Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On some relatively minor bumps, my radio will do a momentary cutout. Comes back on after a second or two. Anyone else have this issue or know the source? I'm guessing it could be a loose connector. If it's an issue internal to the radio, I'm not sure I want to mess with it. But it is a bit random. It will typically cut out when I'm backing out of my driveway. But a couple of goat trail spots on my way to work, rough bumps, but it doesn't.

·
Registered
456 Posts
sounds like what mine used to do.does it switch to aux at random when it cuts out?
that's what mine is doing now. Did you ever find a solution?

TS suggested it might be poor contacts from the faceplate to the unit. I haven't explored that yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
693 Posts
i replaced the radio with a single cd factory unit bought for99 bucks off ebay.thinking about cleaning the contacts as per instructions when time presents itself,the worst part would be having to remove and reinstall(and hopefully not remove again)the 6 cd changer radio...

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Radio? CD? MP3 in the aux jack? All of the above?

Certainly sounds like a loose connection. I don't recall seeing anything specific about it though. Soup might shine a little light on it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like what mine used to do.does it switch to aux at random when it cuts out?
I think that's what it's doing. Though I'm mostly paying attention to where the car is moving at the time rather than looking at the radio. I think I've seen it switching from aux mode when it comes back on.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have a 2006 Solstice that had this problem very early on - I took it to the dealership and they did something to fix it, but I don't have any idea what they did.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i replaced the radio with a single cd factory unit bought for99 bucks off ebay.thinking about cleaning the contacts as per instructions when time presents itself,the worst part would be having to remove and reinstall(and hopefully not remove again)the 6 cd changer radio...
This is what gives me pause. Cleaning the contacts isn't that much of an issue. Getting access to them is. I looked at what's involved in getting access to the radio. It looks to be quite involved.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Soup speaks the truth. I was hesitant the first time I dove into my dash. Once you get into it, it's not bad at all. Use the link above - it'll step you right through it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i replaced the radio in like an hour and a half tops,and i was very slow and cautious.there is a DIY thread in here somewhere that is very good,pics and all...

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
i replaced the radio in like an hour and a half tops,and i was very slow and cautious.there is a DIY thread in here somewhere that is very good,pics and all...
You mean, the one I linked to, two posts above? :banghead:

·
Registered
693 Posts
got up this morning,removed the faceplate on my old 6-cd unit and cleaned the whole thing with electrical contact cleaner.didnt see anything dirty or corroded,but when i reinstalled it,it seems to be working.will be going on a long drive today so i should know by tonight for sure.got done in about an hour...went on a 60 mile drive last night.apparently the radio is fixed.thanks again,TS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts