G8s.

The main reason I went with the Edelbrock was how low it sits. I was hoping it would fit under my Norms hood without having to modify it. Well, that didnt quite work out as planned. If I had known we were going to cut a hole in the hood from the beginning I would have gone with a different blower.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
I am curious why more V8 swap people don't do this in the first place. From my research on the forums about the V8 swap it seems the two most common problems are proper cooling and trying to get the engine to run right having to use LS1(2) edit.

What is the process of converting to HP Tuners?
All the conversion tunes done up to a couple of years ago were ls1edit based. Ken was the only person who had the knowledge and spent the time figuring out how to make the LS ECM work with the Kappa ECM and BCM. Mallet, Wade, DDM and Werks all reused that basic tune

The tune works fine. I do not want to be a tuner, I want to drive the car. The question is why would I convert to a new tuning system I would have to learn or pay for someone else to learn and that would come with new problems of its own

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Rob is correct, for a basic tune LS Edit is fine. Im not a tuner either but for my application the extra tables provided by HP Tuners will be an advantage to the guy that is tuning it. The added expense of converting to HP Tuners just isnt worth it when you primary concern is getting to and from Sonic for milkshakes reliably. Nothing wrong with having a cruiser or show car. I just have different goals in mind.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well opinions about what tuning software to run aside, I am still interested in learning about the process to convert the car to work with HP Tuners. Is it still the factory ECU or is it a entirely new ECU that is compatible with HPT?

61 - 80 of 130 Posts