Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Well opinions about what tuning software to run aside, I am still interested in learning about the process to convert the car to work with HP Tuners. Is it still the factory ECU or is it a entirely new ECU that is compatible with HPT?
As I understand it Dave is working directly with HP Tuners to convert the factory ECU. As far as how they are doing that, I cant be of much help. That is outside my area of expertise. Dave at Werks has always been good about responding to any questions. Hit him up or give HP Tuners a call.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tuning Solstice ECM with HP Tuners

As I understand it Dave is working directly with HP Tuners to convert the factory ECU. As far as how they are doing that, I cant be of much help. That is outside my area of expertise. Dave at Werks has always been good about responding to any questions. Hit him up or give HP Tuners a call.
I've been in contact with Dave at Werk's about getting an HPTuners tune for my wite's GXP. I already use HPT for tuning my G8 and have extra credits for another VIN so for me going with another tuning platform would be wasted money. Dave said I could dump and send him my stock tune and he has canned parameters/tables to modify the tune for a stock GXP. He highly recommended I convert over to the 3 bar map sensors because he can get quite a bit more torque and some additional HP out of the tune using those sensors. So there is not a compatibility issue between our ECM and HPT.

The problem Shawn is having has do with getting our ECM to function with the LS series engine controls and sensors. You are talking about an ECM designed to run a 4 cylinder car and using it to control a V8. HPT is tough enough to understand using it to adjust the ECM parameters of the same engine and trans that came with the car. I cannot imagine the complexities of getting it to work with a totally different engine and trans in the car. Then throw a blower into the mix. I'm telling you Dave has his work cut out for him. To tell the truth i think it would have been easier to buy a new ECM/harness with the engine.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Got the final dyno chart from Dave. When the car rolled into the shop it had dyno`d 430whp on the shops Mustang Dyno. Now its at 587whp 592tq. Not too shabby. Time to get it to the track for some more testing.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Awesome, can't wait to hear your results!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Time to get it to the track for some more testing.
Crazy times with my son getting married in two weeks but please let me know when you plan to hit Byron. I would love to try to meet up with you and make a few passes.

P.S. You are going to need some serious tires to hook up.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Crazy times with my son getting married in two weeks but please let me know when you plan to hit Byron. I would love to try to meet up with you and make a few passes.

P.S. You are going to need some serious tires to hook up.
As long as the weather cooperates I plan on meeting Dave there on the 12th of next month. Hopefully your schedule is open.

The ET Streets Im using worked really well the last time we were there. They dead hooked and the car just went. We were pretty consistent at 1.6 60ft. and that was with our initial suspension settings and tire pressures. With some adjustments we might be able to shave a couple 10ths off of that.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Got the final dyno chart from Dave. When the car rolled into the shop it had dyno`d 430whp on the shops Mustang Dyno. Now its at 587whp 592tq. Not too shabby. Time to get it to the track for some more testing.
Sounds impressive, good luck on your runs. Shame about all your photos being blocked by Photophu--it. I'm in the same boat, been using Imgur.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As long as the weather cooperates I plan on meeting Dave there on the 12th of next month. Hopefully your schedule is open.

The ET Streets Im using worked really well the last time we were there. They dead hooked and the car just went. We were pretty consistent at 1.6 60ft. and that was with our initial suspension settings and tire pressures. With some adjustments we might be able to shave a couple 10ths off of that.
Figures, the day before my sons wedding. Let me know if it slips out. Unbelievable you are hooking that well, but now that I think about it, the lighter weight sure helps.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Is the HP Tuners up and running, bug-free?
Nope. Ended up going back to LS Edit. It just wasnt working and it sounds like the techs at HP Tuners werent much help after a certain point. The car is running great now so I`ll just chalk it up to one more thing we tried on this build that didnt work out.

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Idle vid. Im very happy with the BTR Stage 2 blower cam Dave installed. Very streetable and makes good power. I have a Katech Torquer LS3 cam for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Made it back out to Byron this weekend. This time the real safety inspector showed up. I was told I couldnt run faster than 11.5 without a 5 point harness. So, thats what we did, ran 11.5. Next time we show up I will have the proper restraints and we will be good down to 10.0. There is still a lot more in this car, 3rd time is the charm, right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes, I don't think I have ever had them ask me to open the hood. But ever since they had that accident out there earlier this summer I hear they have really cracked down. A friend of mine was putting on Fastest LS in the Midwest event and it ending up getting cancelled after the accident due to a huge insurance cost increase at the last minute. Let me know when you think you will be getting back out there.

P.S My sons wedding was wonderful and seeing family we haven't seen in a long time was great also. Hopefully next time I won't have a conflict and we can meet up.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Yes, I don't think I have ever had them ask me to open the hood. But ever since they had that accident out there earlier this summer I hear they have really cracked down. A friend of mine was putting on Fastest LS in the Midwest event and it ending up getting cancelled after the accident due to a huge insurance cost increase at the last minute. Let me know when you think you will be getting back out there.

P.S My sons wedding was wonderful and seeing family we haven't seen in a long time was great also. Hopefully next time I won't have a conflict and we can meet up.
I got the 5 point harness in so we will be good to go next time. Dave and I are trying to coordinate schedules so he can do some data logging and tuning at the track. It looking like either the first or last weekend of Oct. I`ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
It looks really well planted as it goes down the drag strip. Be great to see this get some national coverage. You may not be aware of this, but by choosing the Kappa platform you're changing a lot of peoples attitudes about the Solstice and Sky. :dthumbs:

81 - 100 of 130 Posts